• Created
  • Last Reply

An Honest, statement by the PM,

Who i think will be glad to walk away from the cesspit,

being a blunt abrupt person is his military training and dealings,

taking the uniform off and having to suddenly be a statesmen dealing with all

manner of the problems that were already taking place, plus the intervention

of military rule to quell the violence, and then ( try ) and govern

Time will tell if all his efforts have been for zilch.

He has tried to the best of ( his ) capabilities, limited they may be,

debatable if the next one does any better,

No one forced him to be the leader of t

he Coup and no one is forcing him to stay now.

He made a choice, stand by and watch the situation deteriorate more., or as he chose to do, once made ,

I think pressures from inside and outside pushed him into the role as the head,

Time limit i think he was sure would be short, until he has seen first hand the monumental problems with both sides of government,

I think of him as playing a referees role and being a longer game than he has wanted, the essence of his time is being able to walk away

and have the understanding of the people, and (all sides ) of the next potential government, ( act with integrity )

Unless you have been privy to what has been said to opposition peoples it is pure speculation.

Being accountable and i think he will be , pity we could not say the same for the previous 2 PM's

Denial is still their defence.

Being blunt and no idea about playing politics to the extent he has had to do , how would you have done?

Seeing through all the rhetoric is just a man who loves his country, acting in good faith for that country,

very easy standing on the outside throwing dispersions , but do you have all the information,? do you have the deep seated love for the country?

when did he intervene? when could he have intervened prior to when he did,? As you know he could have reacted many times earlier.

Many things i don't agree with, some of the advice he has been given has been shoddy to say the least.

Would you have done better doubtful , would i have ?doubtful , anyone on this site doubtful ? you play the hand you have. (guaranteed not to please them all)

Asian politics sure is no easy road.

I am but a (GUEST) in this country, still free to come and go.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/06/suthep-prayuth-and-i-have-been-planning-a-coup-since-2010/

You keep drinking that sweet, sweet Kool aid buddy.

An Honest, statement by the PM, Who i think will be glad to walk away from the cesspit, being a blunt abrupt person is his military training and dealings,taking the uniform off and having to suddenly be a statesmen dealing with all manner of the problems that were already taking place, plus the intervention of military rule to quell the violence, and then ( try ) and gover

Time will tell if all his efforts have been for zilch. He has tried to the best of ( his ) capabilities, limited they may be,debatable if the next one does any better,

Well educated military officers with a respect for the concepts of separation of duties and the independence of government institutions do not talk in this fashion. Please look closely at the conduct of the military in the UK, USA, Denmark, Australia, Israel, Netherlands, Germany etc. and you will understand.

Those countries have had more than a thousand years to develop democracy yet Thailand has had less than 100. Look back into history and see which of those countries have invaded the others an put in their version of "democracy" over the years.

In the UK in 1918 women got to vote, but ONLY if they were over 30 and house holders. It wasn't until 1928 that all women over 21 were allowed to vote.

How about the USA when women waited until 1920 to get the vote.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/electionsvoting/womenvote/overview/thevote/

Australia 1902, Denmark 1903, Israel 1948, The Netherlands 1919, Thailand 1932.

Look at "democracy" as an on-going project worldwide by all the countries of the world. They are travelling to a roughly similar destination at differing speeds. Most western countries have achieved their main goal years and decades ago but in the last year or so have modified democracy due to both home grown and international terrorism.

Freedom of speech and freedom of movement are being restricted in Europe after being loosened for quite a few years. Is that democratic or not? The countries are still democratic but for example some social media websites are being shut down. The police and the army carrying live weapons are patrolling the streets and cities of Europe and the UK.

The police and the army carrying live weapons are patrolling the streets and cities of Israel where millions of Palestinians are disenfranchised, yet Israel claims to be a democratic country.

Many countries in the Arab Gulf claim to be "democratic" but according to some standards they are not.

The USA claims to be "democratic" yet still holds people from other countries in Guantanamo. Are they "democratic"?

What has the USA holding people they believe to be dangerous criminals got to do with whether they are Democratic or not? The concept of democracy basically dictates that persons of a particular country have the opportunity to elect groups of individuals to represent them.

Now how has that got anything to do with the USA holding people in Guantanamo?

Democracy is not simply a matter of elections as they are only the first step. That should be followed by transparency, accountability, honesty, moral standards and many other parts of democracy.

Do you think it is democratic for one government to interfere in the democratic running of another country because the first country doesn't like the way a second country is run? Is that your version of democracy?

An Honest, statement by the PM, Who i think will be glad to walk away from the cesspit, being a blunt abrupt person is his military training and dealings,taking the uniform off and having to suddenly be a statesmen dealing with all manner of the problems that were already taking place, plus the intervention of military rule to quell the violence, and then ( try ) and gover

Time will tell if all his efforts have been for zilch. He has tried to the best of ( his ) capabilities, limited they may be,debatable if the next one does any better,

Well educated military officers with a respect for the concepts of separation of duties and the independence of government institutions do not talk in this fashion. Please look closely at the conduct of the military in the UK, USA, Denmark, Australia, Israel, Netherlands, Germany etc. and you will understand.

Those countries have had more than a thousand years to develop democracy yet Thailand has had less than 100. Look back into history and see which of those countries have invaded the others an put in their version of "democracy" over the years.

In the UK in 1918 women got to vote, but ONLY if they were over 30 and house holders. It wasn't until 1928 that all women over 21 were allowed to vote.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/electionsvoting/womenvote/overview/thevote/

Look at "democracy" as an on-going project worldwide by all the countries of the world. They are travelling to a roughly similar destination at differing speeds. Most western countries have achieved their main goal years and decades ago but in the last year or so have modified democracy due to both home grown and international terrorism.

Freedom of speech and freedom of movement are being restricted in Europe after being loosened for quite a few years. Is that democratic or not? The countries are still democratic but for example some social media websites are being shut down. The police and the army carrying live weapons are patrolling the streets and cities of Europe and the UK.

The police and the army carrying live weapons are patrolling the streets and cities of Israel where millions of Palestinians are disenfranchised, yet Israel claims to be a democratic country.

Many countries in the Arab Gulf claim to be "democratic" but according to some standards they are not.

The USA claims to be "democratic" yet still holds people from other countries in Guantanamo. Are they "democratic"?

What has the USA holding people they believe to be dangerous criminals got to do with whether they are Democratic or not? The concept of democracy basically dictates that persons of a particular country have the opportunity to elect groups of individuals to represent them.

Democracy is not simply a matter of elections as they are only the first step. That should be followed by transparency, accountability, honesty, moral standards and many other parts of democracy.

Do you think it is democratic for one government to interfere in the democratic running of another country because the first country doesn't like the way a second country is run? Is that your version of democracy?

Had a chance to read that asia correspondent article I have now posted twice or are you willfully ignoring it?

He made a choice, stand by and watch the situation deteriorate more., or as he chose to do, once made ,

Time limit i think he was sure would be short, until he has seen first hand the monumental problems with both sides of government,

I think of him as playing a referees role and being a longer game than he has wanted, the essence of his time is being able to walk away

and have the understanding of the people, and (all sides ) of the next potential government, ( act with integrity )

Unless you have been privy to what has been said to opposition peoples it is pure speculation.

Being accountable and i think he will be , pity we could not say the same for the previous 2 PM's

Being blunt and no idea about playing politics to the extent he has had to do , how would you have done?

Seeing through all the rhetoric is just a man who loves his country, acting in good faith for that country,

very easy standing on the outside throwing dispersions , but do you have all the information,? do you have the deep seated love for the country?

when did he intervene? when could he have intervened prior to when he did,? As you know he could have reacted many times earlier.

Many things i don't agree with, some of the advice he has been given has been shoddy to say the least.

Would you have done better doubtful , would i have ?doubtful , anyone on this site doubtful ? you play the hand you have. (guaranteed not to please them all)

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/06/suthep-prayuth-and-i-have-been-planning-a-coup-since-2010/

I'm not supporting all of Leeneeds posts but anyone who posts a link to a piece of Bangkok Pundit's crap - twice, even worse - as an 'answer' to anything has no idea of what a credible source is.

I do hope you're not gullible enough to believe it.

I'm not supporting all of Leeneeds posts but anyone who posts a link to a piece of Bangkok Pundit's crap - twice, even worse - as an 'answer' to anything has no idea of what a credible source is.

I do hope you're not gullible enough to believe it.

Here is another source if u didn't like the first one..

http://time.com/2910484/thai-coup-planned-2010-suthep-thaugsuban/

Those countries have had more than a thousand years to develop democracy

One would think that a nation that desired to become a democratic society could use that 1,000 years of experience to swiftly perfect its own democratic society. Several nations in the last 100 years have done just that - some painlessly, some violently.

Instead Prayut and his military minions declare that there has never been a nation like Thailand when it comes to instilling democracy. And for that reason all worldly experiences must be rejected and a special Thai-acracy must be developed - returning Thailand back to a feudal society. That's not progress.

Indeed i will

quote-Paulo-Freire-washing-ones-hands-of

All you guys working in Thailand, retired to Thailand or with wives and families in Thailand are just as guilty of supporting the Junta as Pontius Pilate was of killing Jesus. If you stay in Thailand or go there on holiday then you are indirectly suppprting and financing the regime.

Stop bitching about what's happening and get out of the country now. By staying in Thailand eventually your money makes its way into the pockets of the elite. By staying in Thailand you give tacit support to the Junta because they can turn around and say 'well you're happy enough to stay here'

Stop washing your hands and get out of the country. Send a message by leaving this pariah state. If you stay then you are complicit in the crime against the Thai people.

Not one Asian country

Discussions and debating are very healthy for my brain,

drinking the kool aid as one poster put it,

is all fine , at the end of the day, i will have no say

in what comes, only to say i have had conversations with Khun S

in Bangkok during the demonstrations,

prior to the military taking control,

candid as they were, every one believes they have walked the right path

Mr T, Ms y, Mr A, Mr S, Mr P,

at the end of today i can still post this uncensored with no fear of the A A

The USA have made a few light statments about Thailand in two and a half years, its hardly intefereing. In fact no one would even talk about their statements if people did not get their knickers in a twist about them. How has the USA interfered in Thailand's running of the country?

Prayut seems quite happy to go to the US, i have no doubt many of the hi so PDRC/military supporters despite their faux outrage at the US, still send their children to school and university in the US, holiday there, have holiday homes there.

I think the US meddles in far to many country affairs, but a few light statements which are simply brushed off is not exactly interfering. The reason people get in such a paddy about it, is that they know what they say is correct, and as you will appreciate the truth hurts.

Surely a country commenting on another country is more a foregin policy issue rather than a democracy issue.

Hasn't anybody told this little man that it is not all about him, that he isn't the centre of the universe or even Thailand for that matter. General, you are nothing more than a commissioned army clerk, your leadership skills within the military and your illegal government are poor, your PR skills are deplorable and please understand, a proxy is not needed because you were never meant to be anything more than you are now, the stand in ring master for this second rate circus. You will go down in history as a complete failure who pushed Thailand back into the dark ages. Now having said that, where do I report for attitude adjustment?

Put yourself on the waitinglist.

If he was going to be accountable, why have they written an amnesty for themselves into the Constitution? for past and present and future actions.

Do these seem like the actions of someone who you believe will hold himself accountable?

Yes it is easy to throw dispersions, much as you are doing.

Discussions and debating are very healthy for my brain,

drinking the kool aid as one poster put it,

is all fine , at the end of the day, i will have no say

in what comes, only to say i have had conversations with Khun S

in Bangkok during the demonstrations,

prior to the military taking control,

candid as they were, every one believes they have walked the right path

Mr T, Ms y, Mr A, Mr S, Mr P,

at the end of today i can still post this uncensored with no fear of the A A

Most likely because the site is hosted in Singapore. Wake up and smell the coffee.

All you guys working in Thailand, retired to Thailand or with wives and families in Thailand are just as guilty of supporting the Junta as Pontius Pilate was of killing Jesus. If you stay in Thailand or go there on holiday then you are indirectly suppprting and financing the regime.

Stop bitching about what's happening and get out of the country now. By staying in Thailand eventually your money makes its way into the pockets of the elite. By staying in Thailand you give tacit support to the Junta because they can turn around and say 'well you're happy enough to stay here'

Stop washing your hands and get out of the country. Send a message by leaving this pariah state. If you stay then you are complicit in the crime against the Thai people.

It would be a rational response.

I think investors are making decisions unfavorable to Thailand every day now.

This will be the Junta's undoing.

If he was going to be accountable, why have they written an amnesty for themselves into the Constitution? for past and present and future actions.

Do these seem like the actions of someone who you believe will hold himself accountable?

Neither is he playing a referee row when he flashes the red card at his whims and fancy. That's the most ridiculous analogy so far.

My wife will not leave her elderly parents.

I am not cold blooded enough to walk out on my wife and daughter.

My wife will not leave her elderly parents.

I am not cold blooded enough to walk out on my wife and daughter.

Yeah but according to some posters Jag, if you don't like the glorious military "government" (I wanna use a different word but it is banned) of Thailand then you know you should just LEAVE.

Cos it is that simple for some posters whistling.gif

Not one Asian country
India.

Malaysia.

Singapore.

Not one Asian country
India.

Malaysia.

Singapore.

Taiwan

South Korea

Japan has a strange situation with its military. But has embraced democracy and done very well because of it. The last coup attempt there was near the end of the war.

Not one Asian country
India.

Malaysia.

Singapore.

Taiwan

South Korea

Japan has a strange situation with its military. But has embraced democracy and done very well because of it. The last coup attempt there was near the end of the war.

Given this discussion about accountability of military, I though it would be instructive to review exactly what the 1st draft charter (April 2015) said about the Thai military. This is it; there is nothing else:

[Note: per my interpretation of the text below, the Thai military is not accountable to anyone, except for approval of appointments and transfers at highest levels.]

Section 79: [providing for funding of the military and their needs] The State shall... arrange for the maintenance of necessary and adequate armed forces and modern military ordnances and technology for the aforesaid purpose and for national development.
Section 121. [top military officers are permitted to be Senators] Obtaining of Senators as follows: (1) members who having been civil services holding position of Permanent Secretary or equivalent which is an administrative position, military officials who having been Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defense, Commander in Chief or Commander of the Armies.
Section 191. [Ability of military to declare martial law without oversight] In the case where it is necessary to declare martial law in a certain locality as a matter of urgency, the military authority may do so under the Martial Law.
Section 196. [provides for approval of military appointments and transfers at highest levels... text not reproduced in deference to TV forum rules]
Section 222. [a rule concerning judicial disputes] In the case of a dispute on the competent jurisdictions of the Court of Justice, the Administrative Court, the Military Court or any other Courts, a ruling shall be made by the committee consisting of the Presidents of the Courts...
Section 226. [term of office for head of military court] The President of the Supreme Court of Justice, the President of the Supreme Administrative Court and President of other Courts other than the Constitutional Court and the Military Court shall hold the position for four years as from the date of their appointment...
[No age limit for military court judges] Judge of the Court of Justice, the Administrative Court and other Courts except the Military Court who reaches sixty five years of age shall be retired...
Section 227. [military court does not have independent secretariat] The Constitutional Court, the Court of Justice, the Administrative Court and the other Courts other than the Military Court shall have independent secretariat....
Section 245. [basic scope of military courts; anything permitted by law; under martial law that means anything] Military Court has the power to try and adjudicate cases involving offenders are subject to the jurisdiction of the Military Courts and other cases as provided by law.
The appointment and removal from office of military judges shall be as provided by law.
Section 249 ... [prohibiting PM and Ministers from outside compensation, except...] The provisions of this section shall not apply in the case where the Prime Minister or Ministers receives military pensions...

Ohh boo hoo.

He had been planning to PM since 2011. He was happy to take the role for the elite her serves, so he should learn to suck it up.

How observant of you and I am sure you can back up what you have said.

You know, the usual way with links and reports, otherwise it is only your opinion which is worth as much as anybody elses opinion. To you it may be worth something but to Thais it is worth the same as mine. Nothing.

Oh I was wrong it was 2010 actually. Straight from old toad heads mouth.

Happy reading.

Thank you very much for the link.

See how easy it is to put in a link so that people can check.

I suppose that you could always ask the same question about Thaksin, Yingluck and the previous PTP government who wanted an amnesty going back quite a few years but failed in their endeavours to get one. Why would THEY need one if they had done nothing wrong?

I suppose that you could always ask the same question about Thaksin, Yingluck and the previous PTP government who wanted an amnesty going back quite a few years but failed in their endeavours to get one. Why would THEY need one if they had done nothing wrong?

Wow you certainly missed the point. Lee said he believes that Prayut will be willing to be held to account for his actions. I pointed out that he has written a rather all encompassing amnesty into the Constitution, which tends to make standing to account rather immaterial, and does not exactly support Lee;s point.

Not quite sure why you are talking about TS etc.

I don't think one person on here, even their biggest supporters would say they are not corrupt.

After seeing the majority turn their back on the last govt through protesting there will be no need for a nominee PM.

When the previous govt promises 8 times to pay the farmers before Suthep was even in the picture one can be assured that that side of the political persuasion have limited support now and into the future.

Mind you if that side offer 90% above market value for rice then Prayut better think again.

After seeing the majority turn their back on the last govt through protesting there will be no need for a nominee PM.

When the previous govt promises 8 times to pay the farmers before Suthep was even in the picture one can be assured that that side of the political persuasion have limited support now and into the future.

Mind you if that side offer 90% above market value for rice then Prayut better think again.

How do you bridge the chasm between the number of people who protested in Bangkok in 2013/2014, as compared to the majority of voters in Thailand?

Archived