Monkey attacks on tourists spark official action

snoop1130

The have simply adopted the habits of local tuk tuk drivers, "security guards", jet ski operators and other local scum ........ "the monkeys get agitated, sometimes biting or scratching them,”

Perhaps a few more signs warning tourists of this greater danger might help.

Learning from the best.

I have never particularly liked monkeys because they are too much like us.

Even so, tourists have taught them that they can expect to be fed by tourists and that has resulted in the (slightly exaggerated) human emotion of getting aggressive when something expected is denied.

Presumably this 'problem' wasn't a problem until tourists arrived, as the locals knew that monkeys would take any food within their reach and wouldn't dream of feeding wild monkeys?

All that aside, I once saw a lady leaving the hotel to get to nearest big hospital. Badly bitten by a monkey , holiday ruined and cut short, and my, did that bite look bad. !

Where was the hotel that this would happen???

Sitting in a Khao Lak coffee shop one morning I saw a monkey steal someone's bag and run up a tree with it. Hilarious as the woman tried to throw things to get it back, whilst the monkey ignored this and gradually threw things down when he found them of no interest. It was only when the woman/group left that the monkey threw the bag down laugh.png .

Teachings about animals start when a baby has just been born. Cutsy putsy liitle ducks, cats, dogs, monkeys, tigers, kuala, bears dolls etc.

All animals incl. the above can be dangerous, but the kids are not taught of the dangers. Try to grab a rabbit !!

Teachings about animals start when a baby has just been born. Cutsy putsy liitle ducks, cats, dogs, monkeys, tigers, kuala, bears dolls etc.

All animals incl. the above can be dangerous, but the kids are not taught of the dangers. Try to grab a rabbit !!

Better still, don't treat wild animals as tame animals - and only tourists make this mistake.

And yes, I too stupidly (as a tourist) fed wild animals, not to mention becoming the best friend of a tethered monkey in a resort... I don't much lke monkeys, but felt sorry for him being tethered. He bit everyone else that came within his reach, but was happy sitting on me - as long as I didn't move away...

Needless to say, he eventually bit the resort owner's daughter and was released lnto the wild. Hopefully he had enough skills to survive back in the wild, but I seriously hate those who put animals into this position - and have little sympathy for those who get bitten when thinking of it as a safe tourist activity.

I got bit in Ayutthaya. I to take rabies shots. Took me about a week if I remember right. Not fun!

One ran up and grabbed my GF's scarf and I stepped on the scarf while he was running away. It turned and attacked me. They are very strong for there size.

Its because of stupid tourists feeding the damned things that they have lost their natural fear of man.In Florida there is a 250 mile wire fence down the highway they call Alligator alley.If you are caught passing food through the mesh,its 2000 dollar fine.Animals that can be predatory,have a natural fear of man.These Monkey's lost theirs a long time ago.What do you expect?

There was a similar situation with kangaroos in Australia which I have experienced. If you didn't provide food for them they would physically attack, and I mean they grabbed you with their claws, which hurts, and try to take things from you. Bearing in mind that these fellows are taller than we were it is an uncomfortable experience and was brought about by people feeding them. Same situation with these monkeys.

Also with the Dingoes on Frazer island with campers feeding them.

A rabbit? What about them? Are they dangerous? Oh, wait have a look at the following clip from a factual re enactment.

As you enter the Monkey Forest in Ubud, Bali you will see the locals buying "U-back" sticks. Works well as the monkeys stay well away from anyone carrying a stick. Seems to work on all sorts of other animals as well. Walk softly, carry no food and hold a big stick!

I pepper sprayed one that grabbed a little girl because she had an ice cream, it screeched and screeched, almost felt sorry for it, until a bunch more started surrounding us..I sprayed a few then picked up a stick and they all went to bother someone else......I got some hated looks from the tourists, but the locals laughed and clapped their hands.coffee1.gif I love Bali but they can keep their damned Monkeys, they wouldn't last long in Vietnam, they'd be BBQ'd in a heartbeat, but the Hindi's have some sort of affection toward them.

So, the monkeys are biting and scratching tourists who don't feed them.

The authorities put up a multi-lingual sign which reads, "Don't feed the monkeys."

The expected outcome is . . . ?

I guess they think the monkey's can read.

Archived