Moving to Kanchanaburi - Advice needed

martinjakobsen

Call this expat and permanent residence in Kancha; has the only reality office there (and a great guy): 'Irish John' & Nam: 0822929912

I loved Kanchanaburi; (moved to Phuket, a sea/beach lover) many wonderful qualities of easy/relax living with a beautiful country-side. As well as great (small number) bunch of expats. I think you already know..

Good luck, mention Ricardo says "Hello"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we note that you are so successful at integrating into thai community that you have a laos wife. look admit you got it wrong and look elsewhere than kan and region.

Haha! You really got me there, buddy... I bet you are a real genius. handsome as Hell, and succesful as f"#k! Get well soon, buddy smile.png

Go be a pest somewhere else, little, angry fellow. You are not contributing at all.

Should be a little masochistic to help your problem "buddy". You are imbued with your person and you ask you judge interventions to meet you.
While doing all by yourself to settle down in that hole in the world's ass that is Kan

Please refer from using Google translate, when you clearly have no clue on how it works. Buddy. Contribute or see your way out, sweetheart.

Hi Martin.

Welcome to Kan "The Land of Peace and Love".

large.jpg

Been living here for 14 years, visited Kan many time before that and yes it would be a place for you and your family to stay and chill out.

BLACKJACK2 mentioned the areas that have some houses for rent so have a look there first.

We also have a Robinson Shopping Mall (Tops) on the outer ring road .

All in all everything you need is in Kan together with the

the beautiful natural scenery

Views of Kan as I have seen them

http://www.pbase.com/win13/muang_kan

and Maps

http://www.pbase.com/win13/maps

Hope this helps you.

Win thumbsup.gif

Thank you very much for the pictures and tips! Great of you to help :)

Can only put my 5 satangs worth in as a tourist but I liked it there.

Compared to hot and smoggy Bangkok, Kanchanaburi was much cooler, breezy, very fresh air.

I saw some houses on the river that did not look occupied, the thought of some cold drinks and a fishing line (as I saw locals with nets pulling out big fish), looked like a great thing, bit of noise from the speedboats and the party cruiser, but not over the top noisy.

As Kan Win mentions town has everything you need. Best of luck with the move !

Thanks a lot :)

Call this expat and permanent residence in Kancha; has the only reality office there (and a great guy): 'Irish John' & Nam: 0822929912

I loved Kanchanaburi; (moved to Phuket, a sea/beach lover) many wonderful qualities of easy/relax living with a beautiful country-side. As well as great (small number) bunch of expats. I think you already know..

Good luck, mention Ricardo says "Hello"

Thx for the tip! i will give him a call and give him your best wishes :)

lived here 12 years...been all just about....your place your seeking be great location close to queen surikit hospital ..mountains .trees, theme park...fresh air,

ocean,,,go google images type in Bang Saray...hard to beat

Gary

post-244003-0-85161000-1459777774_thumb.

I have only passed through a few times. Loved Erawan and I think there is now quite a growing resort area near Kan in the mtns... tons of resorts popping up nearby... I live rural too but we do not have tourists here and I think that aspect of Kan would be nice... more farang restaurants and maybe an enjoyable social aspect to having tourists coming through.

If it were me looking and unsure - I would work out a deal for a months stay in a small resort and take the time to look around. These decisions are better made with a little time under your belt in the area... give it a try and see how it goes...

Good luck.. Hope it works well for you.

""I hope to hear from you and look forward to become a part of the community"" no that aint going to happen

Sad but true. All foreigners here are considered Tourists and ATM machines.

(Life is what you make it wink.png )

wai.gif

Generalizations are dangerous, including this one. re Tourists and ATM's ( actually AT Machines, if you want to be pedantic, as PI Number)

I have a couple of friends who have been living there for years and both families are happy there.

Go there yourself,OP, and spend as much time as you can afford looking around, first hand experience is best.

It's a sad fact that the majority of answers you get will be in the negative.

I enjoy Kanchanaburi. It is pretty self-contained with regards to shopping, so you wouldn't need to go to Bkk often. There are numerous hospitals. Internet is the same as the rest of Thailand in my experience. The dining selection is good, which shouldn't be a surprise considering the number of tourists and expats there.

There do seem to be quite a number of long term retirees there. I didn't find them the friendliest. In my 20 odd trips to Kanchanaburi I didn't find much in the way of younger long timers. I am sure there are some, but not sure where they spend time.

Kanchanaburi is a great province if you love the outdoors. I have done a fair bit of motorbike touring, hiking, and general exploring. The further you get away from the city towards the Myanmar border, the better. having said that there are caves, temples, cave temples, and much more to explore less than a 30 minute drive away. I would certainly consider living there if work allowed.

I have only passed through a few times. Loved Erawan and I think there is now quite a growing resort area near Kan in the mtns... tons of resorts popping up nearby... I live rural too but we do not have tourists here and I think that aspect of Kan would be nice... more farang restaurants and maybe an enjoyable social aspect to having tourists coming through.

If it were me looking and unsure - I would work out a deal for a months stay in a small resort and take the time to look around. These decisions are better made with a little time under your belt in the area... give it a try and see how it goes...

Good luck.. Hope it works well for you.

Thank you! I will go there in two weeks time and have a look :)

I enjoy Kanchanaburi. It is pretty self-contained with regards to shopping, so you wouldn't need to go to Bkk often. There are numerous hospitals. Internet is the same as the rest of Thailand in my experience. The dining selection is good, which shouldn't be a surprise considering the number of tourists and expats there.

There do seem to be quite a number of long term retirees there. I didn't find them the friendliest. In my 20 odd trips to Kanchanaburi I didn't find much in the way of younger long timers. I am sure there are some, but not sure where they spend time.

Kanchanaburi is a great province if you love the outdoors. I have done a fair bit of motorbike touring, hiking, and general exploring. The further you get away from the city towards the Myanmar border, the better. having said that there are caves, temples, cave temples, and much more to explore less than a 30 minute drive away. I would certainly consider living there if work allowed.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I'd say good choice, although everybody has different needs and priorities, but I often travel to Kan for the day from suphanburi, nice bike ride,, good scenery around the area, as you say it's easily accessible to Bangkok and also not too far to beaches in Cha am and surrounding area

I'd say good choice, although everybody has different needs and priorities, but I often travel to Kan for the day from suphanburi, nice bike ride,, good scenery around the area, as you say it's easily accessible to Bangkok and also not too far to beaches in Cha am and surrounding area

I am pretty sure it will be great! I like the beach area in Cha-Am and I have lived in Hua Hin for two years some time ago. We are all excited to move there :) Thx!

There are dozen's of mid-sized towns located near major rivers in Thailand. If you have seen one, you have seen them all.

What differentiates "Kancha" from all the rest is: There is a "Farang-Mile".(Mae Nam Kwae Rd). Something that other "mid-sized-towns" along a river usually don't have.

On the "Farang-Mile" one can find plenty of Farangs, that have come to the conclusion that Sukhumvit Rd in BKK is just too expensive in the long run.

Surely, OP has done some research beforehand and has chosen "Kancha" as the best of 2 worlds as many others have before.

Cheers.

I just sat here for 10 minutes thinking about what to reply. And then it hit me; "Swissie" is probably just mad and discontent with his or her life in Thailand. And I accept that. It has nothing to do with me. But some people just don't have the same skills or chances to navigate aroung this country as others. And it must be a pretty big pill to swallow. I, for one, would feel like shit, having to live a life like that... It is what it is... Yet I do feel sorry for people like this...

How would you ever know about my reasons for concidering living in Kanchanaburi? Other than the ones I spoke of here? Your comments are presumptuous and I wholeheartedly wish for you to get well soon. I actually love people like you. Weak-minded individuals with a lack of experience and talent citing the next guys dilemma. Like kindergarten retards. Cute smile.png

I really like you. You are cute. Like, really... Thanks for making us all smarter by joining the thread here!

Have I hit a "raw nerve"? You don't seem to be interested in feedback's that describe something "as it is", as instead of how it should be in your imagination. Instead of asking productive follow-up questions to a post, you fire off a barrage of personal insults as soon as a reply is not according to your expectations. Bravo!

I visit Kancha and Cha-Am regularly. I have a strange feeling, we would not make for good neighbors in either city. Sorry "Buddy".

Cheers.

There are dozen's of mid-sized towns located near major rivers in Thailand. If you have seen one, you have seen them all.

What differentiates "Kancha" from all the rest is: There is a "Farang-Mile".(Mae Nam Kwae Rd). Something that other "mid-sized-towns" along a river usually don't have.

On the "Farang-Mile" one can find plenty of Farangs, that have come to the conclusion that Sukhumvit Rd in BKK is just too expensive in the long run.

Surely, OP has done some research beforehand and has chosen "Kancha" as the best of 2 worlds as many others have before.

Cheers.

I just sat here for 10 minutes thinking about what to reply. And then it hit me; "Swissie" is probably just mad and discontent with his or her life in Thailand. And I accept that. It has nothing to do with me. But some people just don't have the same skills or chances to navigate aroung this country as others. And it must be a pretty big pill to swallow. I, for one, would feel like shit, having to live a life like that... It is what it is... Yet I do feel sorry for people like this...

How would you ever know about my reasons for concidering living in Kanchanaburi? Other than the ones I spoke of here? Your comments are presumptuous and I wholeheartedly wish for you to get well soon. I actually love people like you. Weak-minded individuals with a lack of experience and talent citing the next guys dilemma. Like kindergarten retards. Cute smile.png

I really like you. You are cute. Like, really... Thanks for making us all smarter by joining the thread here!

Have I hit a "raw nerve"? You don't seem to be interested in feedback's that describe something "as it is", as instead of how it should be in your imagination. Instead of asking productive follow-up questions to a post, you fire off a barrage of personal insults as soon as a reply is not according to your expectations. Bravo!

I visit Kancha and Cha-Am regularly. I have a strange feeling, we would not make for good neighbors in either city. Sorry "Buddy".

Cheers.

My apologies for ranting. You didn't deserve that. I was in a dark place with other people commenting, calling my wife a prostitute and stuff like that. The amount of BS one has to deal with here is pretty amazing, but luckily there are nice, helpful people here as well. I don't react well to the BS. However I still don't find your comment very useful and have no follow-up comments really. We might not make good neighbors, but let's not worry about that. My apologies again :)

Would be smarter to at least spend a week there, not just visit twice !

Kanchanaburi or anywhere else around BKK is exactly the same, except that you are too far from the sea, which I think is ridiculous when living in a tropical country :-)

Who needs the sea when we have two rivers and Dams together with our very own Fresh Water Beach, local sand from the river by the way. tongue.png

Have a look:-

large.jpg

At least we still have deck chairs and shade unlike some beaches down south of Thailand where they are BANNED.

large.jpg

Win whistling.gif

Hi, I am an American woman living here in a small village. I have lived here in my husband's village for about 5 years. Most foreigners living in villages are married to Thais from that area. There are many new housing developments and apartments here, so finding a place to live should not be hard. We have Tesco, Big C and Macro and a new Robinson's mall with a Tops supermarket. There are a couple of private hospitals and a big public one that looks like the apocalypse every day. More and more private clinics are popping up all the time. There are also a couple of private schools. There are not many good restaurants, and you better like spicy food if you plan to eat with the locals.

I think most people are nice here, especially if you can speak Thai. Very few speak English. The traffic has gotten a lot worse lately, especially Friday through Sunday. I am from a small town, so I like it here much more than other areas where there are many foreigners. But then, I am mostly a homebody. It is very difficult to interact with other foreigners here. The cost of living is much lower than Bangkok. You will need a car, unless you live in the main city. Not much transportation here. I don't even have access to a songtaew here. Living in town might be the easiest thing, especially when you first move here. Then, you can meet people and get out and about in the villages. You may be able to rent a house in a village at a very cheap rate. I would be happy to show you around, but don't know how to give out contact info privately on here. If you have a way to get in touch to chat about it, I can meet you one day in the city and show you around a bit. I have an old truck and can drive you around if you don't have a car. You should definitely visit before you decide. It is not as developed for foreigners here as many places. Hope this was helpful. :)

Old hippy girl, you can click on Martin's nic and send him a PM (private message). At the very top of the page is an envelope there will be a red "1" that shows when he responds.

Very nice and friendly offer to the OP, very cool. One thing, the font you used was a little hard to read, sort of small, but no matter, nice post. Cheers, GOM

PS and reason for edit: I see Martin already got back with an email. All good !!!! Cheers.

Hi, I am an American woman living here in a small village. I have lived here in my husband's village for about 5 years. Most foreigners living in villages are married to Thais from that area. There are many new housing developments and apartments here, so finding a place to live should not be hard. We have Tesco, Big C and Macro and a new Robinson's mall with a Tops supermarket. There are a couple of private hospitals and a big public one that looks like the apocalypse every day. More and more private clinics are popping up all the time. There are also a couple of private schools. There are not many good restaurants, and you better like spicy food if you plan to eat with the locals.

I think most people are nice here, especially if you can speak Thai. Very few speak English. The traffic has gotten a lot worse lately, especially Friday through Sunday. I am from a small town, so I like it here much more than other areas where there are many foreigners. But then, I am mostly a homebody. It is very difficult to interact with other foreigners here. The cost of living is much lower than Bangkok. You will need a car, unless you live in the main city. Not much transportation here. I don't even have access to a songtaew here. Living in town might be the easiest thing, especially when you first move here. Then, you can meet people and get out and about in the villages. You may be able to rent a house in a village at a very cheap rate. I would be happy to show you around, but don't know how to give out contact info privately on here. If you have a way to get in touch to chat about it, I can meet you one day in the city and show you around a bit. I have an old truck and can drive you around if you don't have a car. You should definitely visit before you decide. It is not as developed for foreigners here as many places. Hope this was helpful. smile.png

Your comment was very helpful! Thank you very much smile.png

My wife and I are visiting from the 23rd to the 26th and we would love to meet with you and understand more about your experience with life in Kanchanaburi! The idea of driving around introducing us to the different areas is great! Exactly what we need! Please contact me on [email protected] and let's talk more there :)

Thanks again!

No need for PM, now..

Very nice people on this forum, and some others..

I posted Jack's property website 3 times on here.

Sounds beautiful.. I hope to make it over there again with more musical instruments..

Aloha

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2016 at 12:16 PM, Kan Win said:

Who needs the sea when we have two rivers and Dams together with our very own Fresh Water Beach, local sand from the river by the way. tongue.png

Have a look:-

large.jpg

At least we still have deck chairs and shade unlike some beaches down south of Thailand where they are BANNED.

large.jpg

Win whistling.gif

where is it exactly please ?

Hi noopin2014

This at Tha Lo traffic lights (where the Kan Outer Ring road 367 joins the road 323) coming into Kan from Bangkok. Just before the lights there is a small turning on your left into the Temple grounds and at the end of the road, there's the beach.

From Kan you have to make a U-turn after these light.

Win :shock1:

http://maps.pbase.com/win13/image/95978966

On 1/14/2018 at 1:31 PM, Kan Win said:

Hi noopin2014

This at Tha Lo traffic lights (where the Kan Outer Ring road 367 joins the road 323) coming into Kan from Bangkok. Just before the lights there is a small turning on your left into the Temple grounds and at the end of the road, there's the beach.

From Kan you have to make a U-turn after these light.

Win :shock1:

http://maps.pbase.com/win13/image/95978966

Fantastic, thanks Win !

Archived