Freight carriers urged to avoid operating on Songkran days

webfact

Freight carriers urged to avoid operating on Songkran days

fcfc1.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 April 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport has called on freight carriers to avoid transporting goods during the Songkran festival in order to help reduce traffic problems and road accidents.

Deputy Director-General of the Department of Land Transport Kamol Buranapong said the department had launched an intensive campaign to promote road safety and decrease accidents during the coming Songkran festival this year.

From 11-17 April, freight carriers should avoid operating. If they had to transport goods during Songkran, they should avoid using crowded routes during the times when most people traveled on roads, said the deputy director-general.

Mr.Kamol added that freight carriers should also make sure that their trucks had blockages to prevent goods from falling which might cause danger or an accident. The public can alert the authorities to unsafe driving behaviors by contacting the department at Hotline 1584.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-04 footer_n.gif

I can just see the police taking action if you called that hotline.. With all the checkpoints set up and even more so for the holiday, their should be no reason a truck would be unsafe on the roads. Most trucks driving are under maintained. Not like the USA that has very strict rules and can get a truck put off the roads for just one light not working

I can just see the police taking action if you called that hotline.. With all the checkpoints set up and even more so for the holiday, their should be no reason a truck would be unsafe on the roads. Most trucks driving are under maintained. Not like the USA that has very strict rules and can get a truck put off the roads for just one light not working

From what I've seen around Central Isaan the large fleet operators have relatively new and we'll maintained trucks (Linfox, RPC, etc.). It's the same operators who flog the vehicle to death, overloading and under maintaining, and the same pretty much applies to pick-pick-ups too!

I'd imagine only the big operators with contracts to supply Tesco Lotus, Big C, etc, will be on the roads, the smaller outfits and owner drivers will want to join in the fun.

In my village pretty much everything stops for the holiday, but some big town and city places need to operate 24/7. Fresh produce doesn't magically appear on the shelves, there is a whole supply chain behind the daily restocking of perishable goods.

... Fresh produce doesn't magically appear on the shelves, there is a whole supply chain behind the daily restocking of perishable goods.

Exactly, and the importance of road transport in supply chain management seems to be completely lost on the DDG of the LTO.

Archived