Cambodian business/ordinary visa + extension of stay

Hi,

I was wondering if I were to buy an ordinary/business visa at the Koh Kong border, hopefully for US$35 (though they will probably ask for more) in which case I might give them another buck or two (but no more) how long does it take to get a one year extension of stay done through a travel agency in Phnom Penh? I remember the last time I did it, it took about 2 days but I can't remember if it was 2 days as in apply today, get it back tomorrow or 2 days later.

I would like to get it back the next day and I'm willing to pay extra for this, if necessary. I am only staying in Phnom Penh for 2 nights, but the first night is Sunday and I leave on Tuesday. From Wednesday to Friday next week I assume immigration will be closed for the Khmer new year. Therefore I have no flexibility and it must be ready on Tuesday as I'm already leaving Phnom Penh on Tuesday afternoon. The reason for the extension of stay is my regular travels to Cambodia, often for business, and I want to avoid wasting pages in my passport for new Cambodian visas.

Similarly, can I get a Cambodian driver's licence extension (I already have an existing but expired one) done by the next day? Again, I recall getting one quite quickly when I first applied in 2010 and since then whenever I have renewed it, it has generally taken just a couple of days except in 2014, when it took a month? I guess I shouldn't have let my hotel handle it but rather I should have gone to Lucky! Lucky! motorcycle shop or similar, as they normally don't take very long. I have no problems paying extra for fast processing - in fact, if it takes too long, I would probably have to get it fedexed to Thailand, which would cost a lot more money.

Anyone have any recent experiences?

If you plan on staying on an extended visa you better have a job or open a business and apply for work permit or immigration and some very serious cops will be paying you a very serious visit. This is from experience. You can't just slide by using the ''ordinary'' visa (which is now considered to be a literal BUSINESS visa) by immigration. I was in Siem Reap last year as a very well off retiree. And they gave me a thorough interrogation my 9th month there. They said in no uncertain terms, ''if you have a business visa you better have a job or own a business'' PERIOD.

And I was'nt the only one this happened to.

Take it for what it's worth

I hardly think anyone will care if a business visa holder comes and goes to Cambodia for a few days at a time. I live in Thailand and have a job and business here. I may in the future also do something in Cambodia but unless I was spending most of my time there, the work permit thing is simply a matter of paying an extra US$125 or whatever it is and you'll be fine.

Anyway can you answer my questions about how long it will take to get my extension of stay? Or do I have to actually call Lucky Lucky because no one can give me an answer? I thought that's what the purpose of this forum was.

Why repeating what most people have told you that is wrong on other threads ?

If you plan on staying on an extended visa you better have a job or open a business and apply for work permit or immigration and some very serious cops will be paying you a very serious visit. This is from experience. You can't just slide by using the ''ordinary'' visa (which is now considered to be a literal BUSINESS visa) by immigration. I was in Siem Reap last year as a very well off retiree. And they gave me a thorough interrogation my 9th month there. They said in no uncertain terms, ''if you have a business visa you better have a job or own a business'' PERIOD.

And I was'nt the only one this happened to.

Take it for what it's worth

Hello again :-)

I think I will also do this, so I cannot apply for an e-visa online ? I need to pay for ordinary visa at Kohkong ?

Then pay a travel agency to extend it for 1 year ?

I am also thinking about doing some business with Cambodia just to secure the future.

And about the Cambodian driving license, can you tell me how to get one ?

Thanks again for all.

I hardly think anyone will care if a business visa holder comes and goes to Cambodia for a few days at a time. I live in Thailand and have a job and business here. I may in the future also do something in Cambodia but unless I was spending most of my time there, the work permit thing is simply a matter of paying an extra US$125 or whatever it is and you'll be fine.

Anyway can you answer my questions about how long it will take to get my extension of stay? Or do I have to actually call Lucky Lucky because no one can give me an answer? I thought that's what the purpose of this forum was.

The Cambodian Long term or Ordinary Visa is not strictly a Business Visa; though you need it to operate a business here.
If you are working or running a business a Work Permit is now Mandatory. You can only get a WP if your business or your employer is officially licenced.

If you are not working you can still get an Ordinary Visa.

Currently you do not need a Work Permit if you are not working. (There was a lot of conflicting info last year on that subject but I am certain that the original notices that all Foreigners needed a WP has now been superseded)

Last time I asked for a 24h express Visa it was an extra $100 on top of the $280 for Visa Extension; so I decided to wait for the 5 days over the weekend. Normally it still takes 2-3 working days. Don't forget the frequent bank holidays and if you are coming over Khmer New Year it will probably take 10 days.

I used to run a business in Cambodia until 2014. I am now on a UK Pension and other investment income so retired. Ive been passing through the Cambodia borders frequently and renewed my Ordinary Visa without any problems even though there is no Retirement Visa in place.

Getting a Cambodian Driving License is easy if you have a valid one from your home country. You go to a officially registered Driving School with your Licence.They will copy it and send copy to the Driving Licence Authority who will issue one in a bout 4 weeks. You will get a temporary licence.
I cannot be sure about price as the Cambodian Gov't have reduced the prices for Khmers and I'm not sure whether that applies to foreigners. It used to be $35 for I year for each catagory. You need a seperate licence for car inc Moto<125cc; to bigger bike if you have both as I do.
Hope that helps

The Cambodian Long term or Ordinary Visa is not strictly a Business Visa; though you need it to operate a business here.

If you are working or running a business a Work Permit is now Mandatory. You can only get a WP if your business or your employer is officially licenced.

If you are not working you can still get an Ordinary Visa.

Currently you do not need a Work Permit if you are not working. (There was a lot of conflicting info last year on that subject but I am certain that the original notices that all Foreigners needed a WP has now been superseded)

Last time I asked for a 24h express Visa it was an extra $100 on top of the $280 for Visa Extension; so I decided to wait for the 5 days over the weekend. Normally it still takes 2-3 working days. Don't forget the frequent bank holidays and if you are coming over Khmer New Year it will probably take 10 days.

I used to run a business in Cambodia until 2014. I am now on a UK Pension and other investment income so retired. Ive been passing through the Cambodia borders frequently and renewed my Ordinary Visa without any problems even though there is no Retirement Visa in place.

Getting a Cambodian Driving License is easy if you have a valid one from your home country. You go to a officially registered Driving School with your Licence.They will copy it and send copy to the Driving Licence Authority who will issue one in a bout 4 weeks. You will get a temporary licence.

I cannot be sure about price as the Cambodian Gov't have reduced the prices for Khmers and I'm not sure whether that applies to foreigners. It used to be $35 for I year for each catagory. You need a seperate licence for car inc Moto<125cc; to bigger bike if you have both as I do.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your reply. I will try to see if I can pay extra (even US$100 extra is OK) to get the visa the next day as that's the only chance I have, as I have no plans to spend an extra week hanging around Phnom Penh or Cambodia, which would also cost way, way more than just US$100 extra in food, accommodation and other costs (I know it's different if you're living there or had planned to stay there that long anyway). I'll be travelling in a full car and the main purpose of going to Cambodia has nothing to do with the extension, I simply thought I'd get it now seeing I'll be in Phnom Penh anyway, which will mean I won't have to keep getting a new Cambodian visa on each entry and filling up my passport in the process.

As for the licence, I thought it was a 1-year one and a 5-year one that had different requirements. I've already had 4 consecutive 1-year ones and all travel agencies, car and motorcycle rental agencies, as well as many hotels are able to apply for a new one or get an extension without you having to do anything. All that's needed is 1) either a copy of your valid foreign licence or your expired or about to expire Cambodian licence 2) a photocopy of your passport front and visa/entry stamp pages 3) a passport photograph 4) a local address if you don't already have one. I have paid anywhere from US$40-60 for this service.

My understanding is only the 5-year licence process has to go through a driving school. I have also read conflicting reports about the availability of 5-year licences for foreigners nowadays. Do you know if they're still available?

Although I have a valid motorcycle licence in Thailand, I'm not sure I could be bothered also getting a motorcycle licence for Cambodia though if it's not too much trouble I might. Normally when I'm in Cambodia I only drive cars these days, though occasionally I've been known to rent 250cc dirt bikes too.

Is there a fast processing service for driver's licences in Cambodia? In Thailand you can easily get a new one or renew one within minutes, don't see any reason why Cambodia needs a month. Just sayin'.

You have a much better chance for a 24 hr turnaround in Phnom Penhbut be aware the Khmer New Year is from 13th to 16th April

The Driving Licence system has supposedly been simplified but I can't say anything about a fast track process. In Phnom Penh i use Mittaheap Driving School at the junction of Sotheros and Shihanouk BVDs

Never bothered to get the 5 year licence as it costs more than 5x1 year licences. It may be cheaper now so I will consider if i can get one.
FYI I have hired cars in UK and Australia using My Cambodian Licence

A word of warning concerning the on arrival visa at Hat Lek/Koh Kong.These guys are notorious for overcharging.They will probably demand at least 40 to 45$ or the equivalent in Baht for the ordinary visa (officially 35$) You refuse and pay only 37$, your passport comes back with just a Tourist Visa,and they can pocket the difference of 7$.They refuse to change unless you pay extra.Better use the Poipet border or fly in for an ordinary visa.

Thank you, but I have no problem to pay any overcharge, especially when it's so low.

I am not a fighter for human rights :-)

A word of warning concerning the on arrival visa at Hat Lek/Koh Kong.These guys are notorious for overcharging.They will probably demand at least 40 to 45$ or the equivalent in Baht for the ordinary visa (officially 35$) You refuse and pay only 37$, your passport comes back with just a Tourist Visa,and they can pocket the difference of 7$.They refuse to change unless you pay extra.Better use the Poipet border or fly in for an ordinary visa.

Thanks for the advice, I have been through Koh Kong many times and am well aware of their games. Incidentally, every time I've gone through there it's been with a visa already.

In this case, I have to go through that border as 1) I'm driving and will be coming from Trat and 2) I'm also stopping by in Koh Kong and Sihanoukville as well as Phnom Penh so there is no time saving alternative to going through that crossing.

I suppose I could go for a Cambodian business visa at the embassy in Bangkok but not sure if I wanna drag myself there again - I will see if I can get away with paying just US$37 making it clear what I want at the border. If you are adamant that won't work I'll try paying say US$38-40. The Bangkok embassy plays a scam whereby you pay US$5 to get the visa within 10-30 mins while if you want to pay the official fee you'll have to wait 2 days.

So while I will probably have to smile through gritted teeth, if it's only an extra US$4-5 or so I can live with that, because having to show up at the Bangkok embassy will cost way more in fuel expenses, then they want a photocopy of your passport front page and entry stamp, a photograph and if you don't want to make the same trek back out there you'll be charged US$5 or a similar amount in Baht extra so there's really no advantage of going through the embassy. Unless maybe you happened to live very close to the area.

You have a much better chance for a 24 hr turnaround in Phnom Penhbut be aware the Khmer New Year is from 13th to 16th April

The Driving Licence system has supposedly been simplified but I can't say anything about a fast track process. In Phnom Penh i use Mittaheap Driving School at the junction of Sotheros and Shihanouk BVDs

Never bothered to get the 5 year licence as it costs more than 5x1 year licences. It may be cheaper now so I will consider if i can get one.

FYI I have hired cars in UK and Australia using My Cambodian Licence

Well, I'll see what happens, in the worst case scenario I will have spent US$5 or so more on my visa and can get an extension of stay on a new ordinary visa next time.

Regarding my driver's licence - I sent an email already to AVIS in Cambodia, who have previously helped me extend my Cambo 1 year driver's licence but haven't heard anything back yet. I might just call up Lucky Lucky or AVIS itself tomorrow if I don't hear from them by then.

Yes I know Mittapheap driving school, went there back in 2012 to enquire about a 5-year licence. Was told it would take about a week or two and cost somewhere in the region of US$250. I didn't have that long to wait around, only 3 days so I decided to skip it. If still available, I wouldn't mind going through the process to obtain a 5-year licence even if it involves a driving school. However, for now I can't justify getting anything more than a 1-year licence because as you say it's just too expensive, a lot more expensive than in Australia, where driver's licences are already quite expensive.

Interesting that UK and Aussie car rental agencies recognize Cambodian driver's licences. One time a few years ago when my Thai licence had expired, I tried to rent an AVIS car from Suvarnabhumi airport using my valid Cambodian licence. The clerk on duty rejected it but luckily I showed my Aussie licence which was accepted. So much for that bs about ASEAN integration and mutual acceptability of driver's licences. Clearly that is a crock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think any real problem if you already have an evisa, the main cheating is on visa on arrival price.

You may run into a few attempted scams ("health certificate" and the like) but just stand your ground, this happens at other crossings as well. If you look like you know where you are going and what you are doing, and do not reply or make eye contact with any touts, it helps.

• 1 year later...

Hi,  does anybody know how long someone can stay in Cambodia with a Thai car  before having to cross the border again ?

Actually can you live almost full time in Cambodia is you cross regularly ?

It will cost 150 thb a day ? Or is it possible to discuss the fee ?

Any idea ?    Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived