25 Thai provinces declared drought-stricken areas

webfact

25 provinces declared drought-stricken areas

0404004-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- 25 provinces which cover 114 districts and 501 villages have been declared drought-stricken areas by the Department of Prevention and Mitigation of Public Disasters, said Mr Chatchai Promlert, the department chief, on Monday.

The drought-stricken provinces are divided into three groups depending on the severity of the drought problem.

One group was identified as provinces who have problem with water for consumption. These include Surin, Chainat, Chon Buri, Khon Kaen, Saraburi, Phichit, Lamphun and Trang.

The second group was identified as provinces which do not have enough water for farming. These include Chiang Mai, Phayao, Sukhothai, Nakhon Phanom, Maha Sarakham, Buriram, Kanchanaburi, Sakaeo and Chanthaburi.

The third group includes Nakhon Sawan, Petchaburi, Uttradit, Satun, Nakhon Ratchasima, Trat and Krabi. They experience water shortage for consumption and farming.

Mr Chatchai is, however, confident that the water at the country’s four main dams namely Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwae Noi Bamrungdaen and Pasak Cholasit estimated at 2,328 million cubic metres will be enough for consumption until July.

But he said that authorities are watching out for high tide during April 11-14 during which time more water will be released downstream to push back sea water so it will not affect the source of raw water for tap water in Chachoengsao, Pathum Thani and Prachin Buri.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158170

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-05

I live in a small village in the north of Chiang Mai province, since I moved here 2 years ago I have been pumping my water from a well in my garden and filtering and treating it. my village is on a slight slope I am towards the bottom end of the village. A rice farmer at the very end of the village , has recently installed 2 *4 inch bore holes and is pumping 10s of thousands of gallons a day into his rice field , I now have little or no water in my well. Is there any thing I can do to stop him ? My Thai wife tells me he has the rite to do this as the boreholes are on his property.and we have no rite to stop him . Is there any department of government that I can ask to look into this matter. there are about 200 houses in my village and another village on the other side of the main road father up the slope and I suspect a great deal of these now have no water as I have seen a water truck delivering water in my village. Some houses have water from a main pipe that runs along the main road but the local water company want more than 10,000B to run 50 mt to my house to a supply pipe that runs down one side of my village.would the the Department of Prevention and Mitigation of Public Disasters, be interested in my small problem or is there a department in Chiang Mai or my sub district of Mae Ai where I live.have any one who can adjudicate on this matter

I live in a small village in the north of Chiang Mai province, since I moved here 2 years ago I have been pumping my water from a well in my garden and filtering and treating it. my village is on a slight slope I am towards the bottom end of the village. A rice farmer at the very end of the village , has recently installed 2 *4 inch bore holes and is pumping 10s of thousands of gallons a day into his rice field , I now have little or no water in my well. Is there any thing I can do to stop him ? My Thai wife tells me he has the rite to do this as the boreholes are on his property.and we have no rite to stop him . Is there any department of government that I can ask to look into this matter. there are about 200 houses in my village and another village on the other side of the main road father up the slope and I suspect a great deal of these now have no water as I have seen a water truck delivering water in my village. Some houses have water from a main pipe that runs along the main road but the local water company want more than 10,000B to run 50 mt to my house to a supply pipe that runs down one side of my village.would the the Department of Prevention and Mitigation of Public Disasters, be interested in my small problem or is there a department in Chiang Mai or my sub district of Mae Ai where I live.have any one who can adjudicate on this matter

Better to spend 10'000 Baht for a supply pipe then running dry. Nothing you can do about the rice farmer.

People seem to be doing nothing to try to conserve the water..

In my area people are washing down the roads with water trucks, farmers are pumping out the temple lake to get water to the rice fields. Big houses have there sprinklers on every day for their lawns, people washing the house roof with water to cool down the house, and now they will start the Songkrhan water festival....

Thailand has had for decades warnings, and now the chickens have come home to roost , is it the incompetence of the water department or successive administrations with other cuckoo projects , that need an attitude adjustment , whatever the reason, if Thailand doesn't rectify this problem it will slowly go down the proverbial drain......................................................coffee1.gif .

Sorry,have to disagree.We are 30klms from Khon kean and its business as usual here. No water shortage,tap water freely available,no warnings or limitations.No panic buying of bottled water.In fact the local Lotus is up to its ass in the stuff,piled high outside.Farmers still sprinkling,and life in general is normal.I would like to know,who is telling bullshit to whom?

Gotta go,I've got to wash the car.thumbsup.gif

Archived