BANGKOK 16 June 2019 15:31

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Swede, 39, dead killed riding Ducati on road trip South

As Glalactus observes there are only about 11,000+ deaths each year associated with bike riding in Thailand !

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/02/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

and how many of them are big bikes? maybe 2 or 3 percent? maybe less?

and what is the relation of this data with this thread?

this thread is about a fellow rider lost his life unfortunately and what we hear is posters disrespecting the deceased and hating bikes at every possible occasion bc they ride cars and they dont have balls to ride a sport bike or maybe not enough finds to get one and that is what they blame and attack riders.

some posters cannot even respect a fellow foreigner died after an unfortunate accident and speak about respecting others on the roads. i smell hypocrisy!

39.......uggggg......really young. tens of thousands of good times missed......very sad

i have gone 50 mph plus on a pedal bike, and unfortunately i'm not sure EXACTLY what age is too old to be doing that

i'm guessing 55. i hope i'm not wrong. everyone is different

39 is a good age to try everything.....sorry it ended this way

Managed 55kph on my e-bike at the age of 61 had the wind behind me though,one little mistake and you are gonna be hurt but on a motorbike

it's often fatal or as they say life changing injuries.RIP the Swedish

fella,

Renting a Ducati, the first thing to do is check is what tyres is fitted. I bet my 2 cents that there was fitted some cheap thaibrand tyres that makes my pcx slipery, What wouldnt it do to a heavy ducati in high speed

heart attack is a bigger cause of death than motorbike accidents so please stop drinking beer, eating red meat and go for a diet that you can eat only two tomatoes and an apple a day. and run for two hours every morning and afternoon on top.

overall, there is better chance of survival if you dont leave home then! people slide in their bathroom and die as well and that number is possibly more than deaths caused by motorbike accidents.

after years of riding, i am aware of the fact that where i can speed up and down. dont worry, sport riders are not maniacs. or sport riders in Thailand are not sado mazo guys want suffering! they respect others on the roads too and more than many cars and trucks.

Maybe, but some bloke swilling and gorging his way to a heart attack isn't going to 'take anyone with him' as it were.

Some tourist playing 'tough guys' on a bike he isn't experienced or strong enough to handle, could well take a few others out in the event of an accident , seems to be the point most are trying to make here.

As Glalactus observes there are only about 11,000+ deaths each year associated with bike riding in Thailand !

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/02/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

and how many of them are big bikes? maybe 2 or 3 percent? maybe less?

and what is the relation of this data with this thread?

this thread is about a fellow rider lost his life unfortunately and what we hear is posters disrespecting the deceased and hating bikes at every possible occasion bc they ride cars and they dont have balls to ride a sport bike or maybe not enough finds to get one and that is what they blame and attack riders.

some posters cannot even respect a fellow foreigner died after an unfortunate accident and speak about respecting others on the roads. i smell hypocrisy!

Why are you having a dig at me ?

11,000 + deaths/year associated with two wheeled motorised vehicles ? Is that of no concern to you ?

For your information I have ridden what you refer to as a "big bike" for many years and do so with a high degree of situational awareness and without trying to impress people by bragging about how fast the bike is.

If you can manage to pass the UK "bike safe" course ( run by real big bikers) I might be impressed by what you say.

Until then stum !

Big bikes are dangerous no matter who rides them.

No more dangerous than scooters, if you ask me. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride

Sorry, it seems to me that big bikes with so much horse power are more dangerous than the 125 scooters, and can reach speeds of over 200 km/hr.

On the contrary. The additional horsepower can be a lifesaver when you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

My Ninja has a rated top speed of 256 kph but that doesn't mean that I ride at that speed. I ride at what I deem is safe given the conditions (road, weather, traffic etc). There are in fact times when I feel that my PCX is more unsafe due to the relative lack of power

You see guys on fast bikes everyday in Pattaya, weaving at speed in and out of traffic, first away from the lights.bombing down 2nd and 3rd road

Its only a matter of time, will not even be your fault. but you will end up with your blurred body posted on Thavisa one day most probably

Guess you're not a fan of bikes?

I drive my common model 125 Yamaha nearly everyday, at the same speed as everyone else, i love bikes

Personally, I don't like to travel at the same speed as the cars because that puts you right in the danger zone. At the lights, I like to get away from the cars (easily done even on a scooter) after ensuring that the coast is clear (no red light runners).

What I don't do of course is weave at speed in and out of traffic nor do I bomb down 2nd and 3rd road as that's just being reckless.

Thai article says he went on a trip with 8 other bikes from Hua Hin to Koh Samui.

The Thai article has clearer pictures, from what I see, it looks like his head was chopped off. Helmet is nowhere to be found in the picture, although it looks like he's wearing those casual riding shoes (8,000-15,000 baht), so if he had spent that much on shoes, surely he has spent something on a helmet? But if those shoes are just casual shoes you buy for 200 baht at the local market, then I don't know at this point. Usually tourists who have no bike experience only rent a big bike to hop around town, maybe this guy is an exception? I don't know.

No more dangerous than scooters, if you ask me. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride

Sorry, it seems to me that big bikes with so much horse power are more dangerous than the 125 scooters, and can reach speeds of over 200 km/hr.

I have ridden a big bike for many years but never at 200kph on a public road.

Were you aware that 125 scooters can be ridden at speeds in excess of public road speed limits ?

yes, johny boy I have been around a little.

Live fast, die young it's an old story back to James Dean.

Here in Phuket a couple weeks ago we lost an international DJ, accounts said he was going at a high rate of speed, ran into somebody (probably what we refer to as a "drifter", slowly drifting out from slow lane into fast) got launched into oncoming traffic.

I've been riding a bike here more than ten years, it's my opinion that bad things happen faster, when going at a very high rate of speed. I think that's basic physics, motion and forces. Shortened reaction time as well.

RIP to this fellow, lost his life in a bad accident, definitely sad.

If you ask me it's not how you ride, it's how those other 60 million idiots ride.

I rode big bikes all my life, but recently sold my bike here, because i was death scared most of the time I entered the roads here.

Full of lunatics, and add to that the potholes of a size where a toddler could get lost, that are everywhere on the roads.

On the contrary. The additional horsepower can be a lifesaver when you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

My Ninja has a rated top speed of 256 kph but that doesn't mean that I ride at that speed. I ride at what I deem is safe given the conditions (road, weather, traffic etc). There are in fact times when I feel that my PCX is more unsafe due to the relative lack of power

Totally agree here my ninja also goes quite fast (probably not 256 kph and I have never reached its top speed) but I feel my ninja is a lot safer than my scooter because you got the extra power to get out of the way and better brakes too. Quite often on the bigger roads you need the extra power.

You see guys on fast bikes everyday in Pattaya, weaving at speed in and out of traffic, first away from the lights.bombing down 2nd and 3rd road

Its only a matter of time, will not even be your fault. but you will end up with your blurred body posted on Thavisa one day most probably

Guess you're not a fan of bikes?

I drive my common model 125 Yamaha nearly everyday, at the same speed as everyone else, i love bikes

Personally, I don't like to travel at the same speed as the cars because that puts you right in the danger zone. At the lights, I like to get away from the cars (easily done even on a scooter) after ensuring that the coast is clear (no red light runners).

What I don't do of course is weave at speed in and out of traffic nor do I bomb down 2nd and 3rd road as that's just being reckless.

I also prefer to be just a bit faster as the cars, that means you don't have them overtaking you in crazy ways. Just 5-10 kph faster as than the rest of the traffic will do. The zig zagging i see my scooters do is just crazy.. that is not riding that is reacting.. no planning nothing.

In general i prefer my big bike over my scooter (unless i go shopping) and if i shop a lot i take a car, in BKK it just is not smart to use a car when you can use a bike.

You boys have dug up an oldie, and please be clear, this rider was not on a Ninja in BKK, right...............

He was on an open road and lost control of the bike, at a high speed. A bit different than gassing from Suk 23 to 27....