Swede, 39, dead killed riding Ducati on road trip South

webfact

i love my big bikes, had them all, but living here now, i still look at bikes for sale, then reality kicks in.seen to many idiot car drivers, someone is going to kill me, so no motorbike for me here.

Totally agree....

I love flash Sports Cars but no way would I buy one in Thailand, I keep driving to a minimum and drive the crappiest car out...., but have fond memories of my past.....

You see guys on fast bikes everyday in Pattaya, weaving at speed in and out of traffic, first away from the lights.bombing down 2nd and 3rd road

Its only a matter of time, will not even be your fault. but you will end up with your blurred body posted on Thavisa one day most probably

You see guys on fast bikes everyday in Pattaya, weaving at speed in and out of traffic, first away from the lights.bombing down 2nd and 3rd road

Its only a matter of time, will not even be your fault. but you will end up with your blurred body posted on Thavisa one day most probably

Guess you're not a fan of bikes?

Big bikes are dangerous no matter who rides them.

No more dangerous than scooters, if you ask me. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride

Okay, may I say something?

I had a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R, a very fast bike here in Pattaya for a few years, now sold.

The problems over here are; Idiots who pull out in front of me, cut me off on corners, other vehicles who have no respect for me, sand wash off on corners after rain, potholes on high speed roads, stupid drivers with no licences or driving skills and of course drunks.

Every skilled driver knows that before starting a big bike, you put your mind ihn gear etc for great safe driving.

So to finsh, after several years of chaos driving a big bike I decided enoughs enough and now have a no gears putter along PCX.

Enjoy riding but stay alive!

I have a Ninja 1000 but do not ride it much in Bkk. I keep it mostly for longer rides, touring rides etc. For around Bkk, I mostly ride my PCX too.

Regardless of which bike I ride, the idiots are still out on the streets so my motto is always to ride defensively and get away from "danger" as quickly as possible

Firstly I am not anti bike I have had big bikes in the UK and off road bikes here,I chose not to ride sport bikes here for obvious reasons.

Secondly I wish death upon no motorcyclists including people on this forum,but I do take offence at personal attacks from individuals of whom I haven't told what to do or have any say what they do,so expect the same vitriol back.

In the UK we are accustomed to taking our super bikes to the track for a track day,a very much safer environment to ride at high speeds usually without endangering innocent members of the public.

That said of course I have and do break the speed limit on motorbikes and in cars as well,but rest assured I do not feel I have the God given right to do so nor do I pride myself in doing it unlike some people.

Also my marital status has absolutely no impact on what I write on the do's and do not's of motorbike riding here or anywhere.

Lastly for the I came here to escape the nanny state and please go home brigade,this just echoes my thoughts about some people who feel they have the right to live in Thailand and break the laws because that's the way it is here,you have less rights as an expat here and should focus on staying within the law it might just as is not the case here save your life or at least afford you an easy time/stay here.

Some of sentiments of certain forum members regarding doing as one pleases here goes to show the type of people this place attracts.

Do us all a favour respect the country you have chosen to live in,respect its laws and its people irrespective of their behaviour they may not have been educated or as fortunate as yourself,but most of all respect yourself and other road users.

BE SAFE.

Thailand is second in the world for road deaths most are attributed to motorcycle accidents involving scooters. Big bike or small bike it doesn't matter you are at great risk. It is terrible reading the BS being written here concerning the rider. Nobody has any facts he could have been an experienced rider who did nothing wrong and got run off the road. We all know that people in Thailand do not stop at accidents that is the norm.

Unless someone has information the rest of us don't please stop disrespecting the rider his family may someday read this forum post.

In bangkok, no red plates given to motorbikes.

what a sad incident this is, again patience for his family.

If you want to ride big bikes at high speeds go to the race track.

Sadly like most things here with the continued rise in the number of expat and local big bike riders and ever more powerful bikes becoming available this will continue.

Bad roads,a lack of riding skills and complete disdain for other road users often ends in the above.

Thailand has lots to offer motorbike riders,there are some stunning mountain roads and rural roads to be discovered but there are many hidden dangers involved getting to such locations and exploring them.

I'm all for big bikes but laws need to be implemented to aid expat and local riders alike to ensure they are capable of riding high powered machines.

A sad way to go.

if i want to ride my big bikes at any speed ill ride them where i like. we dont need pratronising idiots to tell us what to do.maybe we should come round to yours and tell you how to live your life. had many divorces? ever ridden a bike?
No you don't Tommy.......you can ride your big bikes at any speed you like but only on a race track.

It's not patronising....it's plain fact that you don't ride your big bikes at any fr**gin speed you like when there are other road users around you.

Speed god are we? What are your biking credentials Tommy?

I've ridden near to half a million kilometres....all of Europe(many countries multiple times), South Africe, India, all 49 US states (some 3-4 times)....all of Canada....nearly every track circuit in Europe. That's where I ride my fr**gin' big bikes at speeds to 300 kmh.

Try it Tommy....it may wake you up.

I've lost friends to bike accidents....I've seen my fair share of horrific and fatal accidents with bikes.

Guys like you with not a fr*g for anyone else get bikers, real bikers, a bad name.

My sincere condolences and sympathies to this guys family.

so if we ride what?

you will come and fine us or beat us with a stick or let us sit on the naughty stool?

i also lost many friends and maybe did a million kms too. but most friends that i lost due to some idiots cutting the roads or doing an illegal u turn.

please try to reflect your feelings towards stupid car, truck drivers not riders.

Yes ....many, not the majority, of motorbike accidnets are caused by driver error. Mostly turning across a biker or else cutting out from a stationay lane.

Tell us Galactus....you reckon you have a better chance of survival at, say, 160 clicks instead of, say 80 clicks? So whack open the trottle and do as you fr**gin like down a public road? Daft man ....just plain daft and stupid.

But....read my post Galactus. Read my post. You cannot ride as you like at whatever speed you like when there are others on the road.

No more dangerous than scooters, if you ask me. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride

Sorry, it seems to me that big bikes with so much horse power are more dangerous than the 125 scooters, and can reach speeds of over 200 km/hr.

Sorry, it seems to me that big bikes with so much horse power are more dangerous than the 125 scooters, and can reach speeds of over 200 km/hr.

I have ridden a big bike for many years but never at 200kph on a public road.

Were you aware that 125 scooters can be ridden at speeds in excess of public road speed limits ?

In bangkok, no red plates given to motorbikes.

what a sad incident this is, again patience for his family.

if i want to ride my big bikes at any speed ill ride them where i like. we dont need pratronising idiots to tell us what to do.maybe we should come round to yours and tell you how to live your life. had many divorces? ever ridden a bike?

No you don't Tommy.......you can ride your big bikes at any speed you like but only on a race track.

It's not patronising....it's plain fact that you don't ride your big bikes at any fr**gin speed you like when there are other road users around you.

Speed god are we? What are your biking credentials Tommy?

I've ridden near to half a million kilometres....all of Europe(many countries multiple times), South Africe, India, all 49 US states (some 3-4 times)....all of Canada....nearly every track circuit in Europe. That's where I ride my fr**gin' big bikes at speeds to 300 kmh.

Try it Tommy....it may wake you up.

I've lost friends to bike accidents....I've seen my fair share of horrific and fatal accidents with bikes.

Guys like you with not a fr*g for anyone else get bikers, real bikers, a bad name.

My sincere condolences and sympathies to this guys family.

so if we ride what?

you will come and fine us or beat us with a stick or let us sit on the naughty stool?

i also lost many friends and maybe did a million kms too. but most friends that i lost due to some idiots cutting the roads or doing an illegal u turn.

please try to reflect your feelings towards stupid car, truck drivers not riders.

Yes ....many, not the majority, of motorbike accidnets are caused by driver error. Mostly turning across a biker or else cutting out from a stationay lane.

Tell us Galactus....you reckon you have a better chance of survival at, say, 160 clicks instead of, say 80 clicks? So whack open the trottle and do as you fr**gin like down a public road? Daft man ....just plain daft and stupid.

But....read my post Galactus. Read my post. You cannot ride as you like at whatever speed you like when there are others on the road.

heart attack is a bigger cause of death than motorbike accidents so please stop drinking beer, eating red meat and go for a diet that you can eat only two tomatoes and an apple a day. and run for two hours every morning and afternoon on top.

overall, there is better chance of survival if you dont leave home then! people slide in their bathroom and die as well and that number is possibly more than deaths caused by motorbike accidents.

after years of riding, i am aware of the fact that where i can speed up and down. dont worry, sport riders are not maniacs. or sport riders in Thailand are not sado mazo guys want suffering! they respect others on the roads too and more than many cars and trucks.

I drive my common model 125 Yamaha nearly everyday, at the same speed as everyone else, i love bikes

As Glalactus observes there are only about 11,000+ deaths each year associated with bike riding in Thailand !

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/02/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

and how many of them are big bikes? maybe 2 or 3 percent? maybe less?

and what is the relation of this data with this thread?

this thread is about a fellow rider lost his life unfortunately and what we hear is posters disrespecting the deceased and hating bikes at every possible occasion bc they ride cars and they dont have balls to ride a sport bike or maybe not enough finds to get one and that is what they blame and attack riders.

some posters cannot even respect a fellow foreigner died after an unfortunate accident and speak about respecting others on the roads. i smell hypocrisy!

39.......uggggg......really young. tens of thousands of good times missed......very sad

i have gone 50 mph plus on a pedal bike, and unfortunately i'm not sure EXACTLY what age is too old to be doing that

i'm guessing 55. i hope i'm not wrong. everyone is different

39 is a good age to try everything.....sorry it ended this way

Managed 55kph on my e-bike at the age of 61 had the wind behind me though,one little mistake and you are gonna be hurt but on a motorbike

it's often fatal or as they say life changing injuries.RIP the Swedish

fella,

Renting a Ducati, the first thing to do is check is what tyres is fitted. I bet my 2 cents that there was fitted some cheap thaibrand tyres that makes my pcx slipery, What wouldnt it do to a heavy ducati in high speed

heart attack is a bigger cause of death than motorbike accidents so please stop drinking beer, eating red meat and go for a diet that you can eat only two tomatoes and an apple a day. and run for two hours every morning and afternoon on top.

overall, there is better chance of survival if you dont leave home then! people slide in their bathroom and die as well and that number is possibly more than deaths caused by motorbike accidents.

after years of riding, i am aware of the fact that where i can speed up and down. dont worry, sport riders are not maniacs. or sport riders in Thailand are not sado mazo guys want suffering! they respect others on the roads too and more than many cars and trucks.

Maybe, but some bloke swilling and gorging his way to a heart attack isn't going to 'take anyone with him' as it were.

Some tourist playing 'tough guys' on a bike he isn't experienced or strong enough to handle, could well take a few others out in the event of an accident , seems to be the point most are trying to make here.

As Glalactus observes there are only about 11,000+ deaths each year associated with bike riding in Thailand !

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/02/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

and how many of them are big bikes? maybe 2 or 3 percent? maybe less?

and what is the relation of this data with this thread?

this thread is about a fellow rider lost his life unfortunately and what we hear is posters disrespecting the deceased and hating bikes at every possible occasion bc they ride cars and they dont have balls to ride a sport bike or maybe not enough finds to get one and that is what they blame and attack riders.

some posters cannot even respect a fellow foreigner died after an unfortunate accident and speak about respecting others on the roads. i smell hypocrisy!

Why are you having a dig at me ?

11,000 + deaths/year associated with two wheeled motorised vehicles ? Is that of no concern to you ?

For your information I have ridden what you refer to as a "big bike" for many years and do so with a high degree of situational awareness and without trying to impress people by bragging about how fast the bike is.

If you can manage to pass the UK "bike safe" course ( run by real big bikers) I might be impressed by what you say.

Until then stum !

On the contrary. The additional horsepower can be a lifesaver when you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

My Ninja has a rated top speed of 256 kph but that doesn't mean that I ride at that speed. I ride at what I deem is safe given the conditions (road, weather, traffic etc). There are in fact times when I feel that my PCX is more unsafe due to the relative lack of power

I drive my common model 125 Yamaha nearly everyday, at the same speed as everyone else, i love bikes

Personally, I don't like to travel at the same speed as the cars because that puts you right in the danger zone. At the lights, I like to get away from the cars (easily done even on a scooter) after ensuring that the coast is clear (no red light runners).

What I don't do of course is weave at speed in and out of traffic nor do I bomb down 2nd and 3rd road as that's just being reckless.

Thai article says he went on a trip with 8 other bikes from Hua Hin to Koh Samui.

The Thai article has clearer pictures, from what I see, it looks like his head was chopped off. Helmet is nowhere to be found in the picture, although it looks like he's wearing those casual riding shoes (8,000-15,000 baht), so if he had spent that much on shoes, surely he has spent something on a helmet? But if those shoes are just casual shoes you buy for 200 baht at the local market, then I don't know at this point. Usually tourists who have no bike experience only rent a big bike to hop around town, maybe this guy is an exception? I don't know.

I have ridden a big bike for many years but never at 200kph on a public road.

Were you aware that 125 scooters can be ridden at speeds in excess of public road speed limits ?

yes, johny boy I have been around a little.

Live fast, die young it's an old story back to James Dean.

Here in Phuket a couple weeks ago we lost an international DJ, accounts said he was going at a high rate of speed, ran into somebody (probably what we refer to as a "drifter", slowly drifting out from slow lane into fast) got launched into oncoming traffic.

I've been riding a bike here more than ten years, it's my opinion that bad things happen faster, when going at a very high rate of speed. I think that's basic physics, motion and forces. Shortened reaction time as well.

RIP to this fellow, lost his life in a bad accident, definitely sad.

• 2 months later...

If you ask me it's not how you ride, it's how those other 60 million idiots ride.

I rode big bikes all my life, but recently sold my bike here, because i was death scared most of the time I entered the roads here.

Full of lunatics, and add to that the potholes of a size where a toddler could get lost, that are everywhere on the roads.

On the contrary. The additional horsepower can be a lifesaver when you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

My Ninja has a rated top speed of 256 kph but that doesn't mean that I ride at that speed. I ride at what I deem is safe given the conditions (road, weather, traffic etc). There are in fact times when I feel that my PCX is more unsafe due to the relative lack of power

Totally agree here my ninja also goes quite fast (probably not 256 kph and I have never reached its top speed) but I feel my ninja is a lot safer than my scooter because you got the extra power to get out of the way and better brakes too. Quite often on the bigger roads you need the extra power.

Personally, I don't like to travel at the same speed as the cars because that puts you right in the danger zone. At the lights, I like to get away from the cars (easily done even on a scooter) after ensuring that the coast is clear (no red light runners).

What I don't do of course is weave at speed in and out of traffic nor do I bomb down 2nd and 3rd road as that's just being reckless.

I also prefer to be just a bit faster as the cars, that means you don't have them overtaking you in crazy ways. Just 5-10 kph faster as than the rest of the traffic will do. The zig zagging i see my scooters do is just crazy.. that is not riding that is reacting.. no planning nothing.

In general i prefer my big bike over my scooter (unless i go shopping) and if i shop a lot i take a car, in BKK it just is not smart to use a car when you can use a bike.

You boys have dug up an oldie, and please be clear, this rider was not on a Ninja in BKK, right...............

He was on an open road and lost control of the bike, at a high speed. A bit different than gassing from Suk 23 to 27....

There are roads in and around BKK you can go high speed too. I won't because I am just not a speed demon. But you can speed up almost everywhere. This guy killed himself and did not do any harm to others. It just does not deserve the call to limit big bike riders with special licenses.

We all know how many times a license get checked. (not often) and the fine if you have none (not high).. so such rules would not even help.

Archived