Wine Vinyards

ray23

What area are they in and how do you locate them?

Chateau Loei is around 20KMs out of Dan Sai on the road between Dan Sai and Loei. You can arrange a visit from the Phu Pa Nam Resort, which is about 5 KMs away - heading towards Dan Sai.

There is cheaper accomodation available near Phu Rua.

What area are they in and how do you locate them?

There are vineyards scattered all over this area but the main concentration seems to be on highway 203 west out of Loei. You will see signs for different vineyards along the highway.

Actually Gary what I'm really looking for is a place to buy some vines for personal use here in Udon. Do you have any ideas?

There's a small vineyard not far from where Boonmee lives. I'll ask Boonmee to check for you. Somewhere around here they grow thos big red seedless grapes. They are delicious. I'd love to see if I can get some of those to grow.

Actually Gary what I'm really looking for is a place to buy some vines for personal use here in Udon. Do you have any ideas?

There's a small vineyard not far from where Boonmee lives. I'll ask Boonmee to check for you. Somewhere around here they grow thos big red seedless grapes. They are delicious. I'd love to see if I can get some of those to grow.

That would be great pushed for room so I might be able to get in three vines, it would be nice to have whites and reds. I think they would do well here the weather is very similiar to the Central Valley of California. Might have to do a bit with the soil. Vine rippened fruit is just better tasting. Say hello to Boonmee for me.

I'll tell him you said hello. :o They use the trellis system for the grapes and they plant them in ridges with shallow ditches along side each row.

That would be great pushed for room so I might be able to get in three vines, it would be nice to have whites and reds. I think they would do well here the weather is very similiar to the Central Valley of California. Might have to do a bit with the soil. Vine rippened fruit is just better tasting. Say hello to Boonmee for me.

I had them in the desert in Califonia before just put up some posts and wired in between fro the vines to climb on and they were happy. Width wise they don't take a lot of room but length wise they can. I work on this thoery if I have to put water on the ground I should good something good to eat from it. We have large bannanas, mangoes and real lemon trees, two in the ground and four extra if anyone wants one. I plna going to Korat sometime in the next fwe months and buy some alvocados trees. Jalapino peppers growing I think I might just have some real good cuacamole some day :o

I had them in the desert in Califonia before just put up some posts and wired in between fro the vines to climb on and they were happy. Width wise they don't take a lot of room but length wise they can. I work on this thoery if I have to put water on the ground I should good something good to eat from it. We have large bannanas, mangoes and real lemon trees, two in the ground and four extra if anyone wants one. I plna going to Korat sometime in the next fwe months and buy some alvocados trees. Jalapino peppers growing I think I might just have some real good cuacamole some day :o

I went up to Boonmee's place this afternoon. He told me the guy raises both the seedless table grapes and wine grapes. Boonmee said the the guy would sell his mother is he could make a few baht. That's a little harsh but apparently the guy is not making any money and is changing over to rubbers trees. One of these first days I'll pick up Boonmee and go see what the guy has. I'll try to get a dozen or so vines both the seedless and the wine type. If I'm able to to get them we could work a swap for whatever you have. It's entirely possible that we could even have a few beers.

I had them in the desert in Califonia before just put up some posts and wired in between fro the vines to climb on and they were happy. Width wise they don't take a lot of room but length wise they can. I work on this thoery if I have to put water on the ground I should good something good to eat from it. We have large bannanas, mangoes and real lemon trees, two in the ground and four extra if anyone wants one. I plna going to Korat sometime in the next fwe months and buy some alvocados trees. Jalapino peppers growing I think I might just have some real good cuacamole some day :D

Off topic, but where do you buy the avocado trees ? I would be happy to drive down to Khorat to buy some (and mango) for my garden. I want to plant a row of mixed fruit trees for shade and... what was it ... oh yeah, fruit :o

I had them in the desert in Califonia before just put up some posts and wired in between fro the vines to climb on and they were happy. Width wise they don't take a lot of room but length wise they can. I work on this thoery if I have to put water on the ground I should good something good to eat from it. We have large bannanas, mangoes and real lemon trees, two in the ground and four extra if anyone wants one. I plna going to Korat sometime in the next fwe months and buy some alvocados trees. Jalapino peppers growing I think I might just have some real good cuacamole some day :D

Off topic, but where do you buy the avocado trees ? I would be happy to drive down to Khorat to buy some (and mango) for my garden. I want to plant a row of mixed fruit trees for shade and... what was it ... oh yeah, fruit :o

The Pak Chong Research Station and the Royal Project Foundation are the two main production sources of grafted and budded avocado plants. These two institutions produce more than 4,000 plants per year for the growers.

I haven't tried it yet but HERE is an interesting link on growing avocado's plants/trees from the seed. :D I love making and eating quacamole! :D

And several months ago I stopped at one of those "wineries" on 203 west out of Loei. It was "interesting". :D

post-171-1163120829_thumb.jpg

post-171-1163120980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ken

Well Ray, as you know things around these parts move a little slowly. I finally got around to planning a day to go check on grape vines. The day Boonmee and I were going to go, Boonmee's old dog Betsy died. Since he had her for 13 years he was feeling pretty down in the dumps. I will miss the friendly greetings from the old girl too.