Dress inappropriately or dance provocatively and face Songkran arrest, warns PM

webfact

Dress inappropriately or dance provocatively and face Songkran arrest, warns PM
Thaivisa Reporters

skr.jpg
Image: Khaosod

BANGKOK:-- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has warned Thai women and ladyboys about provocative behaviour at the upcoming Songkran festival cautioning about allowing too many "Western cultural values" to become part of the traditional celebration.

PM Prayut was giving an address Tuesday after a meeting of high ranking government officials. He reiterated about action to combat the death toll on the roads calling for people to not drink and drive and asking for the support of the public and officials in ensuring a safe and happy festival.

He warned that like at New Year drunks would have their vehicles confiscated. But it was his comments about some of the antics of his countrymen and women that drew a stern warning from Prayut:

Possibly referring to the new bonds with neighbouring countries in the NEC he said: "I want this to be a fun and historical moment for this is an international Songkran that we can celebrate with our neighbours like Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia. We can share our various cultures. But don't let the Western culture come in too much. First and foremost women and "type two women" (ladyboys) who dress inappropriately or dance provocatively on the back of trucks will be arrested immediately.

"And so will the drivers," added the PM.

The Songkran festival or traditional Thai New Year features much revelry with traditional niceties like the bathing of Buddhist images with scented water and the giving of blessings often giving way to aggressive water fights and drunken debauchery.

The festival kicks off in earnest in the middle of next week.

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-06

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy really has a dislike of the west and everything western apart from western currency. So anyone in dresses in western clothing and dances to western music like the girls in the photo will be arrested. Has he gone completely mad? What next, is he going to send his goons out to arrest all farangs for harbouring ghosts in thier homes.

He's certainly enjoying himself these days,

Returning Happiness to the People Junta Style and taking every chance to put the boot into foreigners.

where are all his farang worshippers who hailed him as the Messiah and preached how much he would do for them? The guy is loopy and dangerous.

..........note to self: Put my orange mankini back in storage......sad.png

You should be OK as it is just women & "type two women" (?) that are being targeted according to him.

Unless of course you are driving the pickup in your mankini with a horde of tarts in the back and even then it likely won't matter what you're wearing............................tongue.png

Such wonderful news,stories such as this and the thousands I continue to read most days only add to my excitement of departing Thailand for a better life elsewhere.

Six years here,definitely time for a change,I like many probably missed the best years anyway,now it really is bottom of the barrel by the looks of things.

Funny that. Not even less than 100 years ago you'd find Thai women walking around top less. It was then "western" influence that brought in such conservatism around in the 50s. Now sexy dancing and being scantily clad is some sort of evil western import again?

This man is an absolute farce from small issues to glaring huge ones.

"about allowing too many "Western cultural values" to become part of the traditional celebration."

Nobody in the west runs around in the streets dancing provocatively, smearing gooey white powder in the face of strangers and throwing ice water at passers by.......

Killjoy

Power has gone to his head. I just do not see this guy relinquishing control, at least voluntarily, any time soon.

Has he forgotten that April is the hottest month in Thailand? Has he forgotten that Thailand parties during Songkran. Has he forgotten that TAT promotes the Songkran experience to attract tourists? Has he just forgotten what it is like to be young and foolish?

I may be getting on in years, but I hope I never lose the joy of living like he appears to have done.

All this fool seems to know is the big stick. That is his approach to everything.

Western culture like half-naked lady boys, Walking Street, Pattaya...

... or the karaoke singers and dancers at Thai weddings.

I think I've seen more "provocative" clothing and dancers at upcountry Thai weddings and festivals, and not a single farang for miles.

Such wonderful news,stories such as this and the thousands I continue to read most days only add to my excitement of departing Thailand for a better life elsewhere.

Six years here,definitely time for a change,I like many probably missed the best years anyway,now it really is bottom of the barrel by the looks of things.

Not quite the bottom yet........

This says a lot more about the sexual hang-ups of those trying to restrict these activities than those who are simply out to have fun.

How many of these up right moralists, members of the NCPO, NLA etc etc, have a mia noi ?

Oh sorry I forgot it's always been like that in Thai ' culture '.

"allowing too many "Western cultural values" to become part of the traditional celebration"

Is he actually talking about westerners or the Thai bourgeoisie who cheered him when he usurped power from an elected government ? Can one of the junta loving farangs help us out here with a translation ? The logic is mystifying.

In reality he actally has a point, Songkran has been hijacked by the western white devils the faflang,,,

Songkran is celebrated differently in different cities, and differently by different people, eg, Pattaya v Chiang Mai, children in a small village v lady boy's and hookers on pick up's, which by the way is illegal as of last year by order of the PM.

Now if you prefer to celebrate Songkran in a more traditional way then maybe give Pattaya etc a miss. live and let live.

Unfortunately this (_____) thinks he has the wright to dictate to the rest of the country how to celebrate under threat of gaol.

Yes, but in a country where holding hands or kissing in public is not de-riguer, "twerking" or provocative dancing isn't likely to go down well.

Also, many people believe that Songkhran became the madness that it is today after farangs started to get involved. I know a Thai guy in his mid-70's who says that way back when he was a kid, Songkhran lasted one day, and only involved sprinkling water (rather than a bucket of ice-cold water, as it is today, whether you like it or not).

So is this the reality of Thailand:

- Arrest women for dancing in what some might think provocatively.

- Don't get arrested for selling your body for sex to any passerby?

I read this as "keep it out of the streets and in the bars where it belongs"

Keep it relatively discreet and no problem

keep it in my face and risk jail and confiscation.

No complaints from me biggrin.png

Archived