Dress inappropriately or dance provocatively and face Songkran arrest, warns PM

webfact

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha the two girls in the photo with this headline,, pretty tame really..

And you can see hundreds of them dressed in less, pole dancing on bar tops every night in Bungla road. Will he want to stop that next too ??

Oh dear, I just may have to go back to live in boring NZ....... not !!

I'd much rather the PM devote all his efforts to the really important problems besetting Thailand:

• Unacceptably high death toll and injuries on the roads (and vehicle maintenance in general)
  • Slavery and people trafficking
  • Police incompetence and corruption wherever it exists, underfunding and undertraining, and corruption and organized crime in general
  • Wealthy people getting away with murder or manslaughter caused by gross negligence
  • The economy, inward investment, encouraging foreign know-how and development
  • Education
  • The environment
  • Democracy and good governance
Worrying about a bit of sexy skin here and there or people behaving outrageously or obscenely (but harmlessly) is a huge distraction and a waste of mental energy.

This post is worth repeating, and should be published in the media, as to what the PM should be addressing.

"allowing too many "Western cultural values" to become part of the traditional celebration"

Is he actually talking about westerners or the Thai bourgeoisie who cheered him when he usurped power from an elected government ? Can one of the junta loving farangs help us out here with a translation ? The logic is mystifying.

hey DJ Jamie or Smedley or one of you guys, could you perhaps fill in the dots for me?

I'd much rather the PM devote all his efforts to the really important problems besetting Thailand:

• Unacceptably high death toll and injuries on the roads (and vehicle maintenance in general)
  • Slavery and people trafficking
  • Police incompetence and corruption wherever it exists, underfunding and undertraining, and corruption and organized crime in general
  • Wealthy people getting away with murder or manslaughter caused by gross negligence
  • The economy, inward investment, encouraging foreign know-how and development
  • Education
  • The environment
  • Democracy and good governance
Worrying about a bit of sexy skin here and there or people behaving outrageously or obscenely (but harmlessly) is a huge distraction and a waste of mental energy.

Yes he should devote his efforts to the really important matters that you stated but he knows he has and will continue to fail miserably at trying to correct the really important issues so he prefers to concentrate on the trivial. It makes him feel like he is a the very least accomplishing something.

Why would we accept an religious festival to be a decadent bachelor party with drunks and unappropriated behavior

and why hate it if someone wants to restore its value's to the original...

The majority of the Thai people i know, want it as a calm religious event...

I think most of the posters here have never experienced a real songkran...

Is it a religious festival? Is Buddhism a religion?

Who are the majority of people you talk to who want it calm? Where in Thailand are they?

A bachelor party and inappropriate behavior according to whom?

I have been in areas where there were NO tourists, or very few and the Thai people were having just as much fun as you would see here in Pattaya with a mix of locals and Thai people.

My point indeed, you made it... no respect what so ever... why do you come to Thailand in the first place ? To turn it into a huge fun park ?

So you really have no idea what Thailand is about ???

Why would we accept an religious festival to be a decadent bachelor party with drunks and unappropriated behavior

Every Songkran I've enjoyed here has been real, because each one really happened thumbsup.gif Some days I spent with the grandparents, some days I spent drunk at the beach, some days I went to a water party in Bangkok. All different, all very real, all attended by Thais. Or are you more Thai than Thai? coffee1.gif

So, ever seen the real ceremonie's where as the Religious statute's getting sprinkled and the youngsters wash the feed from the elderly and the elderly sprinkles some drops of water on the heads of those youngsters to bless them ? same as for the powder on the faces ...

Now, a religious ceremonie turned into a huge drunk brawl. where as a lot of people don't dare to travel any more... oh yeah, a lot of them still do... those who like to be drunk at the first place...

Lost value's...

Lest we forget this is the same dolt that blamed Western women in bikinis for anything that might happen to them

Great! Another ethnocentric clueless comment

It's about cognitive paradigms and cause and effect. But fear not- you can begin right this minute by simply giving millions of people in Thailand the education and experience found after living in the west for a number of years so they can change their paradigm. That's a lot of airplane tickets! Are you sure you can afford it?

b

Give up on the half baked anthropology will you, although the long words are very impressive.

This is about an unhappy control obsessed man attempting to impose his Cromwellian moral code on the nation of 70 odd million which he has appointed himself leader of.

Calvin reborn.

OK, throw rocks in a minute. Being selfish, I have noticed a lot of improvements for me. The roads that I use in Thailand are wider and better surfaced. The police are not hassling me for payment. The sidewalks, mostly, around Bangkok are clearer and cleaner. Tax hasn't changed, work permits and visas seem more straightforward and quicker on the service. Nothing to do with all of this 3 day madness called Songkran.

Ok, incoming.....

Western culture like half-naked lady boys, Walking Street, Pattaya...

... or the karaoke singers and dancers at Thai weddings.

I think I've seen more "provocative" clothing and dancers at upcountry Thai weddings and festivals, and not a single farang for miles.

I agree...... I was in Pitchit when a travelling troubadour style group went through,they had young girls gyrating against stage polls that Walking Street Honeys would be put to shame trying to mimic. These Girls were maybe 12 years old Max

Lost the plot. Time to move over for elections. Seriously. It was ok to stop the violence. Now just move over. Does he think ANYONE listens to his brainwashing daily speeches? All Thais I know findvit the perfect time to prepare dinner and wait for the next soap. Even the ones that were positive are fed up.

Funny that. Not even less than 100 years ago you'd find Thai women walking around top less. It was then "western" influence that brought in such conservatism around in the 50s. Now sexy dancing and being scantily clad is some sort of evil western import again?

This man is an absolute farce from small issues to glaring huge ones.

My mother-in law, an 87 year old Thai, has never worn a bra, and 90% of the time gets around topless. I would love to see the MP reaction if he came face to face with hercheesy.gif

Has she in her 87 years grind her bums and spread her legs for public display, while going about braless?

Don't show Prayut this:

https://www.facebook.com/WWW.YEG0B.C0M/videos/979856725378166/

Is it a religious festival? Is Buddhism a religion?

Who are the majority of people you talk to who want it calm? Where in Thailand are they?

A bachelor party and inappropriate behavior according to whom?

I have been in areas where there were NO tourists, or very few and the Thai people were having just as much fun as you would see here in Pattaya with a mix of locals and Thai people.

My point indeed, you made it... no respect what so ever... why do you come to Thailand in the first place ? To turn it into a huge fun park ?

So you really have no idea what Thailand is about ???

Please do explain what you mean?

I made what?

You have no idea what i do or do not respect and are making yourself a fool if you think that.

It is none of your business why i came to live here. Are you related to someone in power to be so presumptuous to think of asking, making a statement like that? Do you think you have more rights than others to be here? What an imbecile you are demonstrating yourself to be.

Who but you mentioned a fun park? I have just related what i saw Thai people doing away from the tourist areas. Do you think they should not be able to do as they please for their holiday or you should advise them on being Thai?

I have know idea what you think my knowledge of Thailand is or should be. To ask "so you really have no idea what Thailand is about???" Is a pretty stupid question, i can't lower myself to your level of stupidity to answer "what it's about". Anymore than i could my home country.

Funny that. Not even less than 100 years ago you'd find Thai women walking around top less. It was then "western" influence that brought in such conservatism around in the 50s. Now sexy dancing and being scantily clad is some sort of evil western import again?

This man is an absolute farce from small issues to glaring huge ones.

My mother-in law, an 87 year old Thai, has never worn a bra, and 90% of the time gets around topless. I would love to see the MP reaction if he came face to face with hercheesy.gif
Has she in her 87 years grind her bums and spread her legs for public display, while going about braless?

Don't show Prayut this:

Is this a bit sexist. Females and katoeys have to dance and dress suitably. What about guys and gays?

Yes it is sexist. You've just noticed that women are treated differently than men, all whom are treated differently than foreigners in this very country who's values tend to border on the hypocritical most of the time.

Don't show Prayut this:

I bet she was just a firecracker when she was younger. And hasn't lost it. And would be arrested doing that in the back of a pickup in a 2016 Songkran parade and promptly deported too, I'm sure.

Remember this?

Three teenage girls, who danced topless before a crowd of Songkran revellers on Silom Road last Friday, tipped off police about the pub.

The dancing incident was widely reported on television and the internet.

The girls, who surrendered to police on Monday night, said they joined a party at the pub, which offered a promotion of free meals and drinks for women who were prepared to dance topless there.

Pol Maj Gen Sangsoon said police had also received several complaints accusing the bar owners of serving alcohol to underage customers and violating opening hours. Officers also found documents containing a list of 20 police officers who appeared to have accepted daily payments of 500 baht from the bar owners.

songkran-ladies-2.jpg

And this?

Inappropriately would be nude in my opinion..

Dancing.. I guess if you're dry, humping or in this case, soaking wet short - shorts, then you can figure that might be inappropriate..

What is inappropriate? How it looks, or how people feel about looking at others having fun?

It wouldn't matter if they made everyone wear... For example what the women in the Big C in my area were wearing today...

Good God! Short skirts, sexy costumes to sell fast food, just some very hot looking women everywhere..

So, I'm sure Songkran this year won't be disappointing, even with the lack of water..

Never mind the thousands that die during Songkran, just hide those tits!

Have you thought that just maybe, girls dancing sexy wet and half naked on the back of pick trucks and people trowing a bucket of water in the face of a motor bike rider,,, may have something to do with the high number of road deaths at this time of year ? along with drink driving that the police say they will be hard on with confiscating cars , pick ups.. etc.. so the police do worry about the deaths at Songkran and are trying to do something about it, but at some point people have to take responsibility for themselves .. maybe then where would not be so many deaths,,, uh ?

Every Songkran I've enjoyed here has been real, because each one really happened thumbsup.gif Some days I spent with the grandparents, some days I spent drunk at the beach, some days I went to a water party in Bangkok. All different, all very real, all attended by Thais. Or are you more Thai than Thai? coffee1.gif

So, ever seen the real ceremonie's where as the Religious statute's getting sprinkled and the youngsters wash the feed from the elderly and the elderly sprinkles some drops of water on the heads of those youngsters to bless them ? same as for the powder on the faces ...

Now, a religious ceremonie turned into a huge drunk brawl. where as a lot of people don't dare to travel any more... oh yeah, a lot of them still do... those who like to be drunk at the first place...

Lost value's...

I have taken part in the real ceremony: ''Some days I spent with the grandparents...''

Although you are clearly more caring than I, washing the feed from your elders and all. I don't let mine out the barn :D

Yes, but in a country where holding hands or kissing in public is not de-riguer, "twerking" or provocative dancing isn't likely to go down well.

Also, many people believe that Songkhran became the madness that it is today after farangs started to get involved. I know a Thai guy in his mid-70's who says that way back when he was a kid, Songkhran lasted one day, and only involved sprinkling water (rather than a bucket of ice-cold water, as it is today, whether you like it or not).

So is this the reality of Thailand:

- Arrest women for dancing in what some might think provocatively.

- Don't get arrested for selling your body for sex to any passerby?

It's called consumerism!.......

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
Abraham Lincoln

The power is detested, and miserable the life, of him who wishes to be feared rather than to be loved.
Cornelius Nepos

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Proverbs 29:18

Wannabe leaders should invest the time to read books written by leaders who were loved and respected by their people.
Mockingjay

Archived