Songkran poll: Have over half female revellers really been groped?

webfact

Songkran poll: Have over half female revellers really been groped?
STAFF WRITER

songkran-sexual-harassment-thailand.jpg
Featured image is by LightOnDude and used under a Creative Commons licence

BANGKOK: -- Songkran celebrations, held every April to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year, are usually a time of festival and frolics as communities join in the “sprinkling of water” (read: huge water fights) to ring in the new year.

But according to a new poll, the festivities are not enjoyed by everyone. It found that a huge 51.9 percent of respondents reported they had been sexually harassed during past Songkran celebrations, often by drunk men taking advantage of the occasionally manic nature of the water fights and laissez faire attitude of the revellers.

Online commenters have derided the poll’s results and the survey, carried out by the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation, does admittedly have some limitations worth examining.

Millions of people celebrate Songkran every year in Thailand but the poll surveyed just 1,793 people aged between 10 and 40, according to the Bangkok Post, and in just a few provinces: Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Prakan, Chon Buri, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Chumpon, Amnat Charoen and Lampang.

Of course, regardless of whether the poll is representative enough of Thailand at large, it’s clear that there is a problem with predatory opportunists using Songkran as an excuse for sexual harassment.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/songkran-poll-have-over-half-female-revellers-really-been-groped/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-04-06

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I hate the whole charade and lock myself away. I do think that and have seen many male Thais take the opportunity to be malicious and do grope ladies. It is also one of the few times I see Thais acknowledge and speak to others, who are not fiends and family. All strange to me still. Yes I understand it, I just disagree with the over zealous celebrations it has turned into.

I remember walking through Khoa San years ago during Song Kran. As I was walking, someone got a hold of my meat and two veg. I had powder over my face and it was very crowded.I couldn't see well. At first I thought, "hello, cheeky!". Then I realised it was this little Thai dude.

Not only the women that get fondled.

you know, these kinds of stories are interesting and good to read because they are about life. entertaining. quite unlike the rest of the news such as when you read about the barrier reef of Australia, train projects in Thailand or Donald Trump talking about upgrading LaGuardia that are stupendously depressing. Songran? everybody can have fun and enjoy. to the max. you can even do that whether you do or do not know... as one example.... but I think rather apropro.... what the Cambrian Explosion was, or what it implies (today, not then). for instance, the barrier reef... CNN reporting here that in 50 or 100 years the reef may be gone... huh? what ???? why would methane eating bacteria care about some stupid reef off Australia?

Well I see no reason to doubt that statistic. After all 100% of all male tourists on vacation

in Thailand have been groped by a lady-boy, beer bar-girl or go-go girl while on vacation

in Thailand. whistling.gif

I have always used Songkran as an opportunity to grope and fondle a sexy lady wearing skimpy clothes. My wife loves it when I do that to her unbeknownst to others rights next to us.

Please give me your GPS coordinates when you and the wifey are playing Songkran and maybe I could make it just as interesting for her as it does for you...lol

I remember several years ago on the big day in Pattaya walking with 3 ladies and 2 males from Third road to Second road where we intended to start playing songkran.

Between our start and arrival point each of the ladies had their tits touched at least twice by Thai males

They didn't make anything of it.

Archived