Songkran poll: Have over half female revellers really been groped?

webfact

Ah, blaming the victim.

The "they asked for it" defence. Used by rapists and sexual predators for years over.

Pathetic.

No. but it is a jungle out there and one should avoid the lions, not invite them in.

It's not a jungle. It's supposed to be a civilised society.

And what has " what is is supposed to be" to do with this whole conversation?

Every biker is also supposed to wear a helmet.

Every rich dick is also supposed to be same for the law in Thailand.

There also is supposed to be not a coup every 2 years.

You're are in your trolling days again it seems.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many of the girls who were allegedly groped during a Sonkran were up for the celebrations the next year and the year after?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its right or it gives anyone the right for anyone to do it, but when people are out partying, dressed for fun, sometimes the wrong messages can be passed on.

Again, it is not a 'blame the victim' question.

So, because some men can't reign in their libido women have to lock themselves away!

Following that line of thinking it's your fault if you get shit or stabbed in the street, because you should have stayed at home to avoid provoking such an attack.

A girl wearing a wet tee shirt isn't provocation, but being an assailant is a lack of self control in a civilised society. What are these girls supposed to do, wear burkas!?

your reasoning leaves out reality

No, it shows how it should be.

Just because something happens, it does not follow that it is right or acceptable.

Nor should it be defended.

one generally gets what one asks for,when my two step daughters go out, 20 and 15, i make sure that they are appropriately dressed and that they are with a decent set of people,the 20 year old doesn't have to obey me at her age but thankfully she does, up to now i have had no disasters happen, i want to know where they are going,who they are with and a time is set for when they come back home, that works at my house anyway.

Ah, blaming the victim.

The "they asked for it" defence. Used by rapists and sexual predators for years over.

Pathetic.

No. but it is a jungle out there and one should avoid the lions, not invite them in.

So avoiding the celebrations altogether, or wearing body armour is your solution then!

How about perverts keeping their hands to themselves and allowing people to go about life unmolested!

Which part of not provoking is it that you don't understand?

I know that I enough self control to resist base urges!

your reasoning leaves out reality

No, it shows how it should be.

Just because something happens, it does not follow that it is right or acceptable.

Nor should it be defended.

one generally gets what one asks for,when my two step daughters go out, 20 and 15, i make sure that they are appropriately dressed and that they are with a decent set of people,the 20 year old doesn't have to obey me at her age but thankfully she does, up to now i have had no disasters happen, i want to know where they are going,who they are with and a time is set for when they come back home, that works at my house anyway.

Ah, blaming the victim.

Pathetic.

So avoiding the celebrations altogether, or wearing body armour is your solution then!

How about perverts keeping their hands to themselves and allowing people to go about life unmolested!

Which part of not provoking is it that you don't understand?

I know that I enough self control to resist base urges!

Yes you can, because you have been raised with moralities, but you are now in a country where the average IQ is about 50.

These things also happened in our own countries 100 years ago, and that is where you are again today.

Ah, blaming the victim.

Pathetic.

And what has " what is is supposed to be" to do with this whole conversation?

Every biker is also supposed to wear a helmet.

Every rich dick is also supposed to be same for the law in Thailand.

There also is supposed to be not a coup every 2 years.

You're are in your trolling days again it seems.

Nonsense. Again.

The reason my wife will have nothing to do with, and has nothing good to say about Songkran; is because of things that happened to her by men acting on the attitudes expressed here.

I find it hard to believe that some of you have convinced yourself, that every woman in the crowd is hoping you'll honk their boobs. Is it so difficult to imagine, based on your experience among women the rest of the year; that most women don't want you touching them anywhere at all. Why would that fact change because they came to enjoy the water fight?

Of course if all you know are whores then it is less difficult to see why you think this way.

Personally I hate the whole charade and lock myself away. I do think that and have seen many male Thais take the opportunity to be malicious and do grope ladies. It is also one of the few times I see Thais acknowledge and speak to others, who are not fiends and family. All strange to me still. Yes I understand it, I just disagree with the over zealous celebrations it has turned into.

I have to agree with you, but i would stick many farangs into this excuse to fondle thai women. There seems to be a thought process by tourists that it is acceptable to grope and fondle, but doesnt seem to happen in shopping malls??? i wonder why. A 6 month jail sentence and a 5 yerar ban from Thaialnd would help to stop this mass sexual abuse/attack.

get dressed up in sexy clothes,wet T-shirt,get drunk and dance around with drunk men,what do you expect to happen

I CERTAINLY wouldnt expect her to be seualy abused, whether she has sexy clothes on or not. If she was drunk then i would make certain she isnt being sexualy assaulted, she needs protection, or sent home.

The reason my wife will have nothing to do with, and has nothing good to say about Songkran; is because of things that happened to her by men acting on the attitudes expressed here.

I find it hard to believe that some of you have convinced yourself, that every woman in the crowd is hoping you'll honk their boobs. Is it so difficult to imagine, based on your experience among women the rest of the year; that most women don't want you touching them anywhere at all. Why would that fact change because they came to enjoy the water fight?

Of course if all you know are whores then it is less difficult to see why you think this way.

I agree, my skin crawls when i see and here what some farangs think of songkran, a legal right to manhandle/ grope/ sexualy asault women?????. Perverts dont come to Thailand u are not welcome.

I have. I once near Suandok Gate(Chiang Mai) crossed the Conga line of barely moving pickup trucks dragging the typical strings of empty Chang cans. Group of drunken youths following the truck. One of them slapped me on the derriere like I was a common trollop! Cheeky bugger.

Ah this topic is half gold, keep it up guys, I'm enjoying myself. Primal urges, victim blaming, being in the past, mixing reality with wishful thinking....soon got everything covered that scratching the surface only thumbsup.gif

Oh Dear God . . . .please keep the feminist zealots out of print.

A few blokes who couldn't get laid in a brothel ( Thailand) like fondling women when they can get away with it and suddenly ALL men are sexual predators . . . . . . .

on the same day as France makes paying prostitutes illegal whilst accepting money for sex remains perfectly okay. So ridiculous a law that there must be a motive behind it (if anyone says to stop trafficking . . . . . . !)

Kill all Men and be done with it!!!

Really, have any of you seen a farang grabbing a woman without invitation?

I have seen local youths grab a ladyboy and pursue her pretty forcefully, like dogs after a rabbit . . .it was disturbing. Never seen a farang do it though.

Mmm hmmmm

How old is your wife now, and how old was she when she stopped participation in songkran in skimpy clothes?

Mmm hmmmm

How old is your wife now, and how old was she when she stopped participation in songkran in skimpy clothes?

I see what you are implying. If you knew her you would think differently.

Oh Dear God . . . .please keep the feminist zealots out of print.

A few blokes who couldn't get laid in a brothel ( Thailand) like fondling women when they can get away with it and suddenly ALL men are sexual predators . . . . . . .

on the same day as France makes paying prostitutes illegal whilst accepting money for sex remains perfectly okay. So ridiculous a law that there must be a motive behind it (if anyone says to stop trafficking . . . . . . !)

Kill all Men and be done with it!!!

I have seen local youths grab a ladyboy and pursue her pretty forcefully, like dogs after a rabbit . . .it was disturbing. Never seen a farang do it though.

Nobody said all men are sexual predators. Where did you get that from? However those who grope woman are sexual predators.

That's not feminism, it's reality.

Mmm hmmmm

I see what you are implying. If you knew her you would think differently.

You're a lot politer and exercise greater self control than I would.

I'd tell the <deleted> you're responding to that he should go <deleted> himself for making such snide comments.

Ah, blaming the victim.

Pathetic.

supposed being the operative word

a giant wet tee shirt contest and there are men here who say they are staying home?

cowards. :)

We wish but alas Thai women are not known for having anything more than small breasts.

Is that a fact based on your research at wet tee shirt events or just poor eye sight?

I heard a few girls tell me they had been groped at kaosan in particular.

In all the cases it turned out they meant someone had lingered too long on their face when applying the clay paste. Does that count as a real groping? They didn't feel good about it anyway.

To be honest, I've always noticed the ladies to be the more "playful", flirting and touching/groping part of the two sexes, also among Thais, both in villages and cities, but I guess since most men are ok with it or don't openly complain about it (because it's more embarrassing and is not taken as serious as it would be if it was done to a female) then it may look like it's the other way around, and especially since women tend to be more "awarded" when complaining and the society is much more tolerant with women than men.

Just saying. I personally don't mind it, but these feminist and equality movements are a bit "a-right-for-women-only" kinda thing... ironically.

But anyway, I doubt groping is a serious problem in Thailand, but if it really is then it should be addressed, fairly that is.

Never seen a farang do it though.

neither have i, not completely unwanted or with strangers

I don't know who you are quoting or how my name ended up on the post you quoted but I didn't say that.

Archived