Fathers Rights

jamie2009

Unless married then the child is the mother has sole parental rights. The father may have gone to court to get shared custody & she may be hiding from him so he cannot exercise the right but in thai law, unless married or legitimized after the birth, the father will not have any parental rights.

Jamie2009, you reactions alone give us enough of a clue

Why is the concept of this girl not being truthful to you so important, you have to defend yours or her honour first, why?

Especially if she did lie to you for what she may have thought was a good reason. Why is that so hard to believe?

Doesnt show much empathy for the girl, ironically one of the reasons she may feel she needs to lie to you

• 3 weeks later...

- My girlfriend has a boy from a previous relationship with a Thai, he is unaware about the child and she has no intention of telling him. I asked why, she said he could take the child from her as in Thailand the Father has parental rights, his name is not on the Birth Certificat

Jamie, I have heard what your girl friend says many times in the past. There is a simple explanation as to why she says what she does. She doesn't mean anything bad (and neither do I when I write what I do), it's just that what she says is common belief among many uneducated in Thailand

There are quite a few Thai's who think that the father has "more" rights to the child, the same people also think that surname matters, and that the fathers name on the birth certificate matters. Nothing of that is correct

Common belief vs. facts

And against what many westerners would think: If she has real concern that the father would not be good, then I'd agree with her, why tell him? That is just common sense

- My girlfriend has a boy from a previous relationship with a Thai, he is unaware about the child and she has no intention of telling him. I asked why, she said he could take the child from her as in Thailand the Father has parental rights, his name is not on the Birth Certificat

Jamie, I have heard what your girl friend says many times in the past. There is a simple explanation as to why she says what she does. She doesn't mean anything bad (and neither do I when I write what I do), it's just that what she says is common belief among many uneducated in Thailand

There are quite a few Thai's who think that the father has "more" rights to the child, the same people also think that surname matters, and that the fathers name on the birth certificate matters. Nothing of that is correct

Common belief vs. facts

And against what many westerners would think: If she has real concern that the father would not be good, then I'd agree with her, why tell him? That is just common sense

Hmmm...I think you simply mix up "the way of thinking by uneducated thais" and plain narcissistic behaviour the woman shows ( according to what OP has written). Quite a naive statement.

In the interest of ur gf's child I assume that you as "an educated" foreigner have clearly told her that her attitude only serves her own interest and not the childs and the unknow father. Right ?

Common belief vs. facts

Hmmm...I think you simply mix up "the way of thinking by uneducated thais" and plain narcissistic behaviour the woman shows ( according to what OP has written). Quite a naive statement.

In the interest of ur gf's child I assume that you as "an educated" foreigner have clearly told her that her attitude only serves her own interest and not the childs and the unknow father. Right ?

No, it's just that I have been here for 24 years now and I understand why Thai Juvenile law gives the mother sole custody and the father has to ask for it unless he shows the commitment to legally marry.

It's to protect the child. It is correct and I hope that it stays that way because it is the best for the child most of the time

A Thai Juvenile court judge once told me the same to me when I was in Juvenile court as an interpreter.

I find nothing in this story that tells me that the father would be a caring and good father, in fact I hear the opposite

If the guy found out now he has a kid there's not much he can do apart from petition the court for shared custody.

Although his chances are slim considering he's been absent.

Can he just come and take the kid?, absolutely not.

If she can lie about this one thing there's more lies been told and to come.

You said " I'll never be fooled and lose all my money"

But from what you've wrote so far you are being fooled.

You just the need to wait for the broke part.

Common belief vs. facts

No, it's just that I have been here for 24 years now and I understand why Thai Juvenile law gives the mother sole custody and the father has to ask for it unless he shows the commitment to legally marry.

It's to protect the child. It is correct and I hope that it stays that way because it is the best for the child most of the time

A Thai Juvenile court judge once told me the same to me when I was in Juvenile court as an interpreter.

I find nothing in this story that tells me that the father would be a caring and good father, in fact I hear the opposite

This story...do you mean the story of your gf or the OP ? I was referring to your gf's situation and your judgement on it.

Also the fact that you base your own opinion on a judge who is conditioned by a mantra which causes broken families where the children are the biggest sufferers......beyond understanding.

Where do you base it upon that children, in Thailand, are most of the time best off with their mother ?

Common belief vs. facts

This story...do you mean the story of your gf or the OP ? I was referring to your gf's situation and your judgement on it.

Also the fact that you base your own opinion on a judge who is conditioned by a mantra which causes broken families where the children are the biggest sufferers......beyond understanding.

Where do you base it upon that children, in Thailand, are most of the time best off with their mother ?

First, I haven't had a girl friend for 10 years smile.png

Then, read my post more carefully please.

Mothers are given sole custody and the father has to ask for it unless he shows the commitment to legally marry

I don't say that children are best off with their mother at all, where do you get that from? smile.png

It is my argument that the child is best protected by decision rights being with the mother IF the father does NOT show commitment

If the father does show commitment, then the Thai Juvenile court system is one of the better ones in the world at recognising that and give him equal decision rights regardless of if he is a foreigner or not

And I don't base my opinion on what a judge said, I had that opinion also before I talked to him

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, according to my research, the biological father, whomever he may be has absolutely no parental powers. Were he to find out, no matter how, he would first have to prove paternity, with or without the mother's support. This involves a specific court and registration process. If he could even manage to get through all the paternity approval (w/o his name on the birth certificate and absolutely no evidence to show) he would have to go through a legitimization process at the local registration office and do an Amphur whereby the mother has sole right to sign or not sign after the father signs. If she refuses to sign, then the legitimization process goes to court, where the judge and lawyers wait for an appointed official from the OPC (Observation and Protection Center) to perform a social study of the case prior to trial. Normally both parents and the child will be requested to appear for interview. This could go bad for the so-called father if he made it this far, because short of an HLA DNA test, he will be hard put to prove he is the father, and the kid certainly won't know him from anyone else.

But... if he manages to convince the OPC official, who reports all of this back to the judge prior to the Legitimization and Parental Powers hearing, then the judge will be the final word in determining what sort of parental powers the father has.

Judging by the story... the man has no chance at all... if the story is true.

Legally, the birth mother has full parental powers if the child is born out of wedlock and I mean legal wedlock where the happy couple filed at the local registration office. Having a ceremony does not count. Not being on the birth certificate as the father would be go a considerable distance in putting one's foot in the door for paternity... but she pretty much sealed his fate for any chance of ever being given any credit or incrimination as being the biological father of that little human being.

Now, regarding why she has not told the father, no one knows and no one has the right to judge without all the facts. In this I agree with the courts, that the best interests of the child are taken into consideration. True, he could not have known had she pulled a runner and was not showing signs of being pregnant, and then again, Thais do love gossip, and if this took place in the home town where everyone knows your name, then maybe the father had a clue and could have pursued it... then again we could go on all night about this and the kid needs its dinner and a bath and some hugs and kisses and put to bed by then.

Sometimes life just sucks... it really does, and it is a regrettable shame. Kid's got enough problems... I would just move on and give it love and hope instead of sadness and regret.

Archived