Thai business celebrities defend their names in Panama Paper scandal

webfact

Thai business celebrities defend their names in Panama Paper scandal

Panama-Papers-wpcf_728x409.png

BANGKOK: -- Thai business celebrities embroiled in the Panama Papers came out to defend their names and questioned the accountability of the Panama documents.

Posted on his Facebook page, Banyong Pongpanich, chief executive officer of Kiatnakin bank, said he never knew of the law firm, Mossack Fonseca, and used its services.

He also said he never had any lawyer in Panama.

At the same time, Boonkiat Chokwatana, president and chief executive of ICC International, an affiliate of Sahapat Group, admitted that Sahapat has registered an overseas investment to accommodate its expansion and distribution, but everything was conducted through legal channel and abided by the laws.

He insisted that the group never invested via either Cayman Islands or the British Virgin Islands.

Charn Issara Development chief executive Songkran Issara also defended his reputation saying leak in the controversial documents was 100% baseless and untrue.

He urged the Thai media to help giving facts and presenting truth to the public for clarification.

Admiral Bannawit Kengrien, former advisor to the Ministry of Defence, said he did not understand why his name was listed in the blacklist.

All names in the blacklist are the billionaires, he said and added he never had any business overseas because he could not afford to invest overseas.

But he said he could not say whether the information leaked in the Panama Papers are accountable.

Chanachai Srichaphan, father of the world’s former No 9 tennis champion Paradorn Srichaphan, also dismissed the information in the controversial papers.

He said he never opened a company to avoid taxes and was astonished to be among the blacklist.

Leading folk singer Yuenyong Opakul or well-known under his stage name as Aed Carabao said as far as he learned the information about him in the Panama Paper might be outdated since he first entered a joint venture to do an energy drink business with a business partner.

But he had no part in doing any activities with the law firm.

He added that it was possible to have his name in the document.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158607

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-07

I was having a look at the list of 780 individuals (in Thailand) last night and it seems to me this list has been online since 2013. Goes back to as far as 2010, not 2015, and it's part of the previous Porticullus leak.

So it's not actually Panama papers.

I was having a look at the list of 780 individuals (in Thailand) last night and it seems to me this list has been online since 2013. Goes back to as far as 2010, not 2015, and it's part of the previous Porticullus leak.

What's the URL of the list?

offshoreleaks.icij.org , after clicking i have read and understood/submit, in the All countries tab, select Thailand, leave the second tab empty and press Search.

offshoreleaks.icij.org , after clicking i have read and understood/submit, in the All countries tab, select Thailand, leave the second tab empty and press Search.

Thanks.

With regards to Thailand the current Panama Papers has a much shorter list than these 780 entities from 2010. The aggregated Panama Papers data will not be released in full until May

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?country=TH&q=&ppl=on&ent=on&adr=on

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1460013781&section=11&typecate=06

Until the leaked information is released in its entirety - possibly early May - neither the domestic media nor law enforcement will know who is among the 21 Thais linked to Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca, along with 963 companies, 40 beneficiaries and 757 shareholders in Thailand.

While it’s possible some of the same names from the 2013 leak are also implicated in the Panama Papers, there is no guarantee of that until the full set is released.

I guess it's wait and see.

.....such patriots.....

...do you expect them to confess......

...hope the military nabs them all......

...plundering their own country....

Nab them? They can't/won't even nab some fat posh girl, Chalerm's son or the Red Bull heir for murder so these aren't going to be sweating today.......

.....such patriots.....

...do you expect them to confess......

...hope the military nabs them all......

...plundering their own country....

"hope the military nabs them all"........."plundering their own country"..............

Is this your view of the solution?.....Do you understand who is plundering the country right now.?

It ain't Thaksin this time!

If we were to draw a parallel with aviation, it can be described as follows:

The structures on the old leaks can be defined as business class.

Mossack Fonseca is first class.

In other words, expect some of those 21 names to be "a threat to national security".

Am I the only one who don't have a offshore company in Panama? ermm.gif

None of these fine gentleman have them either. Case closed.
You must have the wrong crystal ball there with that statement.

Am I the only one who don't have a offshore company in Panama? ermm.gif

None of these fine gentleman have them either. Case closed.
You must have the wrong crystal ball there with that statement.

I'm sure his statement was meant sarcastically.

You see, easily explained. The Thai names included is all just a big mistake.

The real questions are can all those named account for all their wealth and pertinently how it was acquired?

Account to whom exactly?

The real questions are can all those named account for all their wealth and pertinently how it was acquired?

Account to whom exactly?

Anybody who cares.

Account to whom exactly?
Anybody who cares.

I'm struggling to understand who does. The people in the villages are already in the process of receiving 200K baht in preparation for the referendum.

Archived