Driving a tuk tuk

Not so fast chaps.

Obviously it's not permitted if the vehicle is on a yellow (taxi) plate, but I seem to remember reading that it's no longer possible to register a tuktuk on a black plate sad.png

Moving to motoring (or should it be bikes) for directed input.

The Tuk Tuk is protected under Thai law.....

You can have one if under the umbrella of a Thai ownership...

However - you will be hounded and stopped incessantly if you drive one because you are not Thai = they believe you are taking income from the Thais....

I thought it would be a lark/fun to have one for errands -> the more I checked the less fun it became......

I can buy one under my wife's name but the idea is to hang around alone. Actually, i'm disabled from the right hand and i am looking for a vehicle i could drive.

This is an idea i have to forget.

The Tuk Tuk is protected under Thai law.....

You can have one if under the umbrella of a Thai ownership...

However - you will be hounded and stopped incessantly if you drive one because you are not Thai = they believe you are taking income from the Thais....

I thought it would be a lark/fun to have one for errands -> the more I checked the less fun it became......

No idea...tuk tuk for farangs.. but seen a few that are Privately owned, most have been re-painted but some still in the Taxi colours, non have number plates on them, same as the 3 wheel motorbikes with a Pickup bed on the back....... place in Bang Yai sell them new for 60 - 65,000 baht...

around where I live go to a Village market you will see a few owned by the market traders.

I can buy one under my wife's name but the idea is to hang around alone. Actually, i'm disabled from the right hand and i am looking for a vehicle i could drive.

This is an idea i have to forget.

Maybe a trike on basis of a scooter is a option for you.

There are dealers who offer such trikes with green book.

Yes it's legal. Where to buy? Just ask the next tuk-tuk driver you see where he bought his.

hmmm great info it's my yearn. I will buy tuk tuk and drive.

post-71388-0-17868700-1461221235_thumb.jpost-71388-0-63026400-1461221250_thumb.jI have owned a tuk tuk for around 8 years here in Pattaya, 650cc Dihatsu.

You need a drivers license for a tuk tuk, similar to the motor bike test, but you have to make a reverse for around 25 yards, so you need a reverse gear, many machines do not have this.

Was unable to get this tuk tuk registered, visited Land Transport Office at Morchit and Chonburi.

Have been fined 200 Baht on 2 occasions for not having a number plate, but have driven as far as Bang Na and Sattahip, Rarely ever stopped by the boys in brown.

The only insurance have ever been able to get without any problems is Polar Bor.

The machine came from Mukdahan, it was custom made, making allowance for my longer than Thai legs.

If wish to buy a tuk tuk with a registration book from Bangkok you will need to pay a much higher price, forget how much to be exact, around 350000 Baht, in stead of the 75000 Baht paid by me.

So to finish, this is the best value machine I have ever owned, trouble free motoring, have had as much as a ton weight in the back, building materials. Tom

Archived