Opening of Bank Account in BKK w/o WP or Retirement Visa?

Hi

Which bank in Bangkok allows me to open a new personal bank account without showing a Work Permit OR a retirement visa? Just SCB and BKK branches declined to open one, even as I have valid credit cards with them AND bank accounts . They said I need to go to the HQ's (and outcome would be still uncertain).

Just can't find my old (but still in use) bank books.

Besides of those above, does Citibank need a WP or a Retirement Visa?

Any suggestions? Seems everything is tied here now to either a hudge amount of money, employment/WP or retirement visa

Any other ways suggested? Such as using PayPal? That would not be the final solution, though and likely expensive.

Please let me know. Thanks.

R.

?

Do you just have lost sight of your existing bank books or do you really need a new account?

If you have bank account(s) already, you hopefully remember at which branch they are managed.

Go there with your passport and tell them you lost the books and let them check the account number(s).

They will request that you make a police report about the loss and with that they will issue replacement(s).

Strange that you have been sent around that way.

What nationality are you?

USA?

Thanks for the tip. No, I'm from German, but be here since decades. Have full family, too. The accounts are actually still being servered at times, eventually, so if I change them, some money may not arrive. Otherwise, you have right. Yes, I do remember at which branches they were made at and consider one of them visiting. Still, if I could just open a brand new account anywhere, that would be best. I like to get some money from my German family on separate accounts.

It is very strange that I can't transfer money to here - where, if and when I want. It goes against all business practices. We are not talking about millions of bahts.

Any other options, banks?

Not uncommon for some bank branches to treat each new account opening as if you are a brand new customer/must meet all current new account opening requirements. Even if you already have one or more accounts with a branch and want to open another one. It can get frustrating.

Thanks for the tip. No, I'm from German, but be here since decades. Have full family, too. The accounts are actually still being servered at times, eventually, so if I change them, some money may not arrive. Otherwise, you have right. Yes, I do remember at which branches they were made at and consider one of them visiting. Still, if I could just open a brand new account anywhere, that would be best. I like to get some money from my German family on separate accounts.

It is very strange that I can't transfer money to here - where, if and when I want. It goes against all business practices. We are not talking about millions of bahts.

On what basis do you remain in Thailand ?

The banks tend to look for some kind of extension of stay ie working,retired, married etc.

AN American friend just went through the ordeal of trying to open an Thai account so he can begin accumulating funds for a retirement visa when he turns 50 next year. He stays in Thailand on tourist visas but works only out of the country.

Long story short, he went to literally dozens of branches of every major bank and was consistently turned down until one day a lady at Bank of Ayudaya (sp?) just said "Yes" and opened a passbook account with debit card...I think he paid a B300 fee but that may not be accurate.

Moral of the story is "NO" until somebody says "Yes". Just a question of perseverance and luck but it can be done.

I seem to be seeing more and more posts were banks are asking for a residency certificate (regardless of a person's nationality) from the person's home country embassy or Thai immigration. Guess this gives Thai banks a warm fuzzy a person is spending significant time in Thailand, living here all the time, authorized to be in Thailand, not an overstayer, etc.....and helps confirm the person is really who he says he is.

And I expect some not-so-friendly-towards-opening-accounts-for-farang' branches know asking for a residency certificate is an easy way to say No with a smile.

Yea, I know some Thai bank websites never call out the possible need for a residency certificate, but I am seeing more posts where a residency certificate has been asked for....even bumped into another farang a few weeks ago at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok wanting to get residency certificate since the bank said he needed one to open an account....I don't know what kind visa/extension he had (if any)...he might have been on vacation to Thailand for a week...I don't know.

Yeap, opening a Thai bank account can get frustrating sometimes even with a long stay visa/extension and living in Thailand full time. Some branches are just very picky when it comes to opening accounts for farangs. Then again, you see many posts from farangs opening an account with nothing more than a 15/30 permitted to stay stamp in their passport...literally right after stepping off the airplane for a few days vacation in Thailand. All depends on the branch and other various factors.

Hi

Which bank in Bangkok allows me to open a new personal bank account without showing a Work Permit OR a retirement visa? Just SCB and BKK branches declined to open one, even as I have valid credit cards with them AND bank accounts . They said I need to go to the HQ's (and outcome would be still uncertain).

Just can't find my old (but still in use) bank books.

Besides of those above, does Citibank need a WP or a Retirement Visa?

Any suggestions? Seems everything is tied here now to either a hudge amount of money, employment/WP or retirement visa

Any other ways suggested? Such as using PayPal? That would not be the final solution, though and likely expensive.

Please let me know. Thanks.

R.

I opened my scb account with my ED-visa. No questions where asked. 20 min and everything was done.

Also ensure that your Thai bank account shows regular activity and that the annual ATM/debit card fee is on your account for when the fee is charged. They'll shut your account in the blink of an eye for non-conformity.

My wife and I reside in the UK and only visit LOS twice a year, but I make sure the above points are covered to keep my account active. Having a Bangkok Bank account and internet banking is extremely convenient, particularly when the exchange rate is favourable as I can transfer money over to take advantage for our next trip [from a f/x account to avoid all that UK banking rip-off nonsense].

Over the years I've managed to bolt down the most profitable way of transferring cash to LOS but always on the lookout for the next best thing.

What kind of visa you have? If you have family here you should be on a None-O visa which is not that difficult to open an account. Bangkok Bank seems to be the best bank to open a new account. I am from Germany too

I'm still not aware where the best place is to go, but luckily, I did found an older Bangkok Bank passbook from me. I went to Big C branch Onnut (BKK Bank) and got immediately a new book (same account) and a new chiped ATM card. The old book were from the HQ in Silom.

The bank's personal were efficient, very kindly and helpful - but it was the same branch/bank I got a day earlier a NEW passbook denied. Without that old passbook I'm probably still testing different banks and branches around.

So even if a passbook might have been expired, it looks like the best is to keep it for now.

Thanks All

P.S. My visa is a non-o. They looked at my passport and made a copy to be signed, but the most important issue was that I had an account with BKK bank already and could prove it.

Archived