Drought blamed as thousands of fish found dead in Lampang

webfact

Drought blamed as thousands of fish found dead in Lampang
Kwaang Siripoom

fish.jpg
Image: Manager.co.th

LAMPANG:-- Hundreds of villagers gathered in Lampang on Sunday after thousands of fish were found dead in the Nam Wang river.

The death of fish is being blamed on the severe drought affecting many parts of Thailand, reports Manager.co.th.

Municipal officials said that the lack of water caused and a sudden decrease in oxygen levels which resulted in the death of the fish.

Locals first spotted the dead fish on Sunday morning and by late Sunday evening more than 100 people were said to be collecting the dead fish from the water.

A villager who lives nearby the river told local reporters that an unusual smell of fish was coming from the water on Saturday evening. On Sunday morning they woke up to find the whole river full with dead fish.

The low water levels in Nam Wang is the result of the local authority draining water out the river so it can be used in drought hit areas throughout the province. The water was drained so that the river could then take more water from Kiw Lom dam as part of the water management during the current drought crisis.

However, the draining of the water resulted in oxygen levels dropping too low for the fish meaning they had an insufficient amount of oxygen to survive.

Source: Manager.co.th

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-11

Not surprised at all,a small river at the rear of our property,stopped flowing

a few weeks ago,was covered in water weeds,now its turned a smelly,black,

anaerobic,mess,nothing will be able to live in that water,the river is dead,

in the 25+ years I have lived in this house I have never seen it in a state like

this.

The river was full of quite a few species of fish,water birds,Kingfishers,

sadly all gone,I hope after the coming rainy season,it will be flushed

out,but i can see it been a long time ,till it returns to a normal river again.

regards Worgeordie

I live in Lampang and out and about this morning the water fights have begun.

Were they throwing dead fish with the water ?? Had water thrown at my truck in Lampang on Sunday, no fish spotted.. Did notice the river was very low, and the locals, North of town had set up sandbag dams, and put up tents and tables in the pools they created, to cool themselves down I assume.

And the villagers collected and ate or sold the dead fish, without a proper analyses as to what caused the death.

Just because they were assured by some nitwits in the local government who put the blame on the drought.

Morons !

The small lakes at Hangdong golf course are so low that the fish there are gasping for oxygen and it looks like a similar fate awaits them and many other lakes and ponds in the not too distant future.

The impending disaster that was obvious back in October is now coming to fruition following zero planning, lack of control and restrictions on water usage.

The small lakes at Hangdong golf course are so low that the fish there are gasping for oxygen and it looks like a similar fate awaits them and many other lakes and ponds in the not too distant future.

The impending disaster that was obvious back in October is now coming to fruition following zero planning, lack of control and restrictions on water usage.

The drought potential was obvious back in October ... 2014. Whilst Thai water management is not up there with other countries like US or Aus it does have certain controls and planning. Skewed yes, not totally lacking. This crisis is educational.

But i bet they still find enough to water the green, what what

Wabotthai already mentioned the utter ignorence of public health

Dead fish collected ,probably frozen in and out a couple of times and a sudden spike in health care problems will arise in a week or so.

Free!

The fish probably died from heat Most fresh water fish that survive here can tolerate very low O. levels and can breath surface air. when water levels get too low and the temp rises too high they die. People have learned to use these fish for survival, dried and salted they will help get through drought times.

Archived