Rainbow bagels ... coming to Thailand?

Jingthing

This seems perfect for Thailand.

Thais aren't much for bagels, but this could be the entry point.

So "trendy", so colorful, so ridiculous. "Bread" more like CAKE.

With "funfetti" cream cheese. I think I need to vomit now.

No, I don't want one even with no line.

"It's the line for rainbow bagels!" a little girl yells.

She takes out her phone and opens Instagram. She holds it out so the woman can see the striped, multi-colored bagel in all its glory, accompanied, of course, by the hashtag #rainbowbagel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/11/the-most-controversial-bagel-in-brooklyn/?hpid=hp_no-name_wb-bagel-130pm_2%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Thanks for posting that. I was born in Williamsburg and lived there until I was around 10. Believe me there was nothing chic or trendy about it all, it was the place you moved out of. It was still very Jewish through the 1960s, but the tribe and the smattering of other 3rd generation Europeans was migrating to Long Island and the latinos were moving in, mostly Cuban refugees and Puerto Ricans at that time. In the 1970s it got slummier and dangerous. I was in the same neighborhood Mel Brooks grew up in, but 25 years later. It beggars belief that those lousy tenements we lived in for less than $50/month are now officially cool and cost in the thousands.

This ridiculous bagel with food dye is a great emblem for just how goofy modern trendiness contrasts to a traditional food. Not completely original, search 'voodoo donuts portland' and you'll see what I mean.

Archived