Singaporean electrician falls to his death helping others at Bangkok condo

webfact

Singaporean electrician falls to his death helping others at Bangkok condo

bkk.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A retired Singaporean electrical engineer called to help with a power cut at a condo fell to his death down a shaft for power cables.

The tragic accident occurred at a condominium in the Prawet district of Bangkok on Sunday. Udom Suk police called to the condo found 64 year old Sim Lee Chai with a broken neck in a pool of blood at the foot of an electrical shaft serving the 12 storey building, reports Thairath.

Security guard Wachira Janyatham, 60, said that he had asked Chai to help out when a tenth floor room had a power outage. Chai ran a shop on the first floor with his wife and was often asked to help out with problems at the condo because of his expertise.

They went up to a control room on the tenth floor but while Chai was stretching attending to a switch and holding a screwdriver he slipped and fell down the shaft. Wachira was shining a torch and watched helplessly as the Singaporean disappeared down to his death.

Chai's tearful wife of thirty years, Jitrapa Kritpitayawet, 57, said that Chai was a lovely man who spoke Thai and was always on hand to help others who had problems at the condo.

Police said that Chai had been an electrical engineer before retiring and opening a grocer's shop with his wife. His body was sent for detailed autopsy and the embassy has been informed.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-12

R.I.P Mr Chai, "Chai's tearful wife of thirty years" must have been devastated by this.

Yet the slow learners and corrupt builders will not change their ways or utilize lessons learned and will continue to take short cuts and by pass safety measures to save a buck.

And will never loose any sleep if any one is hurt or killed.

Sad indeed but there may be more to this than meets the eye. Turf war perhaps?

Maybe the only war going on is the one in your head.

Seriously man.

Exactly.

I wonder what percentage of TV commentators are seriously mentally impaired. Either that or just plain stupid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

RIP to the guy who was trying to help out.

It beggars belief when you see the internal design of relatively new high-rise apartments here.

In our condo from the corridor leading to the apartments there are open "windows" looking into ventilation shafts that are about 1.5 x 2 Metres wide and up to 10 stories deep.

The lower edge of these windows are only one metre above floor level of the corridor.

Just looking down into these shafts gives me the creeps.

No mesh barrier or other method to prevent somebody falling in?

You know how children like to climb walls.

You could never allow a child into the corridor unsupervised,

Seriously man.

Exactly.

I wonder what percentage of TV commentators are seriously mentally impaired. Either that or just plain stupid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Me think quite a Few,,, whistling.gif

He was not familiar to the difference in building safety between Singapore and Thailand. All such shafts in Singapore has to have a standing platform.

But look, he had lived and worked there for ages, in Thailand, I mean!

Where did you come to the conclusion that he had lived and worked here a long time?

One can have a Thai wife living with him in Singapore, and had only retired here a few years ago.

RIP and condolences to his wife and family.

Would like to say something to the TV "bash Thailand at any opportunity / conspiracy theorists / troll" but what's the point.?

RIP and condolences to his wife and family.

Would like to say something to the TV "bash Thailand at any opportunity / conspiracy theorists / troll" but what's the point.?

Bashing? The lesson here is that decades of experience in your home country may actual be a detriment to your life when in a third world country.

Yikes. Being a retired electrician from Singapore doesn't exactly make you a handyman in Thailand. You need another degree for it. It's not for the amount of knowledge of the science and trade, it's for the mind boggling jungle gyms and obstacle courses of Thai construction and utilities. RIP sir.

Seriously man.

Wouldn't count on too much going on there.

Archived