Where to buy fitness equipment? specifically cardio

riorobc023

I'm looking to sell a Concept2 rower (used in most gyms) for 30,000 Baht (retails at 67,000 here from the local dealer). You seem to be looking more at options that focus on the legs, but this is also a good aerobic workout (in addition to working your arms, shoulders, upper back, core...). No pressure of course. If you google the Bangkok dealer / importer you'll see a bunch of other gym equipment. My problem with the stuff here is that it's at least twice the price as what you'd pay in the West. Personally I'd stay clear of inexpensive treadmills as the belt tends to skid the moment the foot lands, which makes them all but useless for me.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2016 at 4:12 PM, Mooner said:

Just do HITT training. No equipment needed.

That's the same as saying no one needs a car, which is correct as most people don't need one. I don't.

It's about wanting something, not necessarily needing it. With exercise, there are always many options, but everyone has their own favourites and working out at home in private is the best way for many.

HIIT training is hard to do without equipment unless one likes to run, which is a lousy choice of exercise for older folk.

(Yes, I know this is an old post - I'm looking for equipment)

On 4/13/2016 at 2:11 PM, riorobc023 said:

Looking to buy a stepper/stepmill/stairmaster here for my flat.

anyone know of any websites to buy this type of equipment here?

new or second hand is fine

https://www.tvdirect.tv/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_content=671735201-40211726093-1t1_g_t&utm_term=tv direct_p_1t1_g_t&utm_campaign=*TV-Direct_Retails&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzvm8n7jI1gIViKFoCh2cIAF4EAAYASAAEgLnQvD_BwE

On 4/17/2016 at 4:12 PM, Mooner said:

Just do HITT training. No equipment needed.

This.

All you need is HITT.

If you want to do weight training, then get a TRX. Or a knock-off TRX on Lazada for next to nothing. And a pull-up bar never hurts.

45 minutes ago, Senechal said:

This.

All you need is HITT.

If you want to do weight training, then get a TRX. Or a knock-off TRX on Lazada for next to nothing. And a pull-up bar never hurts.

LOL> pullups hurt me quite a bit... injured my bicep and it's hard on the shoulders too if you weigh over 100kg.  

I prefer a real gym with weights and high-quality cardio equipment. Each to their own.

I don't know what you mean to "all you need is HIIT". Are you suggesting running for people who are asking about home gym equipment? The reason they're inquiring is to set up a home gym. If they just wanted to run they wouldn't be asking. Also saying "all you need" is not true. It's better to mix HIIT with slower cardio sessions to allow your body to recover. You can burn out very quickly on HIIT if you're not careful. I do both but wouldn't suggest just HIIT. 

Another point - you should be careful suggesting HIIT to older people who are out of condition (there are a lot of expats on here). HIIT involves pushing the heart rate very high for short periods - that's dangerous if someone has a heart condition, and a LOT of people have heart conditions. Heart disease is the highest single cause of natural death (death due to natural causes) in developed countries. Around 25% in the US, for example. There is no way I would recommend HIIT to anyone without a full medical examination AND a long period of building up fitness levels gradually.

1 hour ago, fusion58 said:

I was wondering if you've had any experience with the FAIRTEX POWER RUN TREADMILL 2.5-LITER TREADMILL for 25k. My wife is always bugging me for a treadmill and I keep telling her "no way". I just don't like treadmills. Treadmills take up a lot of space, but this one folds up. I won't be using it myself, so maybe it's good for a 40 plus kilogram lady and will last well.

Edit: After looking at a few videos of people running on them, I can see it's too short. They're taking baby steps and pretending to run. It would be super easy to fall off it if you're not paying attention.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> pullups hurt me quite a bit... injured my bicep and it's hard on the shoulders too if you weigh over 100kg.  

I prefer a real gym with weights and high-quality cardio equipment. Each to their own.

I don't know what you mean to "all you need is HIIT". Are you suggesting running for people who are asking about home gym equipment? The reason they're inquiring is to set up a home gym. If they just wanted to run they wouldn't be asking. Also saying "all you need" is not true. It's better to mix HIIT with slower cardio sessions to allow your body to recover. You can burn out very quickly on HIIT if you're not careful. I do both but wouldn't suggest just HIIT. 

Another point - you should be careful suggesting HIIT to older people who are out of condition (there are a lot of expats on here). HIIT involves pushing the heart rate very high for short periods - that's dangerous if someone has a heart condition, and a LOT of people have heart conditions. Heart disease is the highest single cause of natural death (death due to natural causes) in developed countries. Around 25% in the US, for example. There is no way I would recommend HIIT to anyone without a full medical examination AND a long period of building up fitness levels gradually.

Point taken. I should have considered age as a factor. I agree with you.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

I was wondering if you've had any experience with the FAIRTEX POWER RUN TREADMILL 2.5-LITER TREADMILL for 25k. My wife is always bugging me for a treadmill and I keep telling her "no way". I just don't like treadmills. Treadmills take up a lot of space, but this one folds up. I won't be using it myself, so maybe it's good for a 40 plus kilogram lady and will last well.

Edit: After looking at a few videos of people running on them, I can see it's too short. They're taking baby steps and pretending to run. It would be super easy to fall off it if you're not paying attention.

No experience with the treadmill you described.

I have purchased both an eliptical machine and a stationary bike from the source I linked. Both are high quality, and the price was right.

I bought a Proteus static bike about 5 years ago for cardio purposes from a sports shop in a shopping mall up the road a piece...it wasn't cheap, 8 - 9000bht but it's as good as any I've found in hotel exercise rooms and etc...it has a heart rate monitor as well as speed, distance, calories burned, elapsed time and that's all right fer me...ain't got no gyms or any other facilities where I live...queue up a movie and pedal away fer 30mins/day, keep an eye on the heart rate monitor, adjust the resistance, etc...

good to check out the item before purchasing to see that it's suitably adjustable, check the rotating/pedaling action, etc...

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

It's going to become a very expensive towel rack. 

Not everyone stops using his gym equipment, I bought equipment when I came here and in the years collected enough to have do all the major workouts. It might have been more expensive as going to gyms (though if I stay here longer it might work out break even). Been here 9-10 years already. 

But the best thing is it kept me from stopping to exercise, for me going to a gym everyday would cost me a lot more time then working out at home. I have been a member of California Wow and an other Chain near me but in the end it just cost me too much time. For me its more convenient to train when I want, with the music I want and the aircon on the setting I want.

Sure a home gym is not for everyone and a good one is expensive... but to automatically say that each gym piece someone buys will be a towel rack is a bit over the top.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

It's going to become a very expensive towel rack. 

Not everyone stops using his gym equipment, I bought equipment when I came here and in the years collected enough to have do all the major workouts. It might have been more expensive as going to gyms (though if I stay here longer it might work out break even). Been here 9-10 years already. 

But the best thing is it kept me from stopping to exercise, for me going to a gym everyday would cost me a lot more time then working out at home. I have been a member of California Wow and an other Chain near me but in the end it just cost me too much time. For me its more convenient to train when I want, with the music I want and the aircon on the setting I want.

Sure a home gym is not for everyone and a good one is expensive... but to automatically say that each gym piece someone buys will be a towel rack is a bit over the top.

I do hang my towels after I've worked out, to air out, so one could say I do have some very expensive towel racks in my gym LOL.

Sure, there are times when my equipment collects dust, but normally it is used 4 - 6 times a week by me and the wife. I also built my gym slowly, adding bits and pieces until it became a satisfying hobby.

Obviously, InMyShadow is questioning motivation. That can be low whether you own our own equipment OR have a gym membership. In the case of the latter, about 90% of gym members are holding a very expensive piece of plastic (the gym membership card).

Here's the big dilemma as I see it. If you buy cheap junk, you may not enjoy using it and will soon stop... in which case you own a relatively expensive (and ugly) towel rack. If you buy expensive equipment, you could still stop using it, but be more likely to continue. I would take a gamble on the latter. Of course expensive is a relative concept. The imported really good stuff (eg LIfeFitness) is prohibitively expensive in Thailand (expensive to ship and about 27% added duties and taxes), so most of us would settle for something available locally and moderately priced.

Good gyms are scarce in Thailand, so there's more incentive to set up one at home. The most difficult thing is finding a good place to put it if you rent. If you live in a condo, then you're really limited.

Archived