Topless Farang Fined 100 Baht in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its great - it gave me a good laugh and the poor sod arrested for such a ridiculous reason, was barely fined. laugh.png

Although on the 'down' side, he was probably terrified at being arrested by the police and it will have ruined his holiday. sad.png

"Don't make me pee in a bottle. Don't make me pee in a bottle. 100 Baht fine!!! Whew!"

If you follow Richard Barrow on Twitter they're saying the police instructed him to cover up at an opening ceremony attended by the tourism minister but he refused and this was the consequence

In all fairness, the original article says that he was arrested for indecent exposure ...perhaps he was not wearing the shorts at that time ? We all know how lax Thai journalists can be with the full facts, and coconuts is never slow to embellish stories for their readers when they repeat this sort of tabloid stuff.

The least of the problems with Songran is foreign hippy (hipster?) types who have decides to go shirtless. I would be much more on the side of the authorities if they stopped the foreign idiots who think it is a great idea to pour freezing cold ice water over people, especially older folks who might have a heart condition along with the Thai idiots who think it is very funny to turn a hose on a person trying to drive a motorbike down a road with obstacles.

thailand comes thru again as among the most absurd nations ever . swimmers beware

Well, yeah. Wasting your time for 100B?

Oh dear! methinks 'topless' is really about the girls.

I live in a typical Thai suburb. Me, the next door neighbour, the bloke down the road, and the policemen at the very end all walk about bare-chested when it is really hot; to name a few.

Nobody cares. Of course, women would be a completely different story.

Well. I wish these police would go around town, shopping malls, 7/11 etc and arrest all the shirtless men there , all the year round, not only Songkran ! I'm not a prude , but I do dislike half naked men around the shops, often sweaty and out of shape ! Sorry guys ! A crisp clean shirt makes you look oh so much better!

Well. I wish these police would go around town, shopping malls, 7/11 etc and arrest all the shirtless men there , all the year round, not only Songkran ! I'm not a prude , but I do dislike half naked men around the shops, often sweaty and out of shape ! Sorry guys ! A crisp clean shirt makes you look oh so much better!

Yes but the charge is one of obscenity: stretching things rather.

I do agree though. A shopping mall is a public arena. All they have to do to conform is slip on a wife-beater.

They should fine all foreigners 100 baht at the airport before they leave , because they are all sinners in the eyes of BIB, 100 baht will teach them until next time.

thailand comes thru again as among the most absurd nations ever . swimmers beware

Well, yeah. Wasting your time for 100B?

Oh dear! methinks 'topless' is really about the girls.

I live in a typical Thai suburb. Me, the next door neighbour, the bloke down the road, and the policemen at the very end all walk about bare-chested when it is really hot; to name a few.

Nobody cares. Of course, women would be a completely different story.

In Lanna history it was quite common to see women topless.In fact it was on the Thai Ministry of Cultures web site until it was removed.

I see many Thai men in Sankampaeng with shirts of walking through the city every day. why are they never arrested or fined. My small moo ban most men do not wear shirts after the sun goes down. This man is not a piece of candy! Just a normal hot man trying to feel cool . This PM is making Thailand a place that i am thinking about leaving!

8 years ago, as subject for discussion I asked my mature age students,all girls, at a private school (ages 21-35 ) what they didnt like about. foreigners.

First was that we tend to constantly criticise Thailand but choose to live here and secondly men wearing singlets in shopping centres.They saw that as lack of respect and not at all attractive.

If you follow Richard Barrow on Twitter they're saying the police instructed him to cover up at an opening ceremony attended by the tourism minister but he refused and this was the consequence

Haven't seen the article, but that makes sense.

The BIB can do stupid things at times, but arresting one solitary guy for not wearing a shirt (to gain a measly 100bht) makes even less sense than usual.

Still good for a laugh though!

Couldn't find the thread but was wondering what "Na.OK" means. I know "Na" is face. Is this something about saving face? It's really cool to waste your brain on the lingo posted here. With all the improper English spelling and grammar on Thaivisa sometimes one wonders whether it is a mistake. Don't get me wrong I love you guys, we're all from the same planet but please don't talk to us like we are supposed to know where you are coming from and what you mean so much of the time. Case in point being the mention of Zoe in Yellow...I know where it is the but in the threads there is mention of Bangkok and Khao San and I wondered whether there was one in Bangkok as well. Someone inquired "where is Zoe?" and they reply was "try google!"...helpful, but not nice. Maybe my post isn't just about "Na.OK"..I guess it just stirred up my frustration with what I know is an extended problem. It won't necessarily change but I am just saying!

Couldn't find the thread but was wondering what "Na.OK" means. I know "Na" is face. Is this something about saving face? It's really cool to waste your brain on the lingo posted here. With all the improper English spelling and grammar on Thaivisa sometimes one wonders whether it is a mistake. Don't get me wrong I love you guys, we're all from the same planet but please don't talk to us like we are supposed to know where you are coming from and what you mean so much of the time. Case in point being the mention of Zoe in Yellow...I know where it is but in the threads there is mention of Bangkok and Khao San and I wondered whether there was one in Bangkok as well. Someone inquired "where is Zoe?" and their reply was "try google!"...helpful, but not nice. Maybe my post isn't just about "Na.OK"..I guess it just stirred up my frustration with what I know is an extended problem. It won't necessarily change but I am just saying!

He probably did something extreme/offending and just deserved a warning. Because it was above 40 celcius the officer could only think of being topless to fine him.

Big deal.

He should stay at kao sarn road but i guess it was cheaper/colder upcountry.

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

"UPDATE: The shirtless tourist was fined because he was at the opening ceremony attended by VIPs including ministers."

" I read last night he was also asked to cover up and refused which is why he was fined."

(From today'sTweets to/from freelance journalist Richard Barrow)

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

haha I think he changed when his hair all fell out !!! What was good for him is not good for others now, and many drug addicted people around back then in the 60's, when Deep Purple were singing, purple rain.. and looks don't say shit about a person anyway.. pretty pathetic..

This is a major step in the right direction. Now if Thailand's finest would turn their attention to the open-sandal problem, the country would be well on the road to a thorough reversion to Buddhist standards.

In short, there are too many middle-aged farangs wandering around the provinces in open-toed sandals - with many of them displaying naked big toes for all to see!

The correct attire, as every sartorially-educated foreigner knows full well, is a pair of business socks - black or dark grey, it matters not - worn between the foot and the footwear, to cover the offending protuberances.

A modest fine of, say, 25,000 Baht in the first instance would soon stamp out this gross offence to Thai sensibilities.

Hear, hear! And what about the sleeveless vest with the large protuberances at the front? I feel that these items of attire should only be allowed to be worn by pregnant females, and any male found wearing one in public (especially during the day when there are numerous police available to monitor the situation) should be given an on the spot fine of 25,000 baht, or 3 months attitude adjustment training.

And next...........? Oh, yes shorts that are too long - health hazard? Too many pockets to hide illegal substances?

Archived