Topless Farang Fined 100 Baht in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"UPDATE: The shirtless tourist was fined because he was at the opening ceremony attended by VIPs including ministers."

" I read last night he was also asked to cover up and refused which is why he was fined."

(From today'sTweets to/from freelance journalist Richard Barrow)

Should have been mentioned in the article , it makes sense . Too late now.

"UPDATE: The shirtless tourist was fined because he was at the opening ceremony attended by VIPs including ministers."

" I read last night he was also asked to cover up and refused which is why he was fined."

(From today'sTweets to/from freelance journalist Richard Barrow)

Should have been mentioned in the article , it makes sense . Too late now.

Surely it was pretty obvious to anyone but the knee-jerk reaction, Thai's are stupid crowd that there would be a little more to this story?

Sorry to bother some of you...smile.png I know I know there is no Thai bashing on ThaiVisa only justify critics of Thai insanities rolleyes.gif

but reading comments like "thailand comes thru again as among the most absurd nations ever. swimmers beware"

Some would like to know Thailand is certainly not the only" absurd nation" For instance many towns in south of France have prohibited being topless in the city, the fine for refusing to put a shirt is 38€ ......Nice, Cannes Perpignan Antibes Menton among others towns

Same same in Italy Venise being the first example...

Corsica you'll be fined for being topless in Ajaccsio

In Spain same same in Barcelona the mayor said "only 200 people have been fined because most tourists put back they shirts when they see the police"

The links being not in English not authorised on TV but Google is there.

Sure. I think it is wrong to go shirtless in the city. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself, not even in a city by the sea. As soon as I come off the beach I wear a shirt.

Having said that, this is Songkran. That means the whole country becomes like the beach with water everywhere. Today I saw many many Thai men bare chested (actually I often see them) as they were getting wet through.

I would love to know just how many Thai men were fined or even warned about being topless.

Sorry, if I make this seem racist but someone please tell me why Thais weren't fined.

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

haha I think he changed when his hair all fell out !!! What was good for him is not good for others now, and many drug addicted people around back then in the 60's, when Deep Purple were singing, purple rain.. and looks don't say shit about a person anyway.. pretty pathetic..

Don't fink Deep Purple sang Purple Rain........

Maybe you are right,, but someone sang it back about then,, I never understood it as I was a bit younger, but someone told me it was about drugs..

Sorry to bother some of you...smile.png I know I know there is no Thai bashing on ThaiVisa only justify critics of Thai insanities rolleyes.gif

but reading comments like "thailand comes thru again as among the most absurd nations ever. swimmers beware"

Some would like to know Thailand is certainly not the only" absurd nation" For instance many towns in south of France have prohibited being topless in the city, the fine for refusing to put a shirt is 38€ ......Nice, Cannes Perpignan Antibes Menton among others towns

Same same in Italy Venise being the first example...

Corsica you'll be fined for being topless in Ajaccsio

In Spain same same in Barcelona the mayor said "only 200 people have been fined because most tourists put back they shirts when they see the police"

The links being not in English not authorised on TV but Google is there.

Sure. I think it is wrong to go shirtless in the city. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself, not even in a city by the sea. As soon as I come off the beach I wear a shirt.

Having said that, this is Songkran. That means the whole country becomes like the beach with water everywhere. Today I saw many many Thai men bare chested (actually I often see them) as they were getting wet through.

I would love to know just how many Thai men were fined or even warned about being topless.

Sorry, if I make this seem racist but someone please tell me why Thais weren't fined.

maybe because like someone said "that it was at the opening ceremony and he had already been asked to put a shirt on, and wouldn't...

The moat area today, the police were fining anyone shirtless 100 Bt and anyone drinking alcohol in public 3,000 Bt

Then on the way back along Loi Kroh saw they were telling bars to not splash water after 7pm. They were also switching off the music at the bars. They had one of those big cage trucks in tow, in case anyone had a "problem".

The moat area today, the police were fining anyone shirtless 100 Bt and anyone drinking alcohol in public 3,000 Bt

Then on the way back along Loi Kroh saw they were telling bars to not splash water after 7pm. They were also switching off the music at the bars. They had one of those big cage trucks in tow, in case anyone had a "problem".

Were they sporting jack boots and the iron cross?

Were they sporting jack boots and the iron cross?

You mean like only an iron cross and boots and nothing else!

Sorry had too much sun and we are on the subject of topless !

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

haha I think he changed when his hair all fell out !!! What was good for him is not good for others now, and many drug addicted people around back then in the 60's, when Deep Purple were singing, purple rain.. and looks don't say shit about a person anyway.. pretty pathetic..

Don't fink Deep Purple sang Purple Rain........

Maybe you are right,, but someone sang it back about then,, I never understood it as I was a bit younger, but someone told me it was about drugs..

You're thinking of purple haze, aren't you?

Bet you'll be even happier to know they seemed to be targeting tourists/farangs.

That is certainly how it seemed to us.

Maybe because they are the ones acting like complete morons , showing no respect to the "culture" ?

The obscene Farang is sososososo bad he covers his face in the photo but does not cover up his obscene nipples, why isnt that police officer arresting him,,,,oh sorry he has and now he displays this obviously deranged person on the steps of the police station just to show how bad the offnce is.or maybe they are after another 100bt

It addition to breaking the law themselves, this is nothing short of police harrassment. Why don't the police go stop real criminals: drunk drivers, marauding youths on motorcycles brandishing weapons, drug dealers, and the list goes on.

Strange there has been no crackdown on the "night spots." Oh wait!!! Most are owned and/or controlled by certain members society and of course promote traditional Thai culture and values.

Pathetic hypocrites.

Because that would require real police work, something they absolutely refuse to do, on any level. The window dressing, collection crew simply goes around with uniforms to give the appearance of being official.

Let me see if I've got this right. The guy is charged with being "obscene" by merit of not wearing a shirt. Certainly, for any normal-thinking cops, priority would be given to cladding such an offensive sight as quickly as possible, but instead, they choose to give the press a photo op and actually become responsible for spreading this "obscene and offensive" image nationwide. After many years here, I still can't really get my head around Thai logic.

Oxymoron 1509777.GIF

Thank You for making me relive my High School "English" (American) days, I had to look up the definition of 'oxymoron' but I fail to see any of Wikipedia's attempts of explaining what that is, and applying it to Inn Beweens comments..........of course I have had a couple beers and am bored in Central African Republic, please enlighten, enrich me and break it down for me........I am interested and challenging my feeble brain to understand.

wai2.gif

Bet you'll be even happier to know they seemed to be targeting tourists/farangs.

That is certainly how it seemed to us.

Maybe because they are the ones acting like complete morons , showing no respect to the "culture" ?

let me get this straight...........he is showing no respect for the culture?? in my 40+ years of coming to Thailand, bare chested men is the "Culture" so he is actually complimenting it, not disrespecting it. kind of like that "Oxymoron" comment someone made earlier I suppose.rolleyes.gif mfr_closed1.gif

Archived