Topless Farang Fined 100 Baht in Chiang Mai

webfact

Couldn't find the thread but was wondering what "Na.OK" means. I know "Na" is face. Is this something about saving face? It's really cool to waste your brain on the lingo posted here. With all the improper English spelling and grammar on Thaivisa sometimes one wonders whether it is a mistake. Don't get me wrong I love you guys, we're all from the same planet but please don't talk to us like we are supposed to know where you are coming from and what you mean so much of the time. Case in point being the mention of Zoe in Yellow...I know where it is the but in the threads there is mention of Bangkok and Khao San and I wondered whether there was one in Bangkok as well. Someone inquired "where is Zoe?" and they reply was "try google!"...helpful, but not nice. Maybe my post isn't just about "Na.OK"..I guess it just stirred up my frustration with what I know is an extended problem. It won't necessarily change but I am just saying!

Couldn't find the thread but was wondering what "Na.OK" means. I know "Na" is face. Is this something about saving face? It's really cool to waste your brain on the lingo posted here. With all the improper English spelling and grammar on Thaivisa sometimes one wonders whether it is a mistake. Don't get me wrong I love you guys, we're all from the same planet but please don't talk to us like we are supposed to know where you are coming from and what you mean so much of the time. Case in point being the mention of Zoe in Yellow...I know where it is but in the threads there is mention of Bangkok and Khao San and I wondered whether there was one in Bangkok as well. Someone inquired "where is Zoe?" and their reply was "try google!"...helpful, but not nice. Maybe my post isn't just about "Na.OK"..I guess it just stirred up my frustration with what I know is an extended problem. It won't necessarily change but I am just saying!

A friendly hello to WM1. Na ok is breast so my Thai wife says, and because I wrote; "his supposedly offending "Na Ok" were incongruously not blurred. One conclusion; nothing to show" I thought most would get it so I'm sorry to confuse. Its rare to see an occasional Thai word here and a first for me.

"Teets" was used by someone and if that or "Boobs" were substituted, both could confuse several nationalities. Please forgive my transgression. Exposing his "Wah nom" (maybe a lesser used Thai word)is more to the point/s (quote "Nipples") of what the police were charging him for and this Thai word is pretty much self explanatory.

P.S. You taught me a new Thai word "Na" meaning face for which I thank you. That makes about 401 words now.

Happy Friday to you- sincerely.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me see if I've got this right. The guy is charged with being "obscene" by merit of not wearing a shirt. Certainly, for any normal-thinking cops, priority would be given to cladding such an offensive sight as quickly as possible, but instead, they choose to give the press a photo op and actually become responsible for spreading this "obscene and offensive" image nationwide. After many years here, I still can't really get my head around Thai logic.

Oxymoron 1509777.GIF

Thank You for making me relive my High School "English" (American) days, I had to look up the definition of 'oxymoron' but I fail to see any of Wikipedia's attempts of explaining what that is, and applying it to Inn Beweens comments..........of course I have had a couple beers and am bored in Central African Republic, please enlighten, enrich me and break it down for me........I am interested and challenging my feeble brain to understand.

wai2.gif

An oxymoron is usually 2 words that seemingly contradict each other.

"Deafening silence" is an example

Often used in a tongue in cheek manner such as

"Thai logic"

"Clever blonde"

Let me see if I've got this right. The guy is charged with being "obscene" by merit of not wearing a shirt. Certainly, for any normal-thinking cops, priority would be given to cladding such an offensive sight as quickly as possible, but instead, they choose to give the press a photo op and actually become responsible for spreading this "obscene and offensive" image nationwide. After many years here, I still can't really get my head around Thai logic.

Oxymoron 1509777.GIF

Thank You for making me relive my High School "English" (American) days, I had to look up the definition of 'oxymoron' but I fail to see any of Wikipedia's attempts of explaining what that is, and applying it to Inn Beweens comments..........of course I have had a couple beers and am bored in Central African Republic, please enlighten, enrich me and break it down for me........I am interested and challenging my feeble brain to understand.

wai2.gif

"Thai logic"

"Clever blonde"

Military intelligence

Oxymoron 1509777.GIF

wai2.gif

"Thai logic"

"Clever blonde"

And used when a person is a contradiction within themselves, like my boss. Oxymoron; not totally the usual "Moron" slang that is popularly used.

P.S. "common sense" could be added to your list? Its a bit "rare" these days.

Chang Mai has been listed as the province with the most injuries due to accidents most likely caused by drunk driving and then there's this moron walking around looking for men not wearing a shirt.

Simply idiotic. Temperatures over 100 degree, folks walking in wet clothes drenched through their butt crack and police find a shirtless male inappropriately dressed. IMO this should be an embarrassment to Thailand and common sense.

Good, now arrest all those shirtless fat slobs wandering down the streets in Pattaya at any time of the day. And the Burmese, Cambodian and occasional Thai who takes of the shirt during any day of the week.

Before reading that this happened at some opening cerimony where he had been asked to put his shirt on (and refused) I also thought the police had completely lost it.

But, apparently not. He was warned, refused the warning and got his day screwed up. Whole different story if the above is true.

My initial thought was that the policeman approached from the back, saw the long blond hair and thought it was a girl. On finding out he was wrong, refused to backdown (lose face) and wrote the guy up.

But that is the problem when only given selective facts on a story, too many wrong assumptions

Before reading that this happened at some opening cerimony where he had been asked to put his shirt on (and refused) I also thought the police had completely lost it.

But, apparently not. He was warned, refused the warning and got his day screwed up. Whole different story if the above is true.

Plenty of evidence of multiple other people harrassed with no 'opening ceremony' in sight..

Secondly I hardly doubt it was some hi-so bow tie dinner given hes barefoot with water gun in hand.. Probably just some phu yai passed the microphone and people failed to stop and pay him enough attention for his ego so the cops grabbed the nearest one to show power.

Wait till the foreign press get hold of this story/photo! You can drive drunk; have no licence; kill police with your car; get away with murder if you say you're sorry; bribe police, but you can't play bridge or take your shirt off on a hot day. Do Thais ever post mocking messages about the police/laws? Do/can Thai police read these messages?

Plenty of evidence of multiple other people harrassed with no 'opening ceremony' in sight..

Secondly I hardly doubt it was some hi-so bow tie dinner given hes barefoot with water gun in hand.. Probably just some phu yai passed the microphone and people failed to stop and pay him enough attention for his ego so the cops grabbed the nearest one to show power.

Regardless of what the occasion was, the point was that he had allegedly been warned before being fined.

As to multiple other people being harassed, how many other topless males have been fined?

If that was an agenda, they should have come down to Phitsanulok where they would have made a small fortune........................wink.png

Didn't happen down here, at least in the areas i was out and about in.

thailand comes thru again as among the most absurd nations ever . swimmers beware

He should have taken Mr. P's advice and looked like a candy wrapper instead with fresh candy inside. Also, the RTP are on the lookout for any farang women swimmers on the beaches with bikinis. Maybe this includes guys with too revealing speedos as well. Be aware!

Sounds like Malaysia!!

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

haha I think he changed when his hair all fell out !!! What was good for him is not good for others now, and many drug addicted people around back then in the 60's, when Deep Purple were singing, purple rain.. and looks don't say shit about a person anyway.. pretty pathetic..

Don't fink Deep Purple sang Purple Rain........

Maybe you are right,, but someone sang it back about then,, I never understood it as I was a bit younger, but someone told me it was about drugs..

Prince

I don't care about his bare chest. I do think, however, he should have been fined for that profoundly stupid hairstyle and looking like a seedy scumbag. How does one get a hairstyle like that? I mean, other than never going near a brush, a comb, or soap and water, how does one go about achieving the look of a dirtbag? More profoundly, why would anyone choose that look? A very happy day in Laos was when the cops went to Vang Vieng and plowed down all the bars along the river. Far too many seedy folks were coming to Laos to party there and the government had enough of their type. I agreed completely. Party's over scum. Go home, cut your hair and clean yourselves up. Please note, I'm a 60's child and grew up with long hair a la Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. So my issue is not the length of his hair, it's the fact that he looks like a drug addicted homeless Rastafarian.

So when did you change from a 60s child to a judgemental old fuddy duddy?

haha I think he changed when his hair all fell out !!! What was good for him is not good for others now, and many drug addicted people around back then in the 60's, when Deep Purple were singing, purple rain.. and looks don't say shit about a person anyway.. pretty pathetic..

Don't fink Deep Purple sang Purple Rain........

Maybe you are right,, but someone sang it back about then,, I never understood it as I was a bit younger, but someone told me it was about drugs..

You're thinking of purple haze, aren't you?

Jimi Hendrix

With a body like that at his age you'd have thought he'd have wanted to cover it up. cheesy.gif

Jesus wept, what a specimen. I've seen a better pair of legs sticking out of the bottom of an iron lung.

I wish I had a body like that.... Best to be Slim for sure.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if the police feel Jimmy's bare chest is obscene enough to warrant a fine, why have they 1) not covered him up to avoid offending onlookers and 2) allowed an "obscene" photo to be taken, published and distributed via the internet.

Shouldn't the RTP themselves now be charged with promoting obscenity and distribution of lewd material under the Computer Crimes Act.

The law should work both ways.

clap2.gif Spot On !

As said before...the police are a bunch of uneducated dudes, who will find any reason to fine foreigners..... the point of posting obsene pictures in their highly ethical code shows their understanding of obscene in the first place.... they love getting recognised for things they are just supposed to do.... probably earned himself a brownie point in his book of good deeds. Double stands... blind to their own kind...Mapan rei...Khrap....

Archived