A caring place for dogs like a dog shelter?

fanof3d

In the states, we have shelters or places for missing or unwanted pets in hope that they will find new homes.

Is there such a place in CR? We have 2 dogs and are helping care for sister n' laws baby. Just don't

want them around. Constant barking and just filth really. We could bathe them every day and they'd stil

end up filthy.

We've blocked them off from the main area but we'd rather find them a new home if possible. I've been

looking for weeks and haven't found anything so if anyone knows of such a place, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We've thought about but most people in the near vicinity are older and probably couldn't care for them properly so we've been hesitant. Your probably right though in terms of not having such a place her. Unfortunate given the huge population of strays here and that's of both dogs and cats although I definitely see more dogs. Thanks for your reply.

We have all of our animals neutered but that is not the norm in our village. Comparing our cats and dogs to the other local animals you would never guess they come from the same gene pool. Most animals seem sort lived and succumb to disease or accident but not before breeding once or twice. People seem to have other priorities, and though things are changing, it will take another generation or two before we see any real focus on animal welfare, in my opinion.

Cats%2Band%2BDog%2B-%2B1.jpg

Cat%2Band%2BDog%2B-%2B6.jpg

villagefarang

Awesome Photos! Thanks for the suggestions guy's but I'm not hauling these 2 rugrats to bkk but I'm pretty sure that would do the trick, lol.

I also am very skeptical about dropping off at our local temple. Never have seen that done before nor do I ever see ugly mutts running around there. Don't

think that's an option.

Looks like we may be stuck with them :-(. Just hate them being around the little one. One of them jumps the enclosement I've built and they both bark at

the dumbest crap which wakes up the little one of course. I'd pay someone to take them honestly but I don't want them to become strays or anything.

It's likely they wouldn't make it.

Thanks for all the feedback and great photos!

There is a dog shelter just outside Chiang Mai, which I do realise I the best part of a three hour drivefrom you. It depends on how far you would want to travel. The name of the shelter is Care For Dogs. They have a website with all their contact information on.

We have all of our animals neutered but that is not the norm in our village. Comparing our cats and dogs to the other local animals you would never guess they come from the same gene pool. Most animals seem sort lived and succumb to disease or accident but not before breeding once or twice. People seem to have other priorities, and though things are changing, it will take another generation or two before we see any real focus on animal welfare, in my opinion.

Melted my heart that those photos.

Fantastic.

please don't dump animals at local temples thinking the monks will take care of them. most of the time the monks aren't able
to properly do so, and they often end up poisoned by locals who don't like dogs or for going after chickens. it's not helpful or

responsible. if you give the dogs some attention and training.. take them for a walk to tire them out.. give them some toys to

play with, things to keep them occupied rather than barking for no reason. tell them no, if they have undesirable behavior.

dogs have needs, like children have needs. they need attention, food, shelter, boundaries and exercise. also.. kids raised

with animals have healthier immune systems, less asthma and fewer allergies. good luck.

Sadly Thailand is not an animal loving nation. My 2 dogs have a life of luxury like villagefarang`s dogs and cats, but it`s a different story for the dogs living around us. I try to turn a blind eye to them because I can`t help much and it`s upsetting.

In Thailand casting out dogs and cats away from the home is really sending them to hell, a death sentence in fact, unless very fortunate to find an alternative loving, caring home that are few and far between in this country.

I beg the OP to please think carefully before doing anything drastic and place the dogs best interests first.

Have some tissues handy when watching this video, even the guys.

In the states, we have shelters or places for missing or unwanted pets in hope that they will find new homes.

Is there such a place in CR? We have 2 dogs and are helping care for sister n' laws baby. Just don't

want them around. Constant barking and just filth really. We could bathe them every day and they'd stil

end up filthy.

We've blocked them off from the main area but we'd rather find them a new home if possible. I've been

looking for weeks and haven't found anything so if anyone knows of such a place, it would be appreciated.

No shelters here in the countryside which are a real option!

Be happy with the 2 dogs, give them some attention not only food.

The barking could be to get your attention, play with them a bit, take a walk, where it is secure,

or on a leash.

Filthy? Dogs are not so clean then most cats, but that should be no reason to give them away.

Please give them a chance.

I live in the middle of a small village with a road, not much traffic but enough in front of me

and the dogs I take care from my GF's family are therefore in constant danger of ending as a road kill.

At least the young and new arrivals.

Also I have a deadly virus here which killed many dogs in the years, special the young in days.

Otherwise you could bring them to me, but I am to far anyway. Udon Thani-Sakhon Nakhon. tongue.png

Because your dogs are dirty and barking you want to get rid of them?!!!

If they are outside dogs it does not matter if they are dirty.

If they are barking find out what that are barking for and change it. Dogs that bark all the time are unhappy with something.. maybe because you have them penned up 24/7?

In the states you have shelters that are full of dog and most of destroyed... this is because there are so many people like you who just get bored with the dogs and treat them like throw away items.. not living things.

How hard is it really to take care of 2 outdoor dogs? Just give them food, water and space to run about.

This kind of thing.. and the advise about dumping them at a temple make me mad.

If you really can't be bothered with them you should wash them.. take a few photos and advertise them around your area.. in the shops, on Facebook and on Thai Vias as needing a new home.

My God - as an owner of 6 rescue dogs I was horrified to read this post. My dogs are all neutered, regularly bathed, live my house & sleep on chairs, sofas or where they choose. They all get Frontline monthly - no fleas or ticks & are great family members. And no I don't live in a shack I have a very nice well cared for house. It takes a fair amount of work I will admit, but if you treat them like garbage what do you expect. Man up & do the right thing. Find them a good home. And if you can't do the right thing & look after them properly!

@jak2002003 Learn to read man. We have a newborn on the scene. The dogs are aren't something we want around any longer. You might

not agree with it but it's that simple. I've put up barriers but they just jump over. Anyway, would never take advice from someone who can't read and comprehend

the main issue, none of which were that they were filthy and barking..... those were simply facts that we didn't really care about until we

agreed to help our sister n' law with care taking of her newborn so she could work.

Thanks everyone else for your feedback. We'll keep them for now as there doesn't seem to be a viable and protective way to give them

up. We aren't against dogs obviously, just care more about the newborn than the dogs. I know there are people out there that care more

about their pets versus humans but we aren't in that group. Plus we're in Chiang Rai, not Phuket or Bkk.

I'll see if the wife is up for a road trip but I doubt it. I think what I'll do is clear some room and buy a large contained fenced area. I've checked locally and found someone that builds these.
I do wish CR had a licensed foundation. I'd definitely contribute financially and I think there would be enough support city wide to sustain it but as someone else mentioned CR just isn't there yet.

We have a newborn on the scene.

Hmm,

I live in a small village in the countryside in Udon Thani province, since 1998,

I have 4 own children growing up here, from 1,5 - 14 y. young

and me or my Thai family had always dogs, always a bunch of it.

Houses have here nearly no fences,

many houses have dogs,

many houses have small children and Babies

and many of these families with Babies, have dogs,

even keep the Babies in oscillating cradles under their houses - mostly where dogs can access too

and all works well rolleyes.gif usually.

Young and even older dogs learn fast, a strong shouted command to stay away, =BY!!!=

and they learn to stay away!

Your dogs must be special problem dogs?blink.png Otherwise? whistling.gif

You do not know how to connect and interact with dogs,sad.png

Or are you making a problem where no problem is?

Just curious.

Maybe need the Dog whisperer

@alfredo. Thanks for your idiotic response. "Making a problem when there is none".... who are you to assume if there is a problem or not, lol?

You must be extremely bored and wanting to share something about your life, family and how you view the dog situation in your UT village. I

could care less. "even keep the Babies in oscillating cradles under their houses" Are you okay man?

If you don't understand what personal preference means then you'd never really add anything of value to a conversation

where one is simply seeking advice.

It was really that simple buddy but thank you for the time spent talking to be about babies, dogs and your UT Village after I've already mentioned
what I am doing about the situation...... move along now.... Here's a topic, you can hang your hat on and enjoy for a while coffee1.gif

@alfredo. Thanks for your idiotic response. "Making a problem when there is none".... who are you to assume if there is a problem or not, lol?

You must be extremely bored and wanting to share something about your life, family and how you view the dog situation in your UT village. I

could care less. "even keep the Babies in oscillating cradles under their houses" Are you okay man?

If you don't understand what personal preference means then you'd never really add anything of value to a conversation

where one is simply seeking advice.

It was really that simple buddy but thank you for the time spent talking to be about babies, dogs and your UT Village after I've already mentioned

what I am doing about the situation...... move along now.... Here's a topic, you can hang your hat on and enjoy for a while coffee1.gif

Maybe "Hammock" is a better name, where Thais keep their Babies and young children. tongue.png

From your writing, I believe you are an old fart and a old grouch. lol

I think that fits you. At 2:45 the fitting dog part. wink.png

Thank you for sharing the nice photographs

@alfredo

Your off your rocker. This is a forum where OP's are searching for advice. You offered ZERO. Instead you pulled out your soap box and had fun. I didn't care for it, that simple.

No hard feelings but don't respond to any of my posts unless you have something of value to offer in the way of helping your fellow farang solve a challenge or problem. Keep your soap box speeches for someone else buddy or hell go start a blog. You'd probably be the only one talking but you never know. :-).

No hard feelings but

-fanof3d- you making a problem where no problem is, because -

You do not know how to connect and interact with dogs, blink.png

Sorry that, better take some turtles as pets, more easy for you, maybe. coffee1.gif

Back to fanof3d's dilemma...

I understand how difficult this is and sad to read so many judgemental and unhelpful posts.

I have had experience with an electric collar that will give the dog a small shock when it barks. It was honestly not a stock fence style zap. After a week you'll probably leave the collar fitted but won't need to switch it on. They are available online for under 3000 baht. Underground perimeter fencing with a similar collar is available but may be too much cost and effort. Fair enough.

The ethics are up to you regarding electric shock collars. Sounds better than the alternative to me.

The cleanliness has to be up to you but... have you ever seen how soundly a flea infested dog sleeps after a surviving the terrors and indignity of a good tub?

I hope you are able to continue to give the dogs a home.

Archived