Don't Climb Here! Foreigners fined for scaling wall in Chiang Mai

webfact

They can read the signs and hear the warnings but being of the "me" generation these are ignored in doing what they want regardless. As a member of a much older generation I must accept some responsibility for this. We gave them freedoms that we never had but not the sense of responsibility to use these freedoms with regard to others.

True...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When visiting a Foreign country people should be respectful of local traditions .People seem obsessed with getting 'photos to post on social media .On a recent visit to Anchor Wat it was upsetting to see young and old tourists climbing the ancient monuments. .Some had even carved their names in the ancient stone . People should respect the heritage of ancient sites when welcomed as visitors in a foreign country.

I love Roomuks posts. I used to think he believed the stuff he was posting but now I see he is just winding us all up. The youth of the world are always pushing the envelope and generally a pain n the a*se, at times their arrogance is really irritating. However I think many of us have selective memory when we get on our high horse, I am sure I was just as annoying at that age too.

Some of these structures were built about the same time your ancestors were painting themselves with woad. They are fragile, so if everyone did as they pleased nothing would be left of them in short order.

I recommend a trip to Halong Bay in Vietnam if you want to see the damage excessive tourism can do.

Fairly obvious from your comments who is clueless.

I suppose The Great Wall of China is such a fragile and old thing? No? Why, I wonder...

And these kind of places need constant care and renovating to attract tourists and keep toruism economy floating but here in LOS the answer is always the same sounding: Mai pen rai!

There is a big difference keeping tourists happy and letting them destroy things. You might not acknowledge such separation but I can.

Regarding my knowledge on the matters, I do have an MA (Master of Arts) and rather deep knowledge about many things on the field of culture. I see no harm done here. Not even worth the 500 Baht. When there are no well-kept attractions but mere ruins - holy or whatever - these kind of acts happen. Did it somehow become clear to anyone why these brisks are holier than similar bricks elsewhere? i have never heard of city wall that was holy. Maybe the first.

Ah, the old appeal to prestige, none of which is verifiable.

For a person with an MA, you certainly could use a spellchecker, and your choice of grammar does not give me any confidence in your claim. Or did your MA come out of a cereal box?

When visiting a Foreign country people should be respectful of local traditions .People seem obsessed with getting 'photos to post on social media .On a recent visit to Anchor Wat it was upsetting to see young and old tourists climbing the ancient monuments. .Some had even carved their names in the ancient stone . People should respect the heritage of ancient sites when welcomed as visitors in a foreign country.

The Chinese even scrawl their names into their own Great Wall of China. They have little respect for their own monuments. Presumably they do not see the point of respecting other people's.

Well to get a fine of 500 bath is just to laugh!

Fine people so it HURTS; the way to learn to respect signgs, warnings and the enforcement of law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about the national park rule for farangs,fine 10 times the Thai fine.I know farangs that speed because they can,200 baht in with the license,ready to pay.2000 baht for these DH.

Farangness.

Probably brought up in an environment where Mum never said no.

Dad probably left the family years ago and dodges all responsibilities.

The western diet also could be to blame for their farang moronic mentality.

Along with the Thai education system where they are educated in Thainess believing they are superior.

And the extreme vanity they display wanting to post their idiocy on social media.

They show no respect to others, all about me, me, me.

Fine them, jail them and then deport them.

A big difference between here and Farangland is a lack of graffiti and mindless vandalism against public property, Thais kids are much more sensible and have a greater respect for the community.

Smart people these Thais.

............I would say your first 2 points and 3rd points apply even more to Thais!...Note my change of farangness to Thainess above. Their diet is going the same way too.

From Sweden? Adrian Moody and Robin Haye sound more like Brits to me. Their behaviour too would seem more Brit than that of orderly Swedes.

Are you familiar with the words racist, bigot, stereotype and the concept of incorrect generalizations based on zero facts? Probably not.

Those names could easily be of Australians, Kiwis, Canadians, Americans; and the young lady could be Italian or other Southern European.

But of course, you've studied levels of similar behavior in countries around the world in order to reach your informed conclusion? Or just speaking out your backside in a rare moment off the bar stool?

Confiscate their selfie hardware. They can pick it up on departure day.

No - sell it, give the proceeds to some charity, and make departure day today. They were told "don't do it", there are signs saying "don't do it", but they carry on regardless - total disregard of Thai culture, and lack of respect for anybody. Their "hardware" is well named!

What is this about "shirtless", does that only apply to Farangs ? Have not been to Chiang Mai lately, but every where else I go I see Thai men shirtless and also stop anywhere whip out their hardwear and urinate on the side of the road against a tree or just into the air !!

Many farangs when they come to Thailand lose it.

Climb walls after being told not to.

Go about Chiang mai shirtless.

WHAT NEXT?

Time to issue the BIB with Tasers. Would be a lot more fun than giving out 500 Baht fines.

They already have real guns, they should have just shot him dead there and then, no need to mess about with tasers.....................

The may have been trying to escape price gouging from restaurants and bars there...

The grass was greener on the other side...

Practicing in order scale the Great Wall of Mexico that Donald Trump will build...

You can find a ton of info online or books on the whys and rise of the idiot/me generation and how it was their parents fault blah blah blah.. bottom line is we're all born with a clean slate and we become what we are due to the environment we grow up in and to a degree how we wish to be.... personally I am appalled at the incident in question but it isn't the first and it won't be the last...... respect for a countries laws, ideals, faith etc..... when you are in that country should not even come in to question it should be a given.... there is no doubt in my mind that the rise of social media has not only accelerated this type of behaviour but encouraged it......that ole Andy Warhol quote from the late 60's "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes" seems to have been usurped by everyone wants their 1 minute of fame!!!

I witnessed the men upon the walls yesterday;it left me feeling embarrassed to be a faring in Thailand. It is satisfying that they were apprehended. They should be grateful they were treated so leniently

They can read the signs and hear the warnings but being of the "me" generation these are ignored in doing what they want regardless. As a member of a much older generation I must accept some responsibility for this. We gave them freedoms that we never had but not the sense of responsibility to use these freedoms with regard to others.

Nice to read someone (parent?) admitting to the fallout of these...Yahoos...It's not all your fault ...media and Hollyweird played big roles on these types...

They should be kept in the police lockup overnight for ignoring the police warnings.

Can't they read the signs?

They have a YouTube channel so seem to care more for their views than obeying laws and respecting historical monuments.

Do you have a link ? I would love to see their stupid videos .

Well to get a fine of 500 bath is just to laugh!

Fine people so it HURTS; the way to learn to respect signgs, warnings and the enforcement of law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this only apply to tourists or also to Thais? Ex army perhaps? tongue.png

So,it would appear then,that disgracing a sacred Buddhist site is only worth 10 Quid.To some idiots,its worth the tenner just to get a selfie.Some people,some country,some religion,some justice.Ha!

It is a ten year old wall with steps up to the top, there is nothing Religious about it

Archived