Don't Climb Here! Foreigners fined for scaling wall in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Victim: Sacred wall of bricks.

I must laugh. Seems most TV members are clueless <deleted> that have never done anything fun and naughty.

In China - I have heard - they have this wall made out of bricks...

Why BTW most of the Thai monuments are like this? More or less of piles of nothing? They could be renovated to the level that tourist would like to take selfies. You know, tourism and all...

Some of these structures were built about the same time your ancestors were painting themselves with woad. They are fragile, so if everyone did as they pleased nothing would be left of them in short order.

I recommend a trip to Halong Bay in Vietnam if you want to see the damage excessive tourism can do.

Fairly obvious from your comments who is clueless.

You are clueless! Tapae Gate was rebuilt about 20 - 30 years ago, and the original Chiangmai walls date back about 400 years only.

The guys using woad date back 2,000 years ago when the Romans first invaded England.

Victim: Sacred wall of bricks.

I must laugh. Seems most TV members are clueless <deleted> that have never done anything fun and naughty.

In China - I have heard - they have this wall made out of bricks...

Why BTW most of the Thai monuments are like this? More or less of piles of nothing? They could be renovated to the level that tourist would like to take selfies. You know, tourism and all...

Some of these structures were built about the same time your ancestors were painting themselves with woad. They are fragile, so if everyone did as they pleased nothing would be left of them in short order.

I recommend a trip to Halong Bay in Vietnam if you want to see the damage excessive tourism can do.

Fairly obvious from your comments who is clueless.

You are clueless! Tapae Gate was rebuilt about 20 - 30 years ago, and the original Chiangmai walls date back about 400 years only.

The guys using woad date back 2,000 years ago when the Romans first invaded England.

Nice 1 ! Finally a post that makes sense...

Many years ago I was in Bangkok when a German family arrived, checked into their

hotel, then went to the Temple area near the Grande Palace. They seen a big

Chinese style Buddha statue. The Father went to a guard, and gave him the camera,

asking the guard to take their picture. To the guard's surprise, they all climbed onto

the statue. The guard took a few pictures, then more guards showed up and the

family was arrested. Near the statue there was a large sign, that in many languages

including German, said "Do Not Climb On This Statue." The family spent the night

in jail, then took to court the next day. Charged for their trespass on the statue.

They were then taken to the airport with their luggage and made to get onto a

flight back to Germany. This story was published in the Bangkok Post as a front page story.

Not the way to enjoy your vacation in Thailand. People should at least read a little

bit about Thailand, and always read the signs before doing something STUPID.

Geezer.

To be fair, they probably thought it was a building site. In a country with little in the way of historical or architectural wonders, one has to take what one can get.

Where you come from people climb around on building sites? Doesn't matter anyway; there were signs and they were given verbal warnings not to do climb on the wall.

They should be kept in the police lockup overnight for ignoring the police warnings.

Can't they read the signs?

Are the signs multi-lingual?

A 500 baht fine? Are you joking? How about a choice of 24 hours community service or 24 hours in jail? That maybe more meaningful and perhaps a salutory warning to others?

Well to get a fine of 500 bath is just to laugh!

Well let's be fair.

1000b fine for knocking down and killing two RTW cyclists.

500b fine for stabbing a 70 year old because he brushed past you in the street.

I don't think that climbing this wall is a worse offence and deserves harsher punishment.

Many farangs when they come to Thailand lose it.

Climb walls after being told not to.

Go about Chiang mai shirtless.

WHAT NEXT?

Why else come to Thailand? This used to be the "anything goes" destination.

Then do so in countries like Rwanda, Somalia or Venezuela. Currently the "anything goes" destinations.

Many farangs when they come to Thailand lose it.

Climb walls after being told not to.

Go about Chiang mai shirtless.

WHAT NEXT?

Why else come to Thailand? This used to be the "anything goes" destination.

Then do so in countries like Rwanda, Somalia or Venezuela. Currently the "anything goes" destinations.

Yeah? How's the go-go scene in Mogadishu these days?

Archived