BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Don't Climb Here! Foreigners fined for scaling wall in Chiang Mai

So, thats six months in jail, a 5000 Baht fine, his camera confiscated and deportation ?

I just hope that none of you are Judges

Time to issue the BIB with Tasers. Would be a lot more fun than giving out 500 Baht fines.

Time to issue the BIB with Tasers. Would be a lot more fun than giving out 500 Baht fines.

They already have real guns, they should have just shot him dead there and then, no need to mess about with tasers.....................

The may have been trying to escape price gouging from restaurants and bars there...

The grass was greener on the other side...

Practicing in order scale the Great Wall of Mexico that Donald Trump will build...

You can find a ton of info online or books on the whys and rise of the idiot/me generation and how it was their parents fault blah blah blah.. bottom line is we're all born with a clean slate and we become what we are due to the environment we grow up in and to a degree how we wish to be.... personally I am appalled at the incident in question but it isn't the first and it won't be the last...... respect for a countries laws, ideals, faith etc..... when you are in that country should not even come in to question it should be a given.... there is no doubt in my mind that the rise of social media has not only accelerated this type of behaviour but encouraged it......that ole Andy Warhol quote from the late 60's "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes" seems to have been usurped by everyone wants their 1 minute of fame!!!

I witnessed the men upon the walls yesterday;it left me feeling embarrassed to be a faring in Thailand. It is satisfying that they were apprehended. They should be grateful they were treated so leniently

If you look at the photo, there are steps up to where he was , and he just tried to get over the metal barrier and there are no signs there saying not to climb the wall

They can read the signs and hear the warnings but being of the "me" generation these are ignored in doing what they want regardless. As a member of a much older generation I must accept some responsibility for this. We gave them freedoms that we never had but not the sense of responsibility to use these freedoms with regard to others.

Nice to read someone (parent?) admitting to the fallout of these...Yahoos...It's not all your fault ...media and Hollyweird played big roles on these types...

They should be kept in the police lockup overnight for ignoring the police warnings.

Can't they read the signs?

They have a YouTube channel so seem to care more for their views than obeying laws and respecting historical monuments.

Do you have a link ? I would love to see their stupid videos .

Well to get a fine of 500 bath is just to laugh!

Fine people so it HURTS; the way to learn to respect signgs, warnings and the enforcement of law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this only apply to tourists or also to Thais? Ex army perhaps? tongue.png

So,it would appear then,that disgracing a sacred Buddhist site is only worth 10 Quid.To some idiots,its worth the tenner just to get a selfie.Some people,some country,some religion,some justice.Ha!

So,it would appear then,that disgracing a sacred Buddhist site is only worth 10 Quid.To some idiots,its worth the tenner just to get a selfie.Some people,some country,some religion,some justice.Ha!

It is a ten year old wall with steps up to the top, there is nothing Religious about it

Given the maintenance levels here, it's not safe to climb any wall. The new masters from the North should be able to build one that can take pedestrians and deter invading barbarians.