5 months in nang rong

williamgeorgeallen

hi all. myself, my 2 pre school kids and their thai mum are heading up to nang rong for 5 months. we live in pattaya but i want the kids to spend some time with their grand parents before we relocate back to new zealand in a couple years. i sold my house in pattaya and am waiting for my condos to be finished so seemed like a good time to do it. we normally only do a few days a year up there so this is going to be a long stint. i have done a search on nang rong but can not find anything recent. any other expats living there, maybe an expat bar someone can recommend?

Not a lot to do I'm afraid, no expat bars but I often see a couple of farangs sitting outside the general dealers store beside the bus station. Theres a swimming pool you can use at Puri Phanomrung Hotel for the kids and it's only a short trip into Buriram where theres now a cinema in the Robinsons complex. Nang Rongs a nice place now you don't need the expat bars just enjoy the local flavour.

There's the Sabay restaurant. A place where some of the expats meet.

Turn left at the traffic light when going from Nangrong to Korat (2 km from the city center). After 1 km on the right side you see a place called Zulian. Next to it is the restaurant. There's a nice (small) menu with Farang food (try he Chef's salad) with good service.

If I were you, I'd go to a city nearby with more amenities for your family but in a reasonable distance to visit the 'out-laws' in Nang Wrong.

kids mum has a nice house just outside a few km outside of nang rong courtesy of her italian ex husband. idea is for the grandparents to get some time with the kids.

Not a lot to do I'm afraid, no expat bars but I often see a couple of farangs sitting outside the general dealers store beside the bus station. Theres a swimming pool you can use at Puri Phanomrung Hotel for the kids and it's only a short trip into Buriram where theres now a cinema in the Robinsons complex. Nang Rongs a nice place now you don't need the expat bars just enjoy the local flavour.

that hotel looks great if we can use the pool. how much do they charge to go for a swim if we are not actually staying there?

There's the Sabay restaurant. A place where some of the expats meet.

Turn left at the traffic light when going from Nangrong to Korat (2 km from the city center). After 1 km on the right side you see a place called Zulian. Next to it is the restaurant. There's a nice (small) menu with Farang food (try he Chef's salad) with good service.

Well described.

Found it after a short virtual trip smile.png

Host (?) working on the sign, dog sleeping biggrin.png

https://goo.gl/maps/aJNQSWUVNEp

If I were you, I'd go to a city nearby with more amenities for your family but in a reasonable distance to visit the 'out-laws' in Nang Wrong.

kids mum has a nice house just outside a few km outside of nang rong courtesy of her italian ex husband. idea is for the grandparents to get some time with the kids.

Was it the Italian who went to Malta to book a hotel room?

that hotel looks great if we can use the pool. how much do they charge to go for a swim if we are not actually staying there?

Used to be 200 baht in the high season I've never used it before but been to the hotel a few times when friends have been visiting and you've always got KFC just down the road.

Used to be 200 baht in the high season I've never used it before but been to the hotel a few times when friends have been visiting and you've always got KFC just down the road.
Best place for it too!

Was it the Italian who went to Malta to book a hotel room?

You've lost me too with that comment, Captain!

Explain.

There's a place called Pob Sook in Nang Rong on the 24 at the bus station end. That used to be a falang meeting place....not sure about it now.....haven't been for a long time. There are some good eating places on the 2073 heading to Cham Ni and a music club on the edge of a lake on the left hand side of the road. Come to Nookies @ Sakut on Sunday afternoons....sometimes 20+ falangs there.

There's a place called Pob Sook in Nang Rong on the 24 at the bus station end. That used to be a falang meeting place....not sure about it now.....haven't been for a long time. There are some good eating places on the 2073 heading to Cham Ni and a music club on the edge of a lake on the left hand side of the road. Come to Nookies @ Sakut on Sunday afternoons....sometimes 20+ falangs there.

that sounds really promising and i will check it out early may when i get there.

like i said we have been going there once a year for a few years now so i know what i am getting into.

really appreciate all the advice. i have been on thai visa and so much of it seems to be very negative. it is good to see some good positive information. i am sure this was the idea behind this site when it was set up.

Thanks. I will make sure to go on a weekday then. wink.png

Well worth a visit to stock up on his western food though.licklips.gif

Nothing wrong with the swimming pool on the left, 1-2km out, as you head out to Lahan Sai. As for the recommendation for 'NR Beach', I'd give that a miss mate. I wouldn't let my dog go in that water let alone kids.

Nothing wrong with the swimming pool on the left, 1-2km out, as you head out to Lahan Sai. As for the recommendation for 'NR Beach', I'd give that a miss mate. I wouldn't let my dog go in that water let alone kids.

disappointing to hear. had my hopes up a little high on that one. fresh water was a bit of a long shot. i might still get a canoe to paddle around. how much does it cost for that swimming pool? my son would swim every day if he could and my daughter will start soon too.

Archived