5 months in nang rong

williamgeorgeallen

Nang Rong is a thriving city,

cheesyrdn2.gifcheesyrdn2.gifcheesyrdn2.gif

Come to Nookies @ Sakut on Sunday afternoons....sometimes 20+ falangs there.

Each to their own. icon_smile.gif

i go to nang rong for a few days every year and it does seem like a thriving busy thai city. i am trying to give my kids a bit of a balanced up bringing so that they see some of thailand and some new zealand with them being half thai and half kiwi. i would prefer if their thailand part of their upbringing is not just pattaya. dont get me wrong i love pattaya (well jomtien any way) and would only in jomtien if it was not for the kids.

Nothing wrong with the swimming pool on the left, 1-2km out, as you head out to Lahan Sai. As for the recommendation for 'NR Beach', I'd give that a miss mate. I wouldn't let my dog go in that water let alone kids.

disappointing to hear. had my hopes up a little high on that one. fresh water was a bit of a long shot. i might still get a canoe to paddle around. how much does it cost for that swimming pool? my son would swim every day if he could and my daughter will start soon too.

The water we are discussing is static water so one can assume it contains algae, bacteria, or microscopic organisms that you could consume if swallowed. Plus you're facing catching Weil's disease from rats urine.

i might still get a canoe to paddle around

Good luck with that as I've never seen them on the lake/dam.

i go to nang rong for a few days every year and it does seem like a thriving busy thai city.

NR is not a city I'm afraid. A rural town yes. Nang Rong (Thai: นางรอง) is a town (Thesaban Mueang) of Buriram Province, north-eastern Thailand.

Nothing wrong with the swimming pool on the left, 1-2km out, as you head out to Lahan Sai. As for the recommendation for 'NR Beach', I'd give that a miss mate. I wouldn't let my dog go in that water let alone kids.

disappointing to hear. had my hopes up a little high on that one. fresh water was a bit of a long shot. i might still get a canoe to paddle around. how much does it cost for that swimming pool? my son would swim every day if he could and my daughter will start soon too.

The water we are discussing is static water so one can assume it contains algae, bacteria, or microscopic organisms that you could consume if swallowed. Plus you're facing catching Weil's disease from rats urine.

url].

What no leeches? That's a relief !

Thanks Dilligad. I forgot, leeches

i go to nang rong for a few days every year and it does seem like a thriving busy thai city.

NR is not a city I'm afraid. A rural town yes. Nang Rong (Thai: นางรอง) is a town (Thesaban Mueang) of Buriram Province, north-eastern Thailand.

ok, well i am a kiwi. to me 50 000 people seems like a city

ok, well i am a kiwi. to me 50 000 people seems like a city

To some, that's a street!

Lam Nang Rong is very nice.I was there last week. Nice and clean. Not sure if it is the same one as mentioned here though. It is locally known as Nang Rong Beach but actually nearer to Pakam.

puchooay, on 22 Apr 2016 - 10:15, said:
williamgeorgeallen, on 21 Apr 2016 - 11:44, said:
sinbin, on 21 Apr 2016 - 10:36, said:

Lam Nang Rong is very nice.I was there last week. Nice and clean. Not sure if it is the same one as mentioned here though. It is locally known as Nang Rong Beach but actually nearer to Pakam.

It is the same one. It's next to Non Din Daeng. Did you notice the pipes leading from the public toilets into the water?

It is the same one. It's next to Non Din Daeng. Did you notice the pipes leading from the public toilets into the water?

Comments like this are useless without photographic evidence, Sinbin. Otherwise it's all just pie in the sky.

If I were you, I'd go to a city nearby with more amenities for your family but in a reasonable distance to visit the 'out-laws' in Nang Wrong.

kids mum has a nice house just outside a few km outside of nang rong courtesy of her italian ex husband. idea is for the grandparents to get some time with the kids.

Was it the Italian who went to Malta to book a hotel room?

You've lost me too with that comment, Captain!

Explain.

Dear Obersturmbandfuehrer,

How could I ever lose you? BTW, I'm going for an Admiral, once I've graduated Kindergarten in Thailand. You're wrong and not nang rong.

For the Italian, please see:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8IZjNeE8M

Comments like this are useless without photographic evidence, Sinbin. Otherwise it's all just pie in the sky.

Quite right. You wouldn't want to make a mistake and get caught with your pants down.

• 2 weeks later...

arrived a few days ago. rained the day i arrived for the first time in many weeks so hopefully the natives saw this as a positive sign of my arrival. water is limited so we are looking at getting a well dug, unfortunately many others are doing the same so the water table may now be very deep. have my son booked into the local catholic school as it seems to have good facilities. plan on doing an excursion to nang rong beach this week and go to nookies restaurant on sunday.

went there yesterday. 3 good reviews on trip advisor. is a great place and we all had a great day out.

^ 6 million people in Isaan infected with liver cancer. Cause of the cancer is a fluke that lives in fresh water that is then consumed either by drinking or eating. They don't tell you that on Trip Advisor reviews. As I said before 'Nang Rong Beach' is not a place I'd let my dog swim in let alone my kids. Each to their own.

_83561090_liver_flukes_eggs-1130697.jpg

Part of the education campaign focuses on getting people to use proper toilets, and not defecate in the lake, which reduces the number of fluke eggs.

As said before the poo from the toilets at the 'beach' empty into the lake.

Know nothing about Nang Rong BUT keep the kids out of "Fresh" Water, As for liver cancer I caught schismotosiasis aka bilharzia in a klong in Chiang Mai. An infection I am assured by the most eminent Thai doctors can not be caught in Thailand. Thank you to School of Tropical Hygiene in London for the correction!

^ 6 million people in Isaan infected with liver cancer. Cause of the cancer is a fluke that lives in fresh water that is then consumed either by drinking or eating. They don't tell you that on Trip Advisor reviews. As I said before 'Nang Rong Beach' is not a place I'd let my dog swim in let alone my kids. Each to their own.

_83561090_liver_flukes_eggs-1130697.jpg

Part of the education campaign focuses on getting people to use proper toilets, and not defecate in the lake, which reduces the number of fluke eggs.

As said before the poo from the toilets at the 'beach' empty into the lake.

Mmm that slightly contradicts post # 43 then!

after some second thoughts on swimming in fresh water in thailand we went looking for swimming pools today. found a pretty good one behind the big green hardware shop on the 348 just out of town. bit run down but smelt like there was plenty of chlorine being used and had 2 filters running. my son had a great time and i was happy to cool down. 100thb for both of us. also found out today that there is a big market in town so we went there and i was impressed with all the cheap food and drinks. my son loved the bouncy castle. think i will last 5 months here ok.

Archived