'Drone' hits British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport

webfact

Maybe I'm too much from the old school and not in line with modern thinking but anyone flying a drone that would endanger an aircraft should be charged with attempted murder of the number of passengers and set to high security jail for at least 30 years.

Hope we don't have to wait for some kid trying to impress his friends bringing down a jumbo before this matter is treated really seriously.

sad.png

On the understanding, or perhaps even ability to prove.. There was malice of forethought..

If there was a loss of control, a flyaway, a comms link error.. The list goes on.. It becomes negligence or accidental.

I'm sure the family and friends of the hundreds burned and killed and maimed for life will be very understanding.

One can only hope that some flaming part the downed plane crashes and destroys the house of the poor misunderstood person who didn't really understand what he was doing.

sad.png

Maybe I'm too much from the old school and not in line with modern thinking but anyone flying a drone that would endanger an aircraft should be charged with attempted murder of the number of passengers and set to high security jail for at least 30 years.

Hope we don't have to wait for some kid trying to impress his friends bringing down a jumbo before this matter is treated really seriously.

sad.png

On the understanding, or perhaps even ability to prove.. There was malice of forethought..

If there was a loss of control, a flyaway, a comms link error.. The list goes on.. It becomes negligence or accidental.

He/she should not have been flying a drone near an airport or above 400'. It's illegal. The former can get you locked up for 5 years.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Flying a drone at above 400ft is not illegal in the UK, just a recommendation from the CAA, called the drone code but people who do fly in breach of this code could easily find themselves charged with endangering an aircraft, penalty up to five year imprisonment.

Problem is small cheap drones have no GPS or altitude sensing on board so can easily exceed 400ft, and the person in control probably has no idea of distance anyway, also another risk is military aircraft flying as low as 250ft (fixed wing) or even 100ft (rotary).

My views are that there should be international standards/classifications for drones and model aircraft, then manufactures could make to comply with a category, say lowest category was up to 100g of which no more than 50g could be dense material, the transmitter rang should be no more the 100m line of sight and battery life no more than five mins, next category would be larger but would need some form of altitude limiting, and so on, idea being each country could have its own laws but anyone buying one could be reasonably sure the one they buy will comply with that category even if bought from abroad.

Ban Drones for private purpose. It's that easy.

Like it or not they are here to stay, and you may well ban them in many countries but you will not get rid of those that many people have or stop others buying on Ebay from the likes of China.

"the pilot reported an object - believed to be a drone - had struck the front of the Airbus A320. "

The operative phrase here is "believed to be a drone"

it could had being a bird, or anything else. Not that it could not had being a drone, but........

I think a pilot would no a bird strike.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Landing at say 200 kms per hour, pretty hard to see a small object up front, unless it smacked right into the cockpit front window!

I was landing a C152, 60kts (70mph) on short finals just short of the boundary fence at about 50ft, some 10-15 seconds to touchdown and saw some pigeons flying just below and then a thud, thud and the plane jerked a little, fortunately they did not impact the prop, must have hit the wheels, but still scary.

"the pilot reported an object - believed to be a drone - had struck the front of the Airbus A320. "

The operative phrase here is "believed to be a drone"

it could had being a bird, or anything else. Not that it could not had being a drone, but........

it could have been a...

post-35218-0-78236300-1461062453_thumb.p

Drones are great things but dangerous in the wrong hands or minds. This of course can be applied to most things in life. You can introduce all sorts of restrictions but implementation will be an ongoing challenge.

Archived