VillageFarang...Daily life in Thailand and what I see

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent pictures of course but what's striking for me is the gap between what one person sees on a daily basis versus another who can't even begin to relate to this version of Thailand, more a chasm than a gap.

I am completely overwhelmed by the response to this thread. It is especially rewarding that so many of you took the time to write something as well as click the like button. It is hard to say why my life has turned out like this. Someone mentioned Karma or it could just be good luck. Others may even say it is nothing special. Whatever it is I am very grateful to be living this life and very happy you don’t mind my sharing it with you.wai.gif

Your photos are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

My wife is from an area about 90 minutes south of CR, and I've been avoiding making the trip up there for quite some time. Your photos and posts here have inspired me to get out and explore more of the CR area on our next trip up north.

This is the worst part of the year when we are blessed with hellacious heat and thick suffocating smoke. Everyone is just hoping for the rainy season to begin so we can breath again.

Smoke%2B%2B001.jpg

This is what our area has been looking like for many months although over the past few days it has hinted at lifting. Keep up the postings of what you have seen and hope to see many more of them.

Lovely photos Village Farang. Brings back memories of a trip to north Thailand a couple of years ago. Very scenic and peaceful with changes of terrain and seems to be a great area to live and relax. I did visit the Royal Villa and border station picture looks familiar. Was frequently stopped by checkpoints in those areas as close to the border but never any issues. A very interesting place to visit which is quite unlike other tourist venues is the Hall of Opium outside Chiang Rai. Another impression was that all land seemed to be farmed in some manner and surprised to see corn grown in very mountainous areas as harvesting would be difficult and only by hand.

I have heard good things about the Hall of Opium but I have never taken the time to visit.

Checkpoints are something you get accustomed to up here. I am now recognized by a few of the guys who setup random checkpoints around Chiang Rai and if there is no line of cars we may even say hello.
As for your observation on corn being grown in the mountains, that is a major bone of contention here in the North. With something like 7 or 8 million rai of that stuff being grown on contract for a major corporation the health impact and tourism decline caused by the burn off of fields and husks only makes things more difficult up here.
We have a fair amount of corn being grown in our area and all that you see gets burned.
View%2B%2B003.jpg
View%2B%2B004.jpg
View%2B%2B002.jpg

This is a shortcut I take to visit Phu Chi Fa. By going over Phaya Phi Phak and down this road it cuts the distance in half.

Road%2B%2B01.jpg

Great photo's!

The shortcut is that road 1152 that goes through Phaya Mengrai? Then across 1174 and left on 1020 towards Khun Tan follow by a right up towards Phu Chi Faa?

My map is old and does not show Phaya Phi Phak. :)

This is a shortcut I take to visit Phu Chi Fa. By going over Phaya Phi Phak and down this road it cuts the distance in half.

Road%2B%2B01.jpg

Great photo's!

The shortcut is that road 1152 that goes through Phaya Mengrai? Then across 1174 and left on 1020 towards Khun Tan follow by a right up towards Phu Chi Faa?

My map is old and does not show Phaya Phi Phak. smile.png

Yes, you have the correct directions. With the 1020 being a divided road now, you have to go past a half kilometer or so to make a U-turn and I think the sign still says Phu Chi Fa. The last time I went up it looked like the roadwork was pretty much finished too. If you are interested you can find it on my map listed as Doi Yao or Phaya Pipak. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gkBFmqpmNLqlCt3xPbdReNXE2p4&usp=sharing

The above photo is the road on the back side coming down from Phaya Phi Phak, eventually connecting with the 1155.

Road%2B%2B01.jpg

Great photo's!

My map is old and does not show Phaya Phi Phak. smile.png

Yes, you have the correct directions. With the 1020 being a divided road now, you have to go past a half kilometer or so to make a U-turn and I think the sign still says Phu Chi Fa. The last time I went up it looked like the roadwork was pretty much finished too. If you are interested you can find it on my map listed as Doi Yao or Phaya Pipak. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gkBFmqpmNLqlCt3xPbdReNXE2p4&usp=sharing

The above photo is the road on the back side coming down from Phaya Phi Phak, eventually connecting with the 1155.

Many thanks, i have ridden to Phu Chi Faa a few times, but always followed the Mekong river from Chiang Saen the the Laos land border. Next time i will spend some more time exploring, so beautiful there.

Wonderful photos! Lives in Isaan and is happy here, but I visited Chiang Mai and really fell in love with this northern part of the Kingdom. I even felt safe on the road compared to what I'm used too :-)

Planning a to drive up north in may, something I really looks forward to.

Thanks a lot for this view into this beautiful part of Thailand.

The shots in 104 do it for me as they are simply excellent, plus the dog of course, I always fall for the dog pictures. wub.png

Strictly dirt trails in that area. I was looking for a new route through these hills on my mountain bike but the trails got the best of me and I had to turn back. Hot and defeated, the only saving grace of that day was the pictures.

I took this shot on the same day.

Hills%2B%2B001.jpg

I haven’t been out on the bike since February but today I ran out of excuses. Smoke was gone and the temperature, though hot, was bearable. This is what I saw on my 58 km ride. These shots were taken with my iPhone 6.

Road%2BBike%2B-%2B2.jpg

Road%2BBike%2B-%2B3.jpg

Road%2BBike%2B-%2B5.jpg

Road%2BBike%2B-%2B6.jpg

Singha Park is one of my favorite places to visit but not every day is perfect. Even on a dark cloudy day you sometimes get lucky like I did with this shot. We were about to leave when the sun burst through just to say goodbye. I grabbed the camera from the car and jogged up the hill hoping for a shot and this is what I got. Moments later the sun was gone.

Singha%2BPark%2B-%2B7.jpg

Archived