Secondary students urged not to use plastic bags

webfact

Secondary students urged not to use plastic bags

bag.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 April 2016 (NNT) - CP All Public Company Limited has launched an educational youth camp to encourage youngsters to stop using plastic bags.

According to CP All Senior Vice President of General Management Suwit Kingkeaw, the objective of the camp is to reduce the use of plastic bags, which is a major environmental concern.

The camp has recently been held in the Central Plains, the East and Bangkok. Secondary students from more than 150 schools attended the camp.

Youth For Next Step Network President Jatumet Thuenmuenwai said the camp encouraged the students to be compassionate towards others and knowledgeable about environmental issues.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-18 footer_n.gif

But CP products will continue to come in air tight, factory sealed plastic containers from the factory. And when you order CP meats at the meat counter we'll put them in plastics bags and wrap. But kids, I ask you to stop using plastic bags.

It is hard to get away from plastics in everyday life. I'm just a little surprised biodegradable plastics haven't caught on more but I expect that's due to it costing a little more.

"CP All Public Company Limited has launched an educational youth camp to encourage youngsters to stop using plastic bags."

Here's a better idea. How about CP ceasing to use plastic bags altogether in all of its outlets?

They can offer reusable cloth bags with their logo...Free of charge, and pack all of their products in either biodegradable containers, or containers (with a deposit) that are returned to the store, cleaned and reused by CP.

Should they use condoms now? blink.png

You beat me to that one...

Do they not use cling film these days?

Nope, a couple of year back, it turned out that many youngsters were using plastic bags, because they had no money for condoms.

A British "gentleman" hit the nail on its head when he wrote that this would give the Thai name "Naam Prick" a completely different meaning.

Plastic carry bags are the most prolific and ecologically dangerous form of plastic for a variety of reasons. From roadside to landfill sites they contaminate in a disasterous way as no other article of plastic does. Not so much because they are plastic but the form of them. Plastic trays and cling film may be over utilized in the retail food industry and also add excess volume to waste but are less environmentally damaging.

The public expectation of food items to be hygenically contained plus the convenience of high temperature plastics in the demand for and the marketing of "fast food" is outside of the need to quell the expectation of it all being placed in a carry bag with an extremely limited uselife anda huge unintended life expectancy once in the ground.

Biodegradable plastics may seem to obviate that problem but what is little realized is that biodegradable plastics are already common enough to have caused unseen ecological problems whether or not they be made of petro chem or vegetative ingredients. In the UK the major decline of life forms in beach sand has been caused because a huge percentage is no longer sand but plastic granules which has choked out parts of the ecosystem that wold normally support other species including fish.

Plastics are a wonderful thing if and where the intent and application of use is long term .

The 10 minute plastic carry bag needs to be banned!

Bought a load of stuff at Tesco last week, including 4 packs of washing powder, they put each one in 2 bags, none needed at all of course. The answer is to charge i baht for each bag, problem solved Thais seem to love their bags though.

I take my own reusable bag, able to be used thousands of times, but they still look at me as if it's a bit odd. So everyone in Europe , Canada, Australia, NZ...and a lesser extent in the USA does the same. It will come and for once the millenniums will lead this change.

I have two shopping bags I purchased at Big C maybe 5 years ago.

Every time I get to the check-out it is a race between being able to pass the bags over before the check-out person and assistant are automatically loading my shopping into those green plastic bags.

So what, you may say. Well, quite often I sort of wave the bags to the cashier to indicate before my shopping is being 'swiped' that I will use my own bags, if she will just give me time to unload the trolley and get to the other side of the till. Honestly, quite often, the cashier then goes into automatic mode and ignores my request until I can get to the other side of the till.

I suppose my point is that it is so 'automatic' for staff to be using those dreadful green plastic bags that it is going to take a major shift in training. They ought to have the large shopping bags, maybe priced at about 5/10 baht clearly available on the shop side of the till. Maybe they do in some stores, certainly in the UK and at Makro here - where of course there are no plastic bags.

Finally, it is so much easier to load two shopping bags into the boot of the car, rather than 15-20 small green plastic ones.

Plastic carry bags are the most prolific and ecologically dangerous form of plastic for a variety of reasons. From roadside to landfill sites they contaminate in a disasterous way as no other article of plastic does. Not so much because they are plastic but the form of them. Plastic trays and cling film may be over utilized in the retail food industry and also add excess volume to waste but are less environmentally damaging.

The public expectation of food items to be hygenically contained plus the convenience of high temperature plastics in the demand for and the marketing of "fast food" is outside of the need to quell the expectation of it all being placed in a carry bag with an extremely limited uselife anda huge unintended life expectancy once in the ground.

Biodegradable plastics may seem to obviate that problem but what is little realized is that biodegradable plastics are already common enough to have caused unseen ecological problems whether or not they be made of petro chem or vegetative ingredients. In the UK the major decline of life forms in beach sand has been caused because a huge percentage is no longer sand but plastic granules which has choked out parts of the ecosystem that wold normally support other species including fish.

Plastics are a wonderful thing if and where the intent and application of use is long term .

And you are doing what...exactly to support his view.

In any meaningful way?

Something that requires personal commitment

Please share

Maybe sacrifice..

But CP products will continue to come in air tight, factory sealed plastic containers from the factory. And when you order CP meats at the meat counter we'll put them in plastics bags and wrap. But kids, I ask you to stop using plastic bags.

It is hard to get away from plastics in everyday life. I'm just a little surprised biodegradable plastics haven't caught on more but I expect that's due to it costing a little more.

make the plastic bags out of hemp oil. Hemp costs nothing to grow and the yield is incredibly high.

Biodegradable plastic and a whole lot of other benefits from hemp as well. You can use it to cure cancer

as a by product.

That is not a solution telling students not to use plastic bags. They don't give a *****. A solution would be implementing a nationwide campaign from sellers (not buyers!) not to put products in plastic bags along with a strong announcement on TV telling people to bring their own bags while shopping. That would definitely stop the plastic bag plague. That's what they should do if they really want to change something, otherwise it's a waste of time.

Another solution would be charging for plastic bags, encouraging buyers to bring their own bags. It is done in many countries.

And you are doing what...exactly to support his view.

In any meaningful way?

Something that requires personal commitment

Please share

Maybe sacrifice..

In any shop around where I live I make a point of refusing plastic bags. When I go to buy anything I keep a compact cotton bag in my back pocket. Most shops know now and laugh after habitually attempting to put any items in a plastic bag even if I say not. Local Thai may seem me stupid for refusing something free until I point at the many blowing about just outside same shop.....

I also have reputation as a "scorpion" because I recycle items into something useful. ( Why and what "scorpion" has to do with it is a Thai mystery to me as yet ! biggrin.png )

I take my own reusable bag, able to be used thousands of times, but they still look at me as if it's a bit odd. So everyone in Europe , Canada, Australia, NZ...and a lesser extent in the USA does the same. It will come and for once the millenniums will lead this change.

I too use my cloth bag. The cashiers got use to me using it. One time I was getting a loaf of a bread but the miss and little guy came along. Before you know it we had a whole cart of stuff. The cashier ask where my bag was. I just shruged. So you see they do understand when you use them. Plus you get a whole lot more in it than a plastic bag.

I sent an email to customer service at 7-11 a month ago asking about their campaign to discourage customers not to take a plastic bag for one or two small items.

When I go into any 7-11 to buy one item (a bottle of milk, or a loaf of bread) the staff never ask me if I want a plastic bag, they will ALWAYS put the item into a bag without asking. As part of their CSR, I thought 7-11 were training staff to ask customers if they wanted a plastic bag.

Naturally, no reply. I'll chase it up, then probably write to the press it still nothing.

make the plastic bags out of hemp oil. Hemp costs nothing to grow and the yield is incredibly high.

Biodegradable plastic and a whole lot of other benefits from hemp as well. You can use it to cure cancer

as a by product.

I don't know how practical that is but if so then yes a great idea but I'm pretty certain that it will cost something to grow. Who is supposed to do this the customer or bag manufacturers?

As for curing cancer I think that looking at all the evidence that is wrong. It has possibilities but problems as well.

I simply decline the bag whenever it's just a matter of an item or two. HW store. Drug store. 7-11. Etc. Or double-up into a bag I'm already carrying if possible. I've used the cloth bags you can buy, but find they don't hold up very well very long. Stitching works its way loose, seams open up. And you've got to remember to take them with you in the first place! facepalm.gif

Archived