First Thai woman to apply as an air force pilot

webfact

First woman to apply as an air force pilot

1804004-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Pattani native Ms Suwattana Chanthalert is the first woman to apply for the job as a pilot of the Royal Thai Air Force at the RTAF museum on Monday.

She told reporters that she has always dreamed of becoming an air force pilot and is confident that she is as qualified as men for the job.

Air Vice Marshal Pongsak Semachai, director of the office of policy and planning of the Directorate of Civil Affairs of the RTAF, said he didn’t expect high turnout of applicants this year due to the high qualifications requirement which include physical fitness, at least 162 cm tall, a commercial aviation license, level 4 English proficiency as set by ICAO and without criminal record.

According to the Office of Civil Aviation of Thailand, there have been 92 women with commercial pilot’s licenses during 2003-2016 compared to about 5,000 male commercial pilots.

Application for air force pilots remains open until Sunday after which there will be a written test and physical fitness test. Result will be known in May. The successful applicants will have to study for one year in order to be eligible to become air force pilots.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159976

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-19

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

A post in violation of the above has been removed.

Great for her, I think many Thai men will feel threatened, like they do about Thai woman being allowed to own dildos (spelling ?? sexy time toy).

For the average Thai graduate, "level 4 English proficiency as set by ICAO" would probably be the hardest part. Can't easily be bought.

Great for her, I think many Thai men will feel threatened, like they do about Thai woman being allowed to own dildos (spelling ?? sexy time toy).

For the average Thai graduate, "level 4 English proficiency as set by ICAO" would probably be the hardest part. Can't easily be bought.

Well Bangkok Airways has 11 ladies up front in the cockpit, 4 of them full captains and flying jets so why not the Air Force ?

Well, the English requirement will have her application crash down to Earth. gigglem.gif

ICAO Level 4 is the minimum acceptable operational performance and anyone holding a pass at this level has to be re-tested every three years to maintain the qualification.

Providing that is if the holder and / or their organisation bothers with the re-testing aspect !

first woman to apply for the job as a pilot of the Royal Thai Air Force

Air force chief ACM Tritos Sonchaeng said that the RTAF will, for the time being, recruit female pilots to fly military transport aircraft and helicopters.

The move comes at a time when the air force is facing a shortfall of military pilots who have resigned to work with private airlines offering higher salaries.

Hopefully some day in the near future Thai women will be trusted to fly fighter aircraft.

Air force chief ACM Tritos Sonchaeng said that the RTAF will, for the time being, recruit female pilots to fly military transport aircraft and helicopters.

The move comes at a time when the air force is facing a shortfall of military pilots who have resigned to work with private airlines offering higher salaries.

Hopefully some day in the near future Thai women will be trusted to fly fighter aircraft.

One day maybe. But what I don't understand is why they require the female applicant to already hold a pilot license. With that in hand financially it would make more sense to apply with a commercial airline than with the RTAF. In most countries people join the air force to become trained as a pilot there, serve their years, and then make the transition to a commercial airline.

Anyway good news for my daughter as she is really interested in the armed forces and being a pilot interests her as well. Now if they just pay for the full training from the start, then it is all sorted. (Apart from the 2cm she still needs to grow)

Well, the English requirement will have her application crash down to Earth. gigglem.gif

Do you know the lady personally and have full knowledge of her English proficiency, or are you trying to make a joke in poor taste?

Personally I wish her the best of luck and I hope that she succeeds.

One day maybe. But what I don't understand is why they require the female applicant to already hold a pilot license. With that in hand financially it would make more sense to apply with a commercial airline than with the RTAF. In most countries people join the air force to become trained as a pilot there, serve their years, and then make the transition to a commercial airline.

Anyway good news for my daughter as she is really interested in the armed forces and being a pilot interests her as well. Now if they just pay for the full training from the start, then it is all sorted. (Apart from the 2cm she still needs to grow)

Lower salaries maybe, but the declaration of wealth given by the top generals, Admirals and Air Chiefs would indicate that the fringe benefits can be outstanding.

Well Bangkok Airways has 11 ladies up front in the cockpit, 4 of them full captains and flying jets so why not the Air Force ?

COMBAT! What if they have to drop bombs to destroy an enemy. Does the THAI air force have the right stuff. The military has yet to secure the South, so, having a female is only for show besides this young woman's braces couldn't take the G FORCES.

And are they the PIC OR RIGHT SEAT and are they THAI?

Another empty kitchen!!

Seriously, they make great pilots, generally pay attention to detail, better than men.

I worked with a lot, and they don't tear a fart off like male copilots!

That doesn't make the silent fluffs any less toxic!

biggrin.png

WHY ?

Do you know the applicant, have you spoken with her and found her English language skills to be lacking?

Your comment is offensive and quite moronic!

Good for her and best of luck in her endeavours. My personal experience of female pilots operating in a commercial flight deck has been nothing but positive. They are as competent as their male counterparts. Military aviation in a combat zone will provide another challenge for sure.

A serous question

How come there are female commercial pilots in Thailand (Bangkok Airways has them) that have not come from the air force, is there a separate academy? i was always of the opinion the majority of commercial pilots came FROM the air force. so what i am saying is i am surprised she is the first lady pilot in the air force

I have flown several times on Laos airlines (aviation) with a lady pilot

Archived