BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Number of foreign tourists during Songkran festival marks 20.7% increase

Number of foreign tourists during Songkran festival marks 20.7% increase

BANGKOK, 19 April 2016 (NNT) - Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Watthanawarangkun said the number of foreign visitors to Thailand during Songkran festival from April 13 until April 17 was over 440,000, accounting for a 20.7 percent increase from last year.

A large number of tourists, Thai and foreign, were found to have spent their holiday in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen and Bangkok. Most traveled in a short distance in the provinces.

Other favorite tourist destinations during Songkran festival included Phuket and Krabi on the shores of the Andaman Sea and Koh Samui island in the Gulf of Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-19 footer_n.gif

But where were they.

I know you can fit 20.7% more chinese in an elevator compared to us farangs. If you can put up with the noise.

The figures are correct as I'm sure the minister personally counted every arrival so she could be absolutely sure of accuracy, she's not a lady to make exaggerated claims. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

I say this: kratom should be kept away from government agencies. gigglem.gif

Now not being cynical about these figures but 442 people died this year over Songkran...last year there was 365 people reported dead. 20.7% increase in tourists this year amazingly just about exactly the difference in the figures..!! So there is the answer to the increase in deaths! It's all down to the additional visitors!! Of course this is just a coincidence and nothing should be seen in this apparent similarly percentages . Or should it .????

I can see everyone reaching for there calculators now to check the maths lol

I think .7% of many polls and figures in government statements is amazing in its frequency.

I have like many noticed that it seems to spring up a bit.

It's great that the tourism industry is booming and the mars mission ahead of time too.

Thailand drew Australia and Japan In the World Cup games to qualify.

I think 20.7% of Thais might be worried more about that than the 20.7% increase in road deaths , or 20.7% rise in tourists .

Such accurate figures surely are a sign of their greatness

The spin doctors will start blaming the Chinese drivers for the increase in deaths over Songkran....gigglem.gif

Not in Chiang Mai apparently.

It was one of the least crowded Songkrans I've seen in Chiang Mai since I moved here.

From what I saw in CM 50% decrease from last year . I guess they all stayed in their . I felt bad for the sellers they had stocked up , expecting crowds like last year . I for one did not see anything close .

COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH my 10th Songkran and I have never seen it so quiet I live in Hang Dong and got to town without even getting wet on the first 2 days roads were empty and the crowds we sporadic I have never every seen it so quiet.

TAT’s Deputy Director Anuphab pointed out in April 2015 that 90% of the accommodations were booked up during the Songkran festival – despite a 7% drop in domestic tourists.

Now this year there is a 20.7% increase from last year.

Accommodations must have been overbooked!