Officials mull big bike licence

snoop1130

But how were the rules 40 years or so ago? Because that is what lik is explaining

I seem to recall that I took my bike test in Loughborough in the UK around 1977 on a 125cc bike, allowing me to then ride any motorbike cc size. The test required me to drive round and round a few roads, whilst the test guy jogged along on the footpath, (he wasn't on a motorbike). To test my reactions and braking, he hid behind a tree and then jumped out in front of me. Since it was mid-winter, and the roads were covered in ice, this was rather a foolhardy action, and I came close to hitting him.....

But since I managed to stop inches from him, and didn't fall off on the ice, he was suitably impressed with my instinct for survival that he passed me with flying colours. :)

But how were the rules 40 years or so ago? Because that is what lik is explaining

Good point...........seems to have changed A LOT since the days of my m/c driving days; as I recall, a bike no bigger than 250cc at 16, then passed a test and any size bike was available.

Had a 250cc 2 stroke Villiers twin, then on to a 500cc triumph twin...........loved the Villiers 2 stoke twin. Ah, "the good old days"!!!!

As I recall, the rules in the US were very lax.

About 35 years ago, a friend gave me a 2-stroke Suzuki 500, so I got a motorcycle "learner's permit", which required no riding test. At the time, I don't think any bikes under 250cc were available, and my next bike was a brand new 4-stroke Suzuki 450 (paid less than $1,000 USD as they had imported too many that year, and had a glut in the warehouses that they needed to move).

I never bothered to upgrade to a full M/C license, as at the time, the only restrictions for the learner's permit were no driving at night, no driving on the Interstate highways, and no pillion passenger. There were no size restrictions, as I recall.

I don't expect any change ... in my country (the UK) there is no 'big bike' license. You get a provisional with engine size restricions ... pas the bike test then you drive what you want.

I passed my provisional test at age 16 and then could drive any size bike. Seems good to me. Pass bike test and you are good to go on any bike ...

I also remember you could only carry a pillion rider if they held a full bike license.

IIRC back in the 1960s you could also ride bikes of 650cc and above on a provisional driving licence, BUT only if they had a side-car.

My girlfriends Dad let me try his 650 AJS and chair which I thought was easy going straight ahead and turning right. Turning left however the chair lifted a bit and scared the crap out of me.

A mate took me from Portsmouth to Poole one week end with his BMW 1000 and chair and that did terrify me as the BMW was an import and the chair was on the other side. It was low down and I got to see what was coming the other way first but the only control that I had was of my bladder and sphincter and that worked OK.

I went back by train.

I seem to recall that I took my bike test in Loughborough in the UK around 1977 on a 125cc bike, allowing me to then ride any motorbike cc size. The test required me to drive round and round a few roads, whilst the test guy jogged along on the footpath, (he wasn't on a motorbike). To test my reactions and braking, he hid behind a tree and then jumped out in front of me. Since it was mid-winter, and the roads were covered in ice, this was rather a foolhardy action, and I came close to hitting him.....

But since I managed to stop inches from him, and didn't fall off on the ice, he was suitably impressed with my instinct for survival that he passed me with flying colours. smile.png

Yes, my bike test was much the same. Examiner was on foot and set me on a repeated circular route. I was just turned 16 and had a 150 NSU scooter. I had thought the examiner would have spies round the route. I hit a pavement that jutted out and thought I had failed. I passed. Bought a 500 Triumph speed twin at the local auction the next week.

I don't expect any change ... in my country (the UK) there is no 'big bike' license. You get a provisional with engine size restricions ... pas the bike test then you drive what you want.

I passed my provisional test at age 16 and then could drive any size bike. Seems good to me. Pass bike test and you are good to go on any bike ...

Complete B*llocks !

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-2-motorcycle-licence-requirements

If you are ignorant of fact then refrain from posting.

Some people are really strange. How can there not be a big bike drivers license in a developed country?

I made my license for big bikes when I was 17 in Germany, but had to wait until my 18th birthday to be allowed to ride it.

The little ones doing 25 km/h with 14/15 didn't need a license, but for the 50 cc who did 80 km +/h when I was 16 was a driver's license needed, called class four.

I seriously doubt that it's much different in the UK.

Is there anybody around who was a member at ghost Riders Chapter Holland around 78'? Please page me, I'm looking for some old pics.

I've got some photos from Ghostriders, Chapter Germany in exchange.

And when I had my first 750 cc bike there's no need and no law to wear a helmet. It took two more years to come with laws to wear a helmet.

The young folks these days do not seem to understand how "cool" it is to drive with 180 km/h through the city. F R E E D O M P U R E.

Yes, I saw my own friends dying on the streets after a serious crash, but it didn't stop us from riding.

There're certain things in life that are dangerous, but you'll have to do it to understand what I'm on about.

From a biker who had to sell his bike to make it to Europe to get his bones fixed after an accident.

I hope the bloke in Phuket still got this dream bike that came with the Sisaket license plate with the number 1 on it.

Unfortunately, did I just recently see a Thai with this number, so he must have been stupid enough to give this number away.

If this guy reads this post, please send me a message.. I miss the bike so much. thumbsup.gif

P.S. Something went wrong with the evolution, there's a biker club in Kantharalak, ( Sisaket province), mostly 400 cc " Choppers" ( lol) with the outstanding name :

Kwai Riders. Sorry, couldn't find an image of one of them. That's a danish Kwai......

I presume you mean the "yellow" Ghost Riders from Holland and Northern Germany ie Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund and around the Ruhr, and not the "red/black" Ghost Riders from the south ie Stuttgart and Heidenheim, Frankenthal etc. Two very different clubs. Both do not exist anymore, the former now being part of the Bandidos MC, and the latter now being part of the Outlaws MC.

Regards.

Looking forward to Thailand implementing a complicated system like in Germany/Europe biggrin.png

AM

A2

A1

A

Don't want to bother you with details but it starts at the age of 16 and max. speed 45 km/h (28 mph).

You need at least two years in the A1 class to get up to A (unlimited).

If I understand right you would not be allowed to drive a real big bike before the age of 20.

Depending on age most people can get a full UK Motorcycle Licence after five days training.

It's far from enough experience to be let loose on a big bike, but that's how long it takes someone on avarage to get to UK test standard and market forces do the rest. People only want to learn what is required to pass the test.

But of course thats four and a half days more training than it takes to pass the Thai test. Except for learning the silly answers to the theory questions of course.

But since I managed to stop inches from him, and didn't fall off on the ice, he was suitably impressed with my instinct for survival that he passed me with flying colours. smile.png

Yes, my bike test was much the same. Examiner was on foot and set me on a repeated circular route. I was just turned 16 and had a 150 NSU scooter. I had thought the examiner would have spies round the route. I hit a pavement that jutted out and thought I had failed. I passed. Bought a 500 Triumph speed twin at the local auction the next week.

"Bought a 500 Triumph speed twin at the local auction the next week".

That was the Triumph model I had and was the model also used by the police back then........still preferred the Villiers 2 stroke twin though. Trouble free, could change the piston rings in an hour or so, ran on just about any mix of oil and petrol (even old gearbox oil, which was handy as I was a poorly paid apprentice), was nippy and had a lovely sound when accelerating.

1974 got My motorcycle license in NZ, Learners first which required no practical then 6 months later sat full licence. Motorcycle cop following me for my road test said if I had rode through every red light he would still have passed me as an idiot in a car did an unidicated U turn right in front of me and I had to do some quick maneuvering to avoid being knocked over. There were no restrictions on Bike size back then. Now LAMS license restricted to 500cc and under. After 2 years can buy bigger bike. I have had fun in Thailand on the 125's but miss My Harley so love it when home

Complete B*llocks !

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-2-motorcycle-licence-requirements

If you are ignorant of fact then refrain from posting.

Some people are really strange. How can there not be a big bike drivers license in a developed country?

I made my license for big bikes when I was 17 in Germany, but had to wait until my 18th birthday to be allowed to ride it.

The little ones doing 25 km/h with 14/15 didn't need a license, but for the 50 cc who did 80 km +/h when I was 16 was a driver's license needed, called class four.

I seriously doubt that it's much different in the UK.

Is there anybody around who was a member at ghost Riders Chapter Holland around 78'? Please page me, I'm looking for some old pics.

I've got some photos from Ghostriders, Chapter Germany in exchange.

And when I had my first 750 cc bike there's no need and no law to wear a helmet. It took two more years to come with laws to wear a helmet.

The young folks these days do not seem to understand how "cool" it is to drive with 180 km/h through the city. F R E E D O M P U R E.

Yes, I saw my own friends dying on the streets after a serious crash, but it didn't stop us from riding.

There're certain things in life that are dangerous, but you'll have to do it to understand what I'm on about.

From a biker who had to sell his bike to make it to Europe to get his bones fixed after an accident.

I hope the bloke in Phuket still got this dream bike that came with the Sisaket license plate with the number 1 on it.

Unfortunately, did I just recently see a Thai with this number, so he must have been stupid enough to give this number away.

If this guy reads this post, please send me a message.. I miss the bike so much. thumbsup.gif

P.S. Something went wrong with the evolution, there's a biker club in Kantharalak, ( Sisaket province), mostly 400 cc " Choppers" ( lol) with the outstanding name :

Kwai Riders. Sorry, couldn't find an image of one of them. That's a danish Kwai......

In USA there is only one motorcycle license. Most riders start on 600cc sport bikes. Ones with ~100 hp. If you ride that for a while you are considered a pu$$y if you don't jump up to a bike with 150+ hp that are pretty much track bikes I think the system in the US is pretty bad.

not quite ages ,cc and power comes in to it as well, a fairly complicated system, maybe too complicated for Thailand's lack of traffic enforcement.

category AM - moped 16 years

category A1 - m/c up to 125cc power output not exceeding 11kw min age 17 years

category A2 - m/c power output not exceeding 35kw min. age 19 years

category A - unrestricted m/c power output over 35kw min. age 24 years or 21 on a progressive licence

As I remember it I rode a Honda 50 on L plates for a while then passed the test and was legally allowed to ride ANY motorbike: 'cos at that time the rule was if it had gears and no pedals it was a m/c. I was still at school (6th form so it would be about 1966). Never owned another m/c went straight on to a car after about 3years on the 50cc. Nearly killed myself 20 years later on a 250cc MZ 'cos I had a full m/c licence ! 5555

not quite ages ,cc and power comes in to it as well, a fairly complicated system, maybe too complicated for Thailand's lack of traffic enforcement.

category AM - moped 16 years

category A1 - m/c up to 125cc power output not exceeding 11kw min age 17 years

category A2 - m/c power output not exceeding 35kw min. age 19 years

category A - unrestricted m/c power output over 35kw min. age 24 years or 21 on a progressive licence

It's way too complicated for the UK's Traffic Enforcement!

I know many riders who have gotten away with riding over-powered bikes and that was before this latest system was introduced.

The problem is the enforcement approach has run out of steam in the UK as well and they don't know what to do about it. Would help if it was a progressively more advanced test with stages to demonstrate riding experience. Only it's not, same examiners, same test, only the CC changes. Many call that a missed opportunity, no incentive to improve.

I took the same test but a few years later (1982), they had introduced the two part test by then, the one you described became *part two*.

Part one was a case of riding around a set of cones in a car park at remarkably low speeds.

Part was really funny, I remember him telling me he was going to show himself at a location unknown to me for me to do the emergency stop.

True to his word, out he jumped from behind a bush with his clipboard raised. I was like something out of Benny Hill.

Still could legally ride any capacity bike the same day after passing my test on a 100cc.

What makes the chief policy adviser at the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) think that Phuket can establish it own rules for motorcycle licenses ?

Last time I looked land transport offices came under the jurisdiction Department of Land Transportation which itself is under the Ministry of Transport

I have serious doubts if local offices have the authority to issue province wide rules and regulations separate from the those issued by the Ministry of Transport

i think youre confused about where 'your country' was. in my UK country i had to be 17 before i passed my full bike test....35 years ago. nowadays its hard to get a full power bike licence.

Archived