'Fire jellyfish' invade islands in Krabi

snoop1130

'Fire jellyfish' invade islands in Krabi
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-89909000-1461067871_thumb.

KRABI: -- National Park officials yesterday erected signs warning visitors of venomous jellyfish at Koh Hong, Koh Lao Lading and Koh Pak Bia after thousands of purple-colored jellies appeared in the water off the islands in Krabi.

“The signs are in English and Thai. They have been put up to warn the public about the venomous jellyfish,” said Jampen Pormpakdee, chief of the Koh Hong protection zone of Than Bok Khorani National Park.

“We are clearing the dead jellyfish from the water and on the beaches. They are a few centimeters long, and known locally as ‘fire jellyfish’. They are venomous, causing irritation and pain if touched,” he said.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Fire-jellyfish-invade-islands-Krabi/63721?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-19-04

OK - the signs, as ever, are rubbish...they look more like a menu than a warning.......I'm assuming these are NOT box jellies?

Why don't they just take a leave out of Australia's book - they have years of experience of warning people about jellyfish.

OK - the signs, as ever, are rubbish...they look more like a menu than a warning.......I'm assuming these are NOT box jellies?

Why don't they just take a leave out of Australia's book - they have years of experience of warning people about jellyfish.

Take a leaf out of Australia's book, you mean like warning people of the risk? Or why don't we praise them for taking action because, as we know, if they did nothing they'd be crucified on here.

Many different species of box jellies - not just the fatal ones...

My local beach (all 10kms of it) put up one similar sign a year or two ago along with a bottle of vinegar. Within a couple of weeks the vinegar disappeared, and the sign support has now rusted away - probably never to be replaced....

Take a leaf out of Australia's book, you mean like warning people of the risk? Or why don't we praise them for taking action because, as we know, if they did nothing they'd be crucified on here.

These signs are old - they are the one wheeled out when a few people suffered box jellies "attacks" a few months back. The truth is they are clear evidence that Thailand has no full-time policy on monitoring the beaches/seas for potentially jelly fish, when a problem does occur they just go into the attic and see what is left over from last time.

tourism is a major component of the Thai economy (up to 10%0 and as such there is a responsibility of care that rests with the Thai authorities - time and again they are shown internationally to fall short of this....to the detriment of the product they offer, the reputation of the country and the health and safety of their visitors.

My local beach (all 10kms of it) put up one similar sign a year or two ago along with a bottle of vinegar. Within a couple of weeks the vinegar disappeared, and the sign support has now rusted away - probably never to be replaced....

many different species and identifying them from that sign is just a joke - you are looking art them from above through water, they certainly aren't going to present themselves as they are in those illustrations.

many different species and identifying them from that sign is just a joke - you are looking art them from above through water, they certainly aren't going to present themselves as they are in those illustrations.

Many of them on my beach (in the gulf) are very small (5-10mm) - you can hardly see them even under water with goggles, but no chance from above the surface, but you can feel them through your finger as you swim, and occasionally catch one. Some of the small ones sting like "fire ants" - unpleasant but not a real problem... Not heard of any of the more serious/fatal ones by me. We do get troubled with the large "moon" jellyfish (some up to 0.5m across) during June/July many of which get washed up on the beaches (or caught & eaten by the locals)... I avoid swimming at these times although I don't think these species are a real problem.

Archived