Confusion over controversial new Immigration Form

Confusion Over Controversial New Immigration Form
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14610647351461064761l.jpg
Customers at One Stop service Center for Visa and Work Permit in Chamchuri Square

BANGKOK — Sebastien edged up to the counter and handed the form to the immigration officer. A few breaths later, it was accepted despite a lot of unanswered questions.

In recent days alarm has been raised over a new immigration form asking foreigners to provide the government with their bank details and where they hang out online and offline.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461064735&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-20

• Like 1

Twitter just links to an email which links to nothing. Again you are assuming that the criminal-to-be is on an extension and has a bank account. Many can get by just using an ATM linked to their home account.

Personally, I'm not gonna ever give any false information but I'll be cautious as to what information I provide as one of these days I might decide to become a criminal.

Did the form expect a Thai bank account versus a bank account in their home?

From the linked Khaosod article:

"Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, the Immigration Bureau deputy commissioner who designed the form said Monday that it would help solve problems, such as the difficulty in tracking down foreigners who commit a crime."

So they would now be able to track down any foreigner who committed a crime and who had provided them with accurate and up-to-date information on the form. OK.

Sure. The home address you provide several times (on entry, TM-30 and 90-day report) is practically useless to locate anybody. However, knowing their Twitter user name and bank account number will allow them to be tracked down immediately.

The form is not asking for your twitter account name and for the bank account... ive an old UOB account I have no cares for.

I'll be ok I reckon.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2

Well so far I'm overly concerned about any of the information they might ask for on the form even if they do ask for it at some point when I have reason to go to my local Immigration office.

But if they do genuinely ask for it, I doubt I would ever say to them point-blank to their face: That is none of your BIZ-NESS!

• Like 1

it seems that these forms - if completed - are going to be susceptible to a plethora of different creative responses...... multiple addresses, cars from around the world, I think maybe the dept has underestimated the amount of information that could be added to these forms if one complies to the letter....they would be totally swamped by the extra paperwork......but these practicalities are never considered in this sort of one-man dictum, are they?

• Like 2

It is an invasion of privacy. I believe if it were tested in the Administrative Court, they would be barred from gathering some of the information they are seeking. Perhaps, you could also demand confirmation of the security used to store such information when the tabled data privacy legislation comes into force.

• Like 1

April 5th I went to immigration at Phibun to renewal my visa. Everything went smooth. The only new item was them asking me for the name of my bank. No account number or amount, just the name which happens to be in the U.S.

If you have to start listing all of the places you frequent, I could see a very very long list.

Don't you people have any accounts you use for obvious "junk?" For example, I have an Excite.com email address for just such an occasions, and you can make a mistaken typo when filling out any of the other items.

Exactly - i am a 'woman' in a GMX mail account. Free identity-loose emails are the big loophole. And for max anonymity, create it at a free public net connection and not at home.