Confusion over controversial new Immigration Form

Several post have been removed for various reasons. Post will be removed without further notice. If you post disappears you can assume you steeped over the line.

Most were in violation of at least one of these Forum Rules

"2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

From the linked Khaosod article:

"Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, the Immigration Bureau deputy commissioner who designed the form said Monday that it would help solve problems, such as the difficulty in tracking down foreigners who commit a crime."

So they would now be able to track down any foreigner who committed a crime and who had provided them with accurate and up-to-date information on the form. OK.

Sure. The home address you provide several times (on entry, TM-30 and 90-day report) is practically useless to locate anybody. However, knowing their Twitter user name and bank account number will allow them to be tracked down immediately.

Getting very helpful nowadays, these people who don't want to be tracked down. They even fill in forms for immigration......not!

Ubon Joe, could you please weigh in on this issue. I've heard reliable information that the only people being asked to fill out this form are those with 'business' visas. In addition, the use of the form creates two classes of persons who report in person or do the 90 day reporting online. Would like to see something definitive.

For those of use on retirements visas or extensions of stays, 'most' of the information requested is already provided.

Thanks!!

I was at Bangkok immigration yesterday (Chaengwattana) in person for my 90 day report - the standard form was given at the counter (same as the past 12 months or so) and nothing new was required.

• Like 2

Ubon Joe, could you please weigh in on this issue. I've heard reliable information that the only people being asked to fill out this form are those with 'business' visas. In addition, the use of the form creates two classes of persons who report in person or do the 90 day reporting online. Would like to see something definitive.

For those of use on retirements visas or extensions of stays, 'most' of the information requested is already provided.

Thanks!!

I have only seen two reports of a person being given the form. One was for a re-entry permit at the one stop center for a person working for a BOI company. The other was for a 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana by person that is on an extension based upon marriage.

Very simple. When you are a guest in the country and if they demand answers, you answer the questions. If they say not all questions have to be answered, follow their instructions.

If you don't like it be polite to the Immigration Officer and leave the country.

I don't understand why foreignors think like they are Thai citizens.

Well put except you may want to draw the line in the sand when an over zealous mid-manager makes unauthorized and unreasonable demands. Let's take next weeks challenge when Col. Whatever in the satellite immigration office in say Udon Thani now require multiple acts of sodomy by his officers on you before you get approval for your 90 day report. I would be taken aback (no pun here) and find another way to do the required report. Your "do whatever the authorities say or leave the country" may not apply in this case.

So many words written in this thread I can't help but wonder just how many of the hundreds of thousands of foreigners here in Thailand have seen this form or filled it out?

Edited by grantbkk
  • Like 1

Thanks!!

I have only seen two reports of a person being given the form. One was for a re-entry permit at the one stop center for a person working for a BOI company. The other was for a 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana by person that is on an extension based upon marriage.

Thank you! I am aware of one other incident where a friend of mine who is on a work permit went to CW for a 90 report several weeks ago. He was given the form but was told that the filling out of the form was not mandatory. It certainly seems that there is a lot of unfounded hysteria going around.

Edited by pookiki

firstly what about those who sign on online?

then what about companies that do their 90 days in batches without the employees attending?

...so if in the end they decide that EVERYONE must fill in these forms.......that's EVERY expat every 90 days is going to generate another one of these forms?? - how much staff/time will be taken up dealing with the shear volume of paper created?

The article gives a very broad hint on how to fill out the form if asked to do it. Not sure why some are making such a big deal of it. Reminds of when they started putting the income questions on the back of the arrival cards many years ago. Who fills that out? I certainly never have.

TH

Perhaps they should add a couple of "purpose of your visit" categories on the back of the arrival form...?

"Criminal activity" or "Terrorism" - then when something happens they can go back and check who has recently arrived with those intentions.

• Like 1

Foreigners recognise your rights you are only obliged to give details of where you are staying and how long you have stamped on your travel document. The rest is not anyones business. They cannot control their own lot...let alone follow up on the local crimes, they are thinking of international.....Good luck

They can do what.ever they choose to do. They can refuse you a visa and your embassy won't lift a finger in your defence. You forget where you are living and who is in charge. Telling them they have no right to know will get you nowhere except into deep doo-da.

Actually if the majority of expats REFUSED to fill in the form, even the Dept immigration might get the impression that the exercise is not acheiving anything worthwhile..unless they want to get rid of a bunch of skilled workers out of their industry.

What do the Japanese and others have to do with these forms?

Another poorly designed form to join the long list of poorly designed and confusing forms that the Govt come up with.

Why are you saying 'The Government'------------- Do any of you stupid people who send in stupid answers ever read what the thread is all about.This is a form sent out by the request (or demand) of one (ONE!!!!) immigration qfficer.It is NOT even from the Immigration Dept as such,just one man.They will not get any personal data that is not relevant from me.I could on the other hand fill up the form and a few extra pages with all the bars and eating places that I frequent,football grounds,favourite towns and places that I go to sometimes at week ends,Temples that have monks in them that always seem to be pleased to see and talk to me.I also like to do the occasional bit of window shopping at various big stores where I get a coffee and meal if hungry.There are lots of other info like this,hobbies etc that I am happy to provide info on.How am I doing so far????????????????

Anyone in immigration is an agent of the government - anything they say is consequently "the government" - anyone who has spent more than 24 hours in Thailand will realise that one of the most common ways of laws/regulations being introduced or changed is by dictum usually from one (overzealous?) person.....

• Like 1

done my family of 4 with extensions and Multiple entries.........all needed to sign 2 new forms, which had to do with overstay rules and adress thats all

NongKhai....no such forms in sight!

The one thing that looks clear is that this form is only being requested at the One Stop Service Center at Sam Yan in Bangkok. I'm guessing this will blow over within a few months, as it was not instituted by the national head of immigration and it's getting a lot of attention in the expat community... Behind closed doors I would guess that foreign ambassadors will bring it up, and the immigration big-wigs will tell the One Stop shop to cool it. Otherwise I'll just have to go up to Chaeng Watthana for 90-day reporting.

Whatever you do guys don't give them your TV username you will all be nicked for defamation

So you are saying that if you give your TV user name to the Immigration people, or any business or authority, and

they want to find you they can do so by knowing your TV user name?

So some TV member uses defamation of character, the person who was defamed gets in touch with Thaivisa, who

then gives that person the members email address, then the person gets the TV members real name and address, from

their email address, then the police come knocking? Absolute cobblers.

Another poorly designed form to join the long list of poorly designed and confusing forms that the Govt come up with.

Why are you saying 'The Government'------------- Do any of you stupid people who send in stupid answers ever read what the thread is all about.This is a form sent out by the request (or demand) of one (ONE!!!!) immigration qfficer.It is NOT even from the Immigration Dept as such,just one man.They will not get any personal data that is not relevant from me.I could on the other hand fill up the form and a few extra pages with all the bars and eating places that I frequent,football grounds,favourite towns and places that I go to sometimes at week ends,Temples that have monks in them that always seem to be pleased to see and talk to me.I also like to do the occasional bit of window shopping at various big stores where I get a coffee and meal if hungry.There are lots of other info like this,hobbies etc that I am happy to provide info on.How am I doing so far????????????????

Anyone in immigration is an agent of the government - anything they say is consequently "the government" - anyone who has spent more than 24 hours in Thailand will realise that one of the most common ways of laws/regulations being introduced or changed is by dictum usually from one (overzealous?) person.....

You are exactly one of the people I was referring to in my first sentence--------------- this form does not come from a government organisation------- its a one man band from one office----------- Clear now???????????????????coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Thailand did not use to be so complicated. If you saw a two ton elephant walking in traffic behind a Ferrari you didn't give it a second thought because that was Amazing Thailand. Yes you thought your eyes were playing tricks on you but nowdays tricks are being played on the minds of foreigners. This government seems to like to cry wolf and see what the effect will be. Never are rules presented in a clear concise way and it seems deliberate. There is one freakin word that would calm the masses and that word is OPTIONAL.

Thailand did not use to be so complicated. If you saw a two ton elephant walking in traffic behind a Ferrari you didn't give it a second thought because that was Amazing Thailand. Yes you thought your eyes were playing tricks on you but nowdays tricks are being played on the minds of foreigners. This government seems to like to cry wolf and see what the effect will be. Never are rules presented in a clear concise way and it seems deliberate. There is one freakin word that would calm the masses and that word is OPTIONAL.

Is that for the people who do not understand "not mandatory "?