Confusion over controversial new Immigration Form

Whilst it has been very interesting to read everyone's views on this topic, I have written to His Excellency the Ambassador for UK, advising him about the Form and the disquiet it has caused amongst the International Ex-Pat Community. I have asked him also to contact his fellow Ambassadors and then to take the matter up with the appropriate Thai Government Office. I would recommend that all other Ex-Pats do likewise. You can whinge and moan all you like on this Forum, but unless you take the matter to someone in authority nothing will happen. I have asked that all mention of Banks Details, Social Forums and Places at which one Socializes be removed as a minimum requirement, if not the whole form. If successful, this does mean, someone in relatively high Thai authority looses face and we are all aware that this does not go down too well.

I think you are misinformed in regards to what an Embassy can or cannot do.

Embassies will provide consular assistance, give you a list of lawyers to use when you are in trouble and contact your family overseas to tell them you're in trouble. Assist with your deportation. Issue documents. And that's about it.

Edited by lkv

I think you are misinformed in regards to what an Embassy can or cannot do.

Embassies will provide consular assistance, give you a list of lawyers to use when you are in trouble and contact your family overseas to tell them you're in trouble. Assist with your deportation. Issue documents. And that's about it.

I believe this depends on the embassy. Many embassies have economic sections here and they are possibly quite interested that their members are treated well.

The legal fact is that these answers can only be made mandatory when they're written into law. I certainly intend to refuse them!

Alternatively, if you think your refusal may make you a military target, think up TRUE and creative answers:

2.4 All social media you use:

2.4.1 Google

2.4.2 YouTube

2.4.3 Wikipedia

2.5 Vehicle used by foreigner

Mo-cy, rot mae, rot air, songthaew, rot tu, tuk tuk, taxi meter, BTS, MRT, rua

2.6 Other places or premises visited often by the foreigner

Chatuchak Weekend Market, Siam Square, Wat Po

So far, I've only seen these questions. For bank accounts, give either a foreign bank account or dormant account.

My experiences suggest that you are correct, and a smart ass answer is better than no answer. I saw some backpackers get into it with the officer at Maesai about where they were staying. All they had to do was put BKK Hilton and all would have been fine...many feel the need to do things the hard way.

They already have bank a/c details from when renewing extension.

Only for those using the money in the bank option for extensions based upon retirement or marriage or having a Thai child or a foreign child attending school.

Those using the income option do not have to show bank books.

They don't have mine since I use the income option.

People working, teaching and etc do not have give bank details either.

• Like 1

I think you will understand the mentality of the author of this form when you fill out your foreign address including "village number and headman".

That's awesome.

It also says that is only for those from Laos, Cambodia and other neighboring countries. Somebody needs to look at the form again.

I dont even know how I would fill out that part of the form anyways as we dont have;

Village number

Sub-district

District

Province

in my home country. Guess I just leave them blank.

Is your home country Laos, Cambodia or another neighbouring country?

If not, take another look at Ubonjoe's comment.

It also says that is only for those from Laos, Cambodia and other neighboring countries. Somebody needs to look at the form again.

I dont even know how I would fill out that part of the form anyways as we dont have;

Village number

Sub-district

District

Province

in my home country. Guess I just leave them blank.

Is your home country Laos, Cambodia or another neighbouring country?

If not, take another look at Ubonjoe's comment.

Ohhhh. Ok.

So as Iam not from Laos, Cambodia or another neighboring country I do not need to fill in this part of the form then ?

post-186594-0-19736800-1461147806_thumb.

Edited by Don Mega

All this reminds me of arriving as a crew member aboard at Atlantic liner in the early 1960s. Before being allowed ashore we had to be photographed, have our finger prints taken (quite roughly I remember) and complete a form that included the laughable question - "Do you intend to overthrow the government of the USA?" Of course all those lively Liverpool lads put "yes". I don't recall anyone being refused shore leave as a result!

• Like 1

Whatever you do guys don't give them your TV username you will all be nicked for defamation

So you are saying that if you give your TV user name to the Immigration people, or any business or authority, and

they want to find you they can do so by knowing your TV user name?

So some TV member uses defamation of character, the person who was defamed gets in touch with Thaivisa, who

then gives that person the members email address, then the person gets the TV members real name and address, from

their email address, then the police come knocking? Absolute cobblers.

More likely they ask for the IP address of the poster. From there they trace the address.

If that's the case, then I will have to watch what I say in future, my postcount is going to rise a lot slower now.

That's great, I'm sure quality is preferable to quantity.

• Like 1

I have no problems with filling out all the questions on the form. Have always been careful what I say on facebook and Thai visa. Thai visa is about information and sharing experiences, good and bad in Thailand, it`s not about criticising the Thais, Thailand, the police and it`s politicians. I don`t care who knows who my parents are and who I hang out with in Thailand considering I don`t belong to any political or religious groups. The only inconvenience is that it means more forms to fill and more time consuming.

I am just an ordinary guy, nothing much interesting about me with nothing to hide.The people that have put things on facebook that they shouldn`t should get busy by cleaning up their posts and with Thai visa are stuck with whatever they have posted in the past.

I have nothing to hide so am quite prepared to fil in the form but wonder they did not ask are you a criminal or similar?. In my opinion if they really want to track down undesirables they need to use a more professional approach.

I was given this form to fill out by my HR today. I am changing jobs and applying for a new wp and extension. She pretty much told me not to put anything personal on there. I put my wife down for contacts in Thailand and my parents home address and left everything else blank. There was no need for a signature.

OB

I was presented with this form a couple of weeks ago in Khon Kaen. I told the IO that I don't have any bank accounts in Thailand and my hobby was watching TV. She did not ask if I used the Internet and seemed ok with the answers I gave. Don't know what I would have told her if she pressed me.

From the linked Khaosod article:

"Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, the Immigration Bureau deputy commissioner who designed the form said Monday that it would help solve problems, such as the difficulty in tracking down foreigners who commit a crime."

So they would now be able to track down any foreigner who committed a crime and who had provided them with accurate and up-to-date information on the form. OK.

As for the (obviously) far and away greater percentage of Thais who commit crimes ... well ... mai pen rai,

I did my 90 day report ar Nakhon Sawan this morning.

I walked in, handed over my passport, they scanned it, printed the form, handed their bit to me to sign, stapled mine into my passport. I said thank you and left.

In and out in 1 1/2 minutes.

No sign of the dreaded form.

• Like 1

I have not read all the replies so apologies if this is already mentioned. Surely Immi have your bank details already ? Im on retirement extension and have logged copies of my working bankbook and bank letters of my 800 k account since being here. Possibly an idle bar steward just too lazy to do a normal lookup in the records ????

Best paul.

They already have bank a/c details from when renewing extension.

Only for those using the money in the bank option for extensions based upon retirement or marriage or having a Thai child or a foreign child attending school.

Those using the income option do not have to show bank books.

They don't have mine since I use the income option.

People working, teaching and etc do not have give bank details either.

I have not read all the replies so apologies if this is already mentioned. Surely Immi have your bank details already ? Im on retirement extension and have logged copies of my working bankbook and bank letters of my 800 k account since being here. Possibly an idle bar steward just too lazy to do a normal lookup in the records ????

Best paul.

Didn't want to write the above again.

Thailand did not use to be so complicated. If you saw a two ton elephant walking in traffic behind a Ferrari you didn't give it a second thought because that was Amazing Thailand. Yes you thought your eyes were playing tricks on you but nowdays tricks are being played on the minds of foreigners. This government seems to like to cry wolf and see what the effect will be. Never are rules presented in a clear concise way and it seems deliberate. There is one freakin word that would calm the masses and that word is OPTIONAL.

Is that for the people who do not understand "not mandatory "?
The reason that it is not mandatory is so everyone gets used to it before the time begins when it is mandatory.
  • Like 1

If you are concerned over (at some point) giving bank account information get a second (or third?) Thai bank account at a separate Thai bank maintaining minimal activity and balance and provide that number if indeed you are ever asked.

There finally was an article on one of the major Bangkok Newspapers about this. In summary, one of the Thai officials dismissed any complaints about the form. Sadly, it may gain momentum, even though it carries little if any official weight or official department markings

Several post have been removed for various reasons. Post will be removed without further notice. If you post disappears you can assume you steped over the line.

Most were in violation of at least one of these Forum Rules

"2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

Again

Re posting removed posts will result in a formal warning,

Just another reminder.

This story is beginning to break internationally and many reports suggest that anyone applying for a visa to visit Thailand will need to fill out them form. In fact, some stories read as if ALL visitors to Thailand will need to fill out the form.

Rightly or wrongly, this will be the inaccurate (verging on sensational) story that is designed to attract people's attention.

Properly managing the release of information to the international media is so important these days. Trying to correct errors and inaccuracies once the genie is out of the bottle is very difficult.

The bank info is provided every year to immigration in order to renew a retirement visa.

It is "getting a new extension of stay based on retirement", not "renew a retirement visa".

And no bank information is provided if one uses an "income verification" letter from their embassy.