BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Govt hints 'No' vote could restart charter process third time

Govt Hints 'No' Vote Could Restart Charter Process Third Time
By Pravit Rojanaphruk
Senior Staff Writer

14610568831461056927l.jpg
Puangthong, second from left join other academics at a press conference at Thammasat on Sunday to announce their opposition to the charter draft. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — A deputy prime minister yesterday played down the possibility of recycling a previous constitution in part or full should the public reject the junta-backed charter.

Wissanu Kreangam said Monday it would not make sense to revive or cobble together old charters for adoption if the public rejects the current proposal championed by the junta. Instead, he said it would make more sense to begin the whole process anew for a third time.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461056883&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-20

Nothing would suit this administration more , than a NO vote, perhaps all this self appointments and selection of Senators is a ploy, but a rejection of the charter is a possible licence to stay till 2020, the people are in a catch 22 dilemma , of course one hopes that some move would take place before 2020 , throwing the Thai military into oblivion as far as being involved with politics and just do, (with a 50% reduction in numbers ) , what they are paid to do , protecting Thailand from all those aggressive countries out there, one can only hope............................................................coffee1.gif

More confusion from the government that has declared desseminating confusion to be illegal.

It will be reintroduced over and over again until we get voter burnout and then it will pass. biggrin.png It happens a lot in the US. coffee1.gif

so if I am reading the article correctly and taking the correct meaning of what these people are saying, they are not protesting the Charter or its contents - they are making a political statement against the current government, the contents of the charter is of absolutely no interest to them even if it takes Thailand in the direction of a proper sustainable stable democracy, stamps out corruption and power abuse and an election next year

Sounds more like a protest from the Thaksin/red camp because it will limit their ability to steal from the people and will effectively prevent Thaksin from returning to Thailand without going to jail, his master plan is trashed if this charter gets approved

so if I am reading the article correctly and taking the correct meaning of what these people are saying, they are not protesting the Charter or its contents - they are making a political statement against the current government, the contents of the charter is of absolutely no interest to them even if it takes Thailand in the direction of a proper sustainable stable democracy, stamps out corruption and power abuse and an election next year

Sounds more like a protest from the Thaksin/red camp because it will limit their ability to steal from the people and will effectively prevent Thaksin from returning to Thailand without going to jail, his master plan is trashed if this charter gets approved

No, there was a previous article about the academic group rejecting the Charter, and they are doing so because they object to its content. Many of their criticisms are specific. YOu can find a detailed article from 3 days ago on BP.

Open your eyes, Smedly.

Next year, next 2 years, next 10 years........... and the BS baiting continues.

Sounds like the current government is trying to blackmail the voters into voting like they want them to vote and are using the threat of a new round of charter talks as the stick to beat back opposition

So 'No' = More Junta, 'Yes' = More Junta.

Not really much to vote on is there?

This charter creates a permanent military government. Its not really possible for an alternative to be worse, so there is no real reason to vote yes. I suspect many will vote no as a sign of rejection of the status quo, and in the current environment a big "no" to the charter may be the only way most people can say they disagree with the direction of the country.

How many more charters does old Meechai have in him I wonder?

luckovich04.jpg

It would only confirm that this government totally....(self-censored as writing it will be bad for my health).

No, there was a previous article about the academic group rejecting the Charter, and they are doing so because they object to its content. Many of their criticisms are specific. YOu can find a detailed article from 3 days ago on BP.

Open your eyes, Smedly.

I wish people would stop trying to tell me how to think, I can assure you my eyes are well open

There are many things about this government I do not like and have posted a few on TVF, people here are far to quick to criticize other posters because they think for some reason they know better, going forward I will gladly be proven wrong with some things but for now I will wait and see

So far with this charter the only thing that I find questionable that is worth a mention is the composition of the upper house and how it is selected but equally given the antics of previous elected governments I can see why caution is needed

Wissanu statement was consistent with his statement made on April 15th in reference to public rejection of the draft charter:

"the government would eventually be forced to produce a new charter" and that "it could resemble previous constitutions or draft constitutions created by charter drafters assembled during the Prayut Chan-o-cha administration"

However, the whole process will not be repeated!

On April 7th he stated, “If draft charter is rejected in referendum, new one will be passed without [public] vote.”

The junta will likely follow the same process the junta used with the 1997 draft charter that wasn't even offered for public referendum. Have the junta-appointed legislative assembly majority pass it, then obtain royal endorsement to put it into law.

The Thai public will not be worn down by successive drafts. It will simply be bypassed – for the better good of the military nation of course.