Thais lead the world in shopping via social media

webfact

Sorry, dont believe this for a second. Thailand is absolutely miles behind online and mail order shopping compared to most Western countries.

As for social media being the vehicle well, yes Thai people use social media a lot but so does the rest of the world. Thailand is finding out now what the rest of the World has known for a very long time,, online / direct selling is big business.

Percentage is high because functioning retail online shops are scarce. Especially the lack of PayPal sucks.

What do you mean "lack of PayPal"? I have a PayPal account linked to my Bangkok Bank account. Had it for years, I use it to send money abroad from Thailand.

The lack of it as a payment method in the online shops here. The usual bank transfer-receipt copy thing is annoying.

The comparison is with Asian countries. But with the success of ALIBABA in China. This statement has to be false. The US, the UK and Europe is excluded. Its just another Thai boast that Thailand is so good at everything and beats the world at everything. So don't worry Thailand will prove us wrong by winning the most Gold medals at the coming Olympics.

If you read the actual report from PWC (which is quite an extensive report from a reputed company), you'll see that it is the emerging economies that use social media for online purchases the most by far. Established economies predominantly use the traditional ebay, paypal, credit cards, company website etc.

Conclusion - There is no established infrastructure in most of these emerging countries for online purchases as we know it in the west. Social media is a recent phenomenon in emerging countries and seems to have leap frogged the traditional online purchasing infrastructure due to a lack thereof. The PWC report infers that purchases through social media in the established economies is increasing, to the detriment of traditional online infrastructural shopping. If the trend continues, social media transactions will increase sharply in established economies in coming years.

The report is well worth a read.

Also, out in the sticks people tend to (have to) shop very locally, with no large supermarkets nearby. Hence when Mrs BM has eggs or fish for sale from the farm she'll sometimes chat on FB with nearby friends, selling stuff at the same time. It's not unusual for one of the local roadside restaurants, shops or the cake baker to order via FB at 10 pm for delivery/collection at 6.00 or 7.00 the next morning. My wife and other family members will also get on their bikes and go door to door selling of various produce, which brings better prices than selling in bulk to wholesalers. Having worked for most of my career in a FTSE 100 sales / distribution company I don't believe I've come across a better salesperson / negotiator than Mrs BM.

Why pay a few hundred Baht per year for a good looking website as Facebook, Instagram and LINE are free???

Also pretty anonymous as for a domain name (.co.th, .in.th, etc.) IDs are needed and an official registration at the DBD is mandatory....

At www.paibkk.com we know everything about it.

Matches my observations, the wife buys pretty much daily from Facebook - kids clothes, her clothes, beauty products - often she'll see something in a mall then come back and grab it from a Facebook vendor at a fraction of the price. Pretty much the same way I use Amazon and eBay.

Payment is usually by bank transfer, and we've never had a problem with stuff not arriving - in a similar vein to eBay the reputation of vendors can be destroyed with bad and visible user feedback.

Archived