Ho Chih Minh is an impressive city

ev1lchris

Word has it that the opportunities for English teaching are good there - Higher pay rates, easier visa/work permit process, a good friend of mine has moved there recently to follow said opportunities, another friend is hoping to in the next few months.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of vacation time in Saigon, not just D1. Not once did I come across faeces or the smell of urine. Vietnam has been building public toilets at a rapid pace since 2014. Look for the Viet bank signs, which I've seen in Vung Tau and SGN. Phnom Penh, on the other hand, stinks.

I think you will find those are ATM machines.

No wonder it didn't flush properly.

Den

I've spent a lot of vacation time in Saigon, not just D1. Not once did I come across faeces or the smell of urine. Vietnam has been building public toilets at a rapid pace since 2014. Look for the Viet bank signs, which I've seen in Vung Tau and SGN. Phnom Penh, on the other hand, stinks.

I think you will find those are ATM machines.

I didn't elaborate properly. Banks are sometimes sponsors of toilet facilities in parks, with an attached ATM.

Banks sponsoring shit houses? WHAAT??? ..........Wait a minute....you are right Standard Chartered and Liverpool.

Den

Touts that will NEVER take a no for an answer and insane noise from a million scooters blasting horns non stop puts this little slum well below Phenom Pen in desirable places to live. Bangkok is a paradise in comparison

• Like 1

Having worked and lived in Vietnam during the 1960s...was a bit apprehensive as an American returning to the place where the US was involved in so much unnecessary human strife, misery, and destruction...

I was not certain how the Communist Regime would accept a former enemy...

Could not have been more surprised when people's faces would just light-up when they found out I was a returning American...they seem to go out of their way to assure me that all had been forgiven...yet not forgotten...the biggest tourist attraction in HCMC (former Siagon) was the Vietnam War Memorial...I attended of course...and after viewing the captured US Military arsenal...and especially the pictures of people who were born deformed from the criminal use of agent orange to defoliate the Vietnamese forests...I could not put my mind around how they could now be so accepting of Americans...

Definitely visit Cam Ranh Bay and Nha Trang...you will not be disappointed...

Lovely people...smart...hard working,..approachable and lovely ladies...

Vietnam has progressed beyond my wildest dreams...from a war torn country to modern and thriving...

A must visit for anyone tired of the LOS BS....

ggt,What did you do there in the 1960s ?

I've never been to Saigon, and to me it will always be Saigon. Spent my time up in I Corps on a lovely expense paid vacation courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Been back in SE Asia for 15 yrs., never been back and I left nothing there I didn't want to leave. But I do luv the women. Quite a few around Udon, if you can find them.

I've been visiting hcmc on and off for the past 12 years or so. The hassle factor with touts that was so prevalent a decade ago is pretty much a non issue now provided you stay out of the nasty backpacker ghetto. The city has changed so much for the better. Cleaner, amazing food, rooftop bars, etc. It blows bangkok out of the water as a place to visit and live now, although I'm sure many who have not visited recently will disagree.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Having worked and lived in Vietnam during the 1960s...was a bit apprehensive as an American returning to the place where the US was involved in so much unnecessary human strife, misery, and destruction...

Could not have been more surprised when people's faces would just light-up when they found out I was a returning American...they seem to go out of their way to assure me that all had been forgiven...yet not forgotten...the biggest tourist attraction in HCMC (former Siagon) was the Vietnam War Memorial...I attended of course...and after viewing the captured US Military arsenal...and especially the pictures of people who were born deformed from the criminal use of agent orange to defoliate the Vietnamese forests...I could not put my mind around how they could now be so accepting of Americans...

Vietnam has progressed beyond my wildest dreams...from a war torn country to modern and thriving...

As an American, you sure are Anti_American. Obama must be your man because he is too! Get over it! Shit happens during war!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ggt,

I lived in Saigon for 7 years. The so-called "communist regime" was and is just another kleptocracy. VNese communism was in large part: "if someone has something you want, you steal it from them."

Property was one of these things. And after stealing the house and/or property you sell it for profit.

Many Southerners do not like Northerners nor the VNese government. The Politburo is entirely composted of Northerners. The traffic cops you see are usually Northerners.

The VC did a lot of the work, only in the end to get shut-out by the Northerners.

As for the "war museum," yes bad things were perpetrated by the US and it should be remembered. And the VNese were killing VNese as well. But don't expect the state run media, education system, or even people to every tell you the truth about it.

• Like 2

I was in HCMC 7 days ago. I found it to generally appear cleaner than Bangkok. The ability by many to speak English a lot more prevalent. Yes in the Markets they are a lot more in your face. With"What you looking for Sir. Can I help you" Where you from? But generally still polite people. Taxi scammers annoying and you have to watch quoted prices on tours learned that the hard way. But had to say apart from one annoying porter at a hotel I found the staff helpful. And they advised me what I should pay for services. After that was cheap. Vietnamese food is nice and inexpensive . I bought meals generally for about 70,000 dong each, Saigon beer 20,000 dong. Next year will hopefully do HCMC, Da Nang, Hue and Hanoi before heading through Lao back to the Isaan. I am not a big City person but liked HCMC better than I do Bkk. Vietnam in 10 years I think will be one of the Leading lights in SE.A

High on my bucket list of places to check out.

I have heard many say it is now a great place to visit and even live.

But since relocating to Thailand, I have learned it is sa very good idea to really know a place before deciding to live there.

First impressions can be very misleading.

• Like 2

Stay away from the tourist traps of Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vien and you'll find a city where no-one wants to cheat you at all. I have never lived anywhere with such low prices and honest people. Even my Chinese wife was stunned by their honesty (privately admitting that she didn't understand why they didn't cheat her as had the positions been reversed the Chinese would have cheated them).

• Like 2

I m surprised by the bad press here about touts and cheating. I visited in Dec/Jan and even in the ghettos it was easy to handle and IMHO much less a problem than in BKK (not to mention the Indian gentlemen in Pattaya).

I did not have any bad experience and people were helpful to an extent that surprised given the attitudes of some backpackers.

Also the remarks about the traffic dont sink in with me. I had to catch a train in the evening and had to pass across town for some distance. It was rush hour but nothing in comparison to BKK and the rate was good and no attempt at ripping off. Try that in pattaya without a bulletproof west or an RPG7 to back up your point of view on pricing.

Women also seemed more level headed than in Thailand. I m not talking about working girls. Ever spoken with a Thai lady about art? Never happened to me in xmany years. In Vietnam within a few days. The people are better educated than in Thailand on average at least.

Too bad there is no Vietnamese community in Thailand of any size like in Cambodia (Nonkhai, Nakhon Phanom etc. dont really help the central and southern areas).

• Like 1

I m surprised by the bad press here about touts and cheating. I visited in Dec/Jan and even in the ghettos it was easy to handle and IMHO much less a problem than in BKK (not to mention the Indian gentlemen in Pattaya).

I did not have any bad experience and people were helpful to an extent that surprised given the attitudes of some backpackers.

Also the remarks about the traffic dont sink in with me. I had to catch a train in the evening and had to pass across town for some distance. It was rush hour but nothing in comparison to BKK and the rate was good and no attempt at ripping off. Try that in pattaya without a bulletproof west or an RPG7 to back up your point of view on pricing.

Women also seemed more level headed than in Thailand. I m not talking about working girls. Ever spoken with a Thai lady about art? Never happened to me in xmany years. In Vietnam within a few days. The people are better educated than in Thailand on average at least.

Too bad there is no Vietnamese community in Thailand of any size like in Cambodia (Nonkhai, Nakhon Phanom etc. dont really help the central and southern areas).

Hahaha! Sorry, I had to laugh at your remark about talking art with Thai ladies. I'm with you. The Viet girls are pretty savvy and definitely "more level headed."

It would be great if there were a big Viet section in Bangkok with restaurants (I miss affordable phở) and bars like in my Canadian city. Alas, I think the two cultures would not get along -- more problems from the Thai side, methinks.

First post :

" I was pleased with the city and I think in 5 to 10 years it could be as desirable to live in as Bangkok. "

I don't think so;

I was living there nearly 30 years ago and it was pleased to live there ; we had some old french cars as a taxi, Renault 4CV and old Citroen 11 CV ;

Easy to cycle in Saigon at that old time, but now ..nearly impossible ...

Hope one day they, Cambodia and Burma all become an alternatives to Thailand.

Burma (now called Myanmar) might be. Cambodia, highly doubtful. Nice country and people, but too dirty (rubbish everywhere), chaotic and corrupt. It's like Thailand 30-40 years ago.

If you "worked" in Vietnam in the 1960s you mean you fought in the war. I don't think the concept of western expats living in Asia took off before about the 1980s. Maybe a little earlier in Thailand, but unless you were insane, you wouldn't have gone to Laos, Vietnam or Cambodia. Too dangerous.

Nowadays few Vietnamese would harbor any resentment towards Americans for what happened to their country just 4 or 5 decades ago (whatever you were doing there in the 1960s I'm sure back then there would have been resentment towards you but definitely NOT now). Plenty of tourists and expats and the behavior of the current lot is much more likely to affect perceptions of you than what happened before most of the current generation were even born (the Vietnamese population is still overwhelmingly young).

• 2 weeks later...

all this talk is pretty cheap. I m different...clap2.gif Just booked my ticket to SGN.... That's the best argument when discussing the place :) In a few weeks I have all the authoritative updates on Pho, sidewalks, bathrooms, those traffic hassles, smelly backpackers, British girls with big butts and boobs down to their knees etc.

I was in Saigon for a couple of nights in Feb just before new year. I really liked it, but only really saw district 1 and the route to the airport. A more pleasant city centre than Bangkok. I do understand that the suburbs can be pretty rough though.

• Like 1

all this talk is pretty cheap. I m different...clap2.gif Just booked my ticket to SGN.... That's the best argument when discussing the place smile.png In a few weeks I have all the authoritative updates on Pho, sidewalks, bathrooms, those traffic hassles, smelly backpackers, British girls with big butts and boobs down to their knees etc.

Another thing to check out is he attitude of vendors. I've hear they can be really obnoxious if you show interest, but don't buy..

Crossing the road is an interesting experience.. I noticed bikes give way/go around you, but cars (mostly SUVs) don't...

• Like 1

I was at that notorious Ban the (?) market near the backpacker ghetto and opposite the main municipal bus station. When I checked thoroughly the merchandise they quickly gave up. At one place I found the same shirts I usually buy in Phnom Penh (I pay USD 8 instead of the 12-15 asking price - I buy at least 4 at a time and I m a return customer). When they started asking USD 20+ I offered them to supply some shirts for 10-12 USD a piece. Too bad I had no camera out to take a photo of the lady's face. I told them I pay USD 8 in PP. That was the end of it. They go for tourists who do not know SEA and skin those. When they encounter an old street dog like me they back off without much argument.

The vendors are OK in comparison to PP and not really a big deal. Also the bag snatching etc is not that big a deal IMHO. Before I went last year I checked the online reports on those incidents. They seem to follow a pattern. All cases I found involved women only and mostly middle aged and not so middle anymore ladies. In short, people who wont fight back and resist. Moreover, the people appeared not too familiar with SEA. This does not excuse the crime of course. It just means that the likelihood of a robbery is uneven distributed across the tourist population.

Edited by mike2011

Burma (now called Myanmar) might be. Cambodia, highly doubtful. Nice country and people, but too dirty (rubbish everywhere), chaotic and corrupt. It's like Thailand 30-40 years ago.

Nice country and people, but too dirty (rubbish everywhere), chaotic and corrupt?

​Isn't that Thailand now?

Anyhow, if one think there are many motorbikes inn Thailand, have a look at Vietnam.

Imagine, all these drivers want to have a car in the future. That would be some traffic.

• Like 1

I think it's worth mentioning the girls are beautiful and bang like a shutter in a storm!
As for them being friendly to Americans they fought with them against the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) so why wouldn't they be in Saigon/HCMC?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno abut the Pho in the morning I love the Bahn Mi in Vietnam,BBQ Pork with lots of vegetables and chilli in a super-crusty,French-style mini baguette for breakfast and very cheap also.
And as you say you can have a true conversation with the super-friendly locals in Vietnam,the men actually talk to you and are genuinely friendly,the polar opposite to Thailand!