Foreign tourist viciously beaten by drunken Thai men

webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was someone standing inside the building with a hand-held camera/phone filming this farang patting a dog? Something else must have happened to cause them to start filming.

It's not, it is the security footage from the Tesco store being watched on a monitor later, and somebody filming the monitor screen.

Ah. I'm too high-tech for Thailand. smile.png

Update: Foreign Tourist Viciously Beaten by Drunken Thai Men

%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B9%80%E0%

PATTAYA: -- At 12:30 AM on Thursday 21st April a 20 year old Thai woman stepped forward as an eyewitness to the previous night’s vicious attack by the two Thai men.

20 year old Miss. Kingkaew Mungkobklang claimed that she had seen the foreigner arrive at the scene, walking in a manner that suggested he was in a drunken state. She said she also witnessed a group of local youths attack the man.

Acting on her information Pattaya police were able to arrest a gang of four teenagers, all under the age of 15, around the convenience stores location in Kao Talo. The youngsters claimed that the foreign man had punched one of them and they had acted to revenge their brother.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/crime/223145/update-foreign-tourist-viciously-beaten-drunken-thai-men/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-04-21

If you watch the video he walks out of sight round the corner and then quickly comes back into view with the 3 in pursuit, no idea what happened round the corner, he was not just attacked sitting on the ground, watch the video.

Maybe not quickly. There was some sort of very obvious edit and no visible timer that I can see.

He could have been gone for minutes or even hours. And a whole load of stuff that might have happened on camera may have been edited out.

You don't get beaten up for nothing.

What a superficial comment. I expect you mean to add ....even by a pair of cowardly drunks who take it in turns to kick a man in the head while he is sitting on the ground showing no aggression?

Sure, there is always a reason, very insightful of you. Things like: I need your money more than you do, I don't like the way you are looking at me, my girlfriend left me for a guy that looks vaguely like you, beating you makes me feel better about the bad hand I have been dealt in life, it makes me feel powerful etc, etc. Maybe not a reason that seems sensible to the general public but the assailant(s) always has a reason. Just ask the bike racers that beat the innocent teenager to death at the roadblock they erected the other day. It made perfect sense to them.

happy Joe, on 21 Apr 2016 - 05:28, said:

I lived many years in Pattaya.

Never, never have I seen Thais men beat a stranger for no reason.

I believe that this information is incomplete.

So the comments that follow will be pure fanciful speculations as usual.

Deserved to be viscously beaten? what is it? the law of the jungle? or Pattaya has it's own laws

where people can be pummeled to the ground just because they said something that

someone didn't like?

I'm freaking surprised it doesn't happen more often!!

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the beat down..

There are just some rude, better than everyone else tourist (both men and women), peckerheads that treat Thai's like garbage..

I standby biting my tongue, holding back on confronting tourist myself when I witness the stupid things they say/do to Thai people..

So, I do agree! A majority of the time, Thai's just don't go off and beat the crap out of tourist for no reason.

I basically agree with you Joe, and I've also lived here for many years.

My first reaction when i read the title was 'here's Thai Visa preaching to the choir again' ... this forum is packed with angry people who love to hate Thailand, the Thais and everything Thai. Why did they come and why do they stay is worth questioning, but not the subject here.

However, don't you think we need to acknowledge that :

1) Racism against white people is growing in this country, and it is growing fast. The people in power (and that includes religious power) have not only done nothing to alleviate the problem, indeed they have consistently added fuel to the flame, and right now this tendency is getting worse (though it must be noted that the preceding governments were just as ill-intended, if less vocal only because it was not so much 'in the air' at the time).

2) People never beat other people 'for no reason'. There is always a reason, albeit very seldom a good one. Indeed, is there ever a good reason to beat someone senseless if we call ourselves a civilized species ? So the real issue here is not 'did these guys have a reason', right ?

3) There are lots of examples of Thai people going amok, lots of examples of Thais beating up strangers or other Thais, and the fact that you're not there to see it when it happens doesn't make it less real. During Songkran, here in Pattaya, a 16 year-old teenager lost his life in a gang fight, execution style. Something similar happened in Bangkok were one hundred guys killed a 17 year old boy by stoning him to death. The mind boggles at such a degree of barbaric violence.

Generalization is not going to solve the problem. Denial is not going to solve the problem. Thai bashing is not going to solve the problem.

So what is the solution ? More police ? well, that's been tried before ... did it ever produce any deep change, in Thailand or elsewhere ?

And also, where is the problem ? In education (or lack thereof) ? In politics ? In social inequality ? In 'human nature' (if there is such a thing) ? In sociological factors such as religion, customs, beliefs, family organization ?

The population of the world is becoming more violent, uncaring, thoughtless and I believe the causes are from misdirected anger, financial problems, dysfunctional relationships, jealousy and the over consumption of alcohol, and drugs. In many countries, discrimination is also a factor. Not so much here in my opinion.

In view of the foregoing, I've always recommended taking self defense lessons and carry a legal weapon that can be used to strike in seconds to cause intense, non lethal pain, enabling the victim to retreat immediately. A metal pen is one example or keys on a short wooden or aluminum rod.

When an aggressor approaches, standup if sitting, raise both arms, raise your voice to a attract witnesses, and be prepared to block a right or left punch. Back away and if a security camera is nearby try to get the attack on film. Running away while zig zagging to avoid any potential gun fire is generally the best option especially for women. Always be aware of people behind you. Learn how to break a choke hold.

Normalcy bias is common with tourists, that travel to foreign countries and walk around alone at night without asking questions,

This is all prudent advice no matter where you live. The problem is that Thailand somehow lulls foreigners into a false sense of security. It's anything but safe. In some respects, I feel safer in Bangkok. I would not even consider walking around late evening in places like Singburi, Lopburi etc. I have seen some very nasty stuff happen out in the open when people exit the bars.

The population of the world is becoming more violent, uncaring, thoughtless and I believe the causes are from misdirected anger, financial problems, dysfunctional relationships, jealousy and the over consumption of alcohol, and drugs. In many countries, discrimination is also a factor. Not so much here in my opinion.

In view of the foregoing, I've always recommended taking self defense lessons and carry a legal weapon that can be used to strike in seconds to cause intense, non lethal pain, enabling the victim to retreat immediately. A metal pen is one example or keys on a short wooden or aluminum rod.

When an aggressor approaches, standup if sitting, raise both arms, raise your voice to a attract witnesses, and be prepared to block a right or left punch. Back away and if a security camera is nearby try to get the attack on film. Running away while zig zagging to avoid any potential gun fire is generally the best option especially for women. Always be aware of people behind you. Learn how to break a choke hold.

Normalcy bias is common with tourists, that travel to foreign countries and walk around alone at night without asking questions,

That is a reasonable post for most of it, the problem is nobody knows what would have happened if this very obviously drunk guy who was on his own had retaliated in any way (I have my own thoughts on that), we could be looking at an entirely different outcome maybe even fatal, he probably did the best thing he could have and retreated to somewhere were other people were present, maybe he started to take a piss round the corner who knows, it seems to me a got off reasonably light and did the right thing considering he was drunk and outnumbered.

Cowards are seemingly brave only when they are in a group of their own kind. When they are alone, more often than not they are consumed by their own insecurity, loneliness and lack of confidence.

They remind me of the soi dogs in my vicinity. One on one, the dog will pretend to be doing something else, avoiding eye contact with me. But when 3 dogs meet together, they turn into Lord of the Rings.

The 3 Thais seem to be wearing Muay Thai shorts, and those kicks do resemble typical Muay Thai kicks.

I've been regularly cycle training in a northern village recently. Each time a dog chased me I yelled, stopped, and chased it back.

I was warned by my Thai partner that "if" a Thai "dog owner" didn't like me retraining their unrestrained dog in a harmless (to the dog) way, they might beat me up. And this is in a small quiet village.

So, in some cases these dogs threatened my life (and others), but I could get bashed for discouraging that. Yep, the bad falang MUST have caused it.

Need I remind you happyjoe that you do not see everything and the reason could be as simple as a misunderstanding or simply drunken stupidity. Consequently, your statement is as one-sided as those posters who immediately jump on the “Thais have to fight in groups” bandwagon.

There must be more to this. The guy just sits there and takes it, nearly looking as if hes taking whats coming to him.

If it was a random attack would you not offer some resistance?

If it was unprevoked, you would think he would at least be up and running, or going for the throat of one of them

Good point. I was thinking the same. 2 options possible here.

Example: Perhaps he disrespected the peasant sister of one of the guys thinking she was a prostitute(this confusion is quite possible for uninformed 1st timers).

Anything could have happened behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

Then again, maybe he just sat there thinking that it would be impossible to fight these 3 pieces of human excrement so I may as well just take it.

In any case, the 3 guys are in no way justified to kick this guy around like that and if he would've stood up and grabbed a lose pavement tile or any other broken piece of Thai society lying around and smashed it in their faces they would've ran away but as he just sat there the 3 cowards thought that he was scared and as we all know wolves only attack the scared animals.

He was lucky the shop owners helped him or else they would've kicked and jumped on him until he was dead.

Lesson number 1 when in Thailand; never sit back and take a beating. More and more excrement will join in to get a few kicks in at the foreigner. Always stand your ground even if it means dying in the process

My first reaction when i read the title was 'here's Thai Visa preaching to the choir again' ... this forum is packed with angry people who love to hate Thailand, the Thais and everything Thai. Why did they come and why do they stay is worth questioning, but not the subject here.

1) Racism against white people is growing in this country, and it is growing fast. The people in power (and that includes religious power) have not only done nothing to alleviate the problem, indeed they have consistently added fuel to the flame, and right now this tendency is getting worse (though it must be noted that the preceding governments were just as ill-intended, if less vocal only because it was not so much 'in the air' at the time).

2) People never beat other people 'for no reason'. There is always a reason, albeit very seldom a good one. Indeed, is there ever a good reason to beat someone senseless if we call ourselves a civilized species ? So the real issue here is not 'did these guys have a reason', right ?

3) There are lots of examples of Thai people going amok, lots of examples of Thais beating up strangers or other Thais, and the fact that you're not there to see it when it happens doesn't make it less real. During Songkran, here in Pattaya, a 16 year-old teenager lost his life in a gang fight, execution style. Something similar happened in Bangkok were one hundred guys killed a 17 year old boy by stoning him to death. The mind boggles at such a degree of barbaric violence.

Generalization is not going to solve the problem. Denial is not going to solve the problem. Thai bashing is not going to solve the problem.

So what is the solution ? More police ? well, that's been tried before ... did it ever produce any deep change, in Thailand or elsewhere ?

And also, where is the problem ? In education (or lack thereof) ? In politics ? In social inequality ? In 'human nature' (if there is such a thing) ? In sociological factors such as religion, customs, beliefs, family organization ?

Nothing is going to solve the problem. Nobody is even working on a solution ... in Thailand or elsewhere. All you can do is your best to keep out of harms way and be prepared for a bad situation. Globally, we are all being fed a regular diet of violence ... as a species we just can't get enough. The media thrives on it ... because it keeps eyeballs glued and/or sells newspapers and books. Kids are fed a steady diet from their early years with cartoons, movies and video games that celebrate and encourage violence. Governments extole the use of violence to solve their political agendas ... supporting unnecessary wars. Even our idea of a military hero has changed from Audi Murphy to snipers. It goes on and on. The people that speak out against it, be they clergy or lay, are labeled as living in the past or hopelessly naive. What can one do? We need to take a personal stand against violence and, in the words of Gandhi, "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Is that a fact !

Sadly , this kind of behaviour happens all over the world .

Australia for example .

King hits , or 'cowards punches' they are now called , have clamied the lives of many young men in the past year alone . These are proven in court to be Non provoked and for absolutely no reason , single blows to the head that ended innocent victims lives .

Go to any major city in Australia late at night and you will often find gangs of thugs who will bash you for your wallet and phone . No need to get verbal with these men , or women I might add ; they will bash you for no reason .

This behaviour of course happens in Thailand . It's a combination of being uneducated , poverty stricken background , little or no money and just not giving a <deleted> about tourists . A few bad eggs will spoil the lot for all the tourists and it's generally the drunk / drug affected gronks who get targeted .

I've seen numerous times a drunk farang become a target to the Thais and they basically become hunted . As soon as they out one step out of line it's an excuse to bash them and take their possessions.

Exactly my point. Well said

None of us know the exact circumstances of the event but it would surprise me if a lone person punched any of these young men since he was obviously outnumbered. However, I have seen drunken foreigners act in such a loud and obnoxious manner but most Thais showed tremendous restraint until the foreigner actually touched someone. For sure, since the young men were all minors, their parents should be held responsible and admonished and pay compensation to the foreigner and the youths should spend some time for 'attitude adjustment'. Youth problems have increased everywhere in the World. A lack of discipline and parental observation as well as no one teaching them anything about ethics, right and wrong, and responsibility permeates every society. Couple this with a Songkran that is out of control and fueled by alcohol and you have a prescription for continued mayhem. Unless the police, parents, Temples/Churches. schools and local governments start to take these problems seriously- we will see more of this aberrant behavior. It's sad- not much future for these people- whether in Thailand; the USA or Europe. Lost generations because no one did anything about it.

Thai people are violent. Not just men. You can accept it and take care, Leave, Or not come in the first place. From early childhood they are so repressed they develop little notion of self-control. Just a different way to be.

Wrong

Thai people are BECOMING violent.

Childhood is now an incoherent mix of scolding and all is permitted situations, which makes them lost confused and short fused.

Children are bags left in cars while we go at funerals, buried alive when unwanted, or spoiled little brats dressed up as poodles or dolls and which issues are never addressed as persons but as fashion accessories.

Before values, sense of self and the others, the community, sharing, giving were part of education.

Now it's total oblivion and chaos, they can go and ride motorcycles without helmet, who cares / mai pen rai/ if they have an accident they will learn.

Wrong

Thai people have always been violent. 50-40 years ago the rural areas were the wild west. Plenty of murder and violence, perhaps more than we see today.

Excellent well thought out post, and I agree totally, especially the racism that is becoming more obvious. I also have lived in this country a long time, from xmas '84 'til early '94 I lived in Pattaya between trips to sea, and I never saw this kind of behaviour. The rude and impolite behaviour of some farang men has become known about Nation wide, as Thais from every village and Province has some family member in that city I'm not keen on Thai men, but at least they are mostly polite and well mannered, and on a recent trip to Pattaya I noticed how scruffy and ill mannered some farang blokes behaved. This problem will increase when the world economic crisis worsens and may even collapse, if that happens we will be targeted. I think that the Anglo/Saxon peoples are in for some blowback.

Archived