Foreign tourist viciously beaten by drunken Thai men

webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I lived many years in Pattaya.
Never, never have I seen Thais men beat a stranger for no reason.
I believe that this information is incomplete.
So the comments that follow will be pure fanciful speculations as usual.

Anything he may have said or, more likely, was understood to have said, does not warrant what these cowards did. The only way he deserves that is if he threw the first punch, which given that he is clearly having trouble standing, seems unlikely.

How is your asinine remark any less speculative? This kind of cowardly thuggery is far too common in Thailand.

All I see in this video is a farang patting a dog.the gets belted.if the farang does stand up to these lads.it could have been a lot worse.they could have had knives tucked away out of sight.hope he is ok.and the cops arrest this lot

It's never Thai man attack farang always Thai men why are Thai men do frightened to take on someone in a fight even amongst themselves it's the pack mentality

Never one to one but I might loose and only come second in a proper fight

It's never Thai man attack farang always Thai men why are Thai men do frightened to take on someone in a fight even amongst themselves it's the pack mentality

You don't get beaten up for nothing.

In the big cities in the UK it is common, I was walking along the pavement in Glasgow minding my own business when four Eastern Europeans led by one of them, made a move towards

me shouting in a foreign language, good job I was quick off the mark, or goodness knows what might have happened. to me.

In the ten years I have been in Thailand, I have walked many times in the busiest parts of Bangkok and Pattaya after dark, without any problems at all.

I am not saying the guy deserved it, but the chances are he did something to provoke them.

Just like your comment? You are speculating also based on only your point of view.

I think Happy Joe has made a good comment.

First of all this Farang is pissed drunk tha'ts why he doesn't fight back, and yes I to believe he started the quarrel,

it does not make this right by no means, no one deserves to be beaten over some words, too bad there is no sound

but it would not surprise me that he said something else before they jump him again.

Would like to hear both sides of this story though.

That is one of the reasons I never get drunk.

Fight back with 2 Thais...and they can produce the knives easy so then you dead

Struggling to see how he is provoking anything sat on the ground seemingly silent. These scumbag boys who beat people in packs deserve LONG sentences and very heavy fines. Pure cowardice like this is standard ops here, i've NEVER seen a Thai fight another 1 on 1 (at least outside a boxing ring).

Pathetic

yeah you right and never seen 1 on 1 in Thailand and they act like a packs and is true and if they can not handle they bring others or bring knives or gun...this is Thailand at moment ..the law have to be severe.

And this technique usually allows them to win, doesn't it?

I do not talk to, nor make eye contact with, Thai men unless I am transacting business with them. To do so is to encourage trouble.

Well that's an unusual way to live. If I was that afraid, I would leave.

I have been approached by Thai men quite a few times, in a market, bus station etc. As long as there appearance is ok, and they are not drunk, and

just want to be friendly, I will be quite happy to talk to them.

I do not talk to, nor make eye contact with, Thai men unless I am transacting business with them. To do so is to encourage trouble.

Well that's an unusual way to live. If I was that afraid, I would leave.

I have been approached by Thai men quite a few times, in a market, bus station etc. As long as there appearance is ok, and they are not drunk, and

just want to be friendly, I will be quite happy to talk to them.

Agreed, some of my most philosophical brainstorming sessions have started in this manner.

Thai people are violent. Not just men. You can accept it and take care, Leave, Or not come in the first place. From early childhood they are so repressed they develop little notion of self-control. Just a different way to be.

"Thai people are violent". What a load of nonsense, of course there are exceptions, but Thai people in general are very non aggressive.

what a stupid statement! You are saying there has never been an unprovoked attack in Pattaya? All sweetness and fun in the Pattaya heaven.

Read the sentence again Kingalfred.

First of all this Farang is pissed drunk tha'ts why he doesn't fight back, and yes I to believe he started the quarrel,

it does not make this right by no means, no one deserves to be beaten over some words, too bad there is no sound

but it would not surprise me that he said something else before they jump him again.

Would like to hear both sides of this story though.

That is one of the reasons I never get drunk.

I usually end up pretty pissed on Friday nights. However, I don't end up staggering through the streets, but choose to get a taxi to my door.

Nothing wrong in having a drink if you behave in the correct manner.

They wouldn't attack without a reason? Normally this is true. In some cases the person could be completely insane and just randomly bash anything around. This was not the case in this video. They had a reason. It may have been an invalid or pathetic reason such as:

They were in a bad mood and felt full of anger and just struck out at the first thing they saw.

He reminded them of someone they didn't like and just rage attacked.

They didn't like the way he looked at them and thought he meant hostility when he was just not able to focus his eyes.

Lots of reasons, just none that a sane sober person would consider valid.

In the video, he is clearly having trouble moving around. Possibly intoxicated (maybe some other form of disability). Out of shot most likely something happened.

He then sat down, possibly realizing that he's too intoxicated to stand, and he would take damage if he fell to the ground from a standing position as opposed to a sitting position. In this situation it is actually kind of smart. If you are not in a position at all to fight back, trying to minimize damage is best. Sitting down and taking a non-hostile pose would limit the amount of attacks done and damage taken.

However, it is also clear that the guys who attacked are extremely bad to the core people. After the first onslaught they *returned* to fight more and attacked the head.

These types of individuals should face severe jail time or otherwise removed from society and put into rehab.

In thailand, I presume there will be no punishment?

Well then Joe, you just keep happy and if you have time, carry out an investigation as to the reason for the attack.

I'm sure the previous posters will take heed of what you have written and feel sorry and ashamed they have posted without making sure they have the same "Real World" sense that we are sure you have.

Many Thai men are just itching to do this, and the women stand and laugh. It seems to be fairly nationwide, though in Pattaya which attracts all the dross from around the world, and the lowest levels of Thai society, it's probably going to kick off more often.

So, you've lived in a lot of places in Thailand, have you? Can you tell us another province you've lived in where you've seen this attitude? Bangkok, maybe? Say, around Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza? Anyplace else? Surin? Buri Ram? Sara Buri? Nakhon Sri Thammarat (just out of curiosity, do you even know how that is pronounced)? I've lived in quite a few places and I've seen a lot of drunken Thai guys I would not want to antagonize, but none of them have ever assaulted or threatened me.

well put. sure many thais may be itching to beat a foreigner especially knowing they will almost certainly get away with, however if you are polite and keep to yourself it is unlikely you will be the one they choose to vent on.

amazes me how well we get treated by thai men, imagine if thai men went to a western country by the thousands and started<deleted> all the western woman. would be interesting to see how the western men in that country would take it. probably not so well.

Agreed. Even drunk Thais are polite. You have to start something.

IMO, maybe this "foreigner" said something, did something to really upset these guys. Same as some of the other posters, I have been here a good while but the times change. If you want to get knee walking don't go by yourself. For the most part some of the happy folks are correct. Never had a problem. There is a new breed, watch the Thai news. Not all but there is an undercurrent and if the view of "going one on one" is your view then you had better be ready and don't flinch. Too many weapons and if you look at some the more slender Thai guys, don't kid yourself. They are fast.

Seems to be an increasing trend all over Thailand, bash the farang, no longer LOS.

Indeed. It seems like 15 to 20 years ago, there was an unwritten law that foreigners were off limits. Today, it seems exactly the opposite.

The bloom has definately come off Thailand's rose. Sad times ahead, I think, as Thailand continues to sink deeper and deeper into the pit.

I don't see them frightened by a one to one fight there; just that the foreigner refuses the fight (Good to him).

And about the "pack mentality", they probably looked to much TV News from abroad, like about American gangs or UK hooligans... I fail to see the difference.

Archived