Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

Seems that since the rainy season has ended all the mountains are covered with haze that obscures visibility and makes meaningful photography futile. Was up in Doi Tung yesterday and it was very disappointing

I've heard about the haze in March, April, May attributable to mountain burning .... but this is November!

Does anybody who's lived here long-term know if this haze is here to stay until June 2007 and the

next rainy season? I've read websites such as 1stopchaingmai.com and GT-rider.com, and they say that this time of year (especially December) is the best for photography. But, it seems the opposite is true!

Anybody know the real scoop on the haze? Is it everywhere in N. Thailand, will it go away for a while?

Thanks All!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live near the mountains in Loei province. I think the haze is just part of the climate. I do not think burning has anything to do with it. We have a lot of sugar cane around here and when they burn that, it makes it worse but days without haze are few and far between. I've been waiting for three years for the haze to go away. :o

Yeah, I've heard about the smoke from Indonesia making its way all the way here. But, their dry season is ending now and their monsoon season beginning. That should help, but I don't know if that's the whole story.

Any other long timers here know if November/December are hazy months. Some websites I mentioned above said that the weather should be clear and good for mountain photography ... but I'm really beginning to have my doubts now.

Yes, I think I would say the northern Thailand is the haziest place that I have ever lived.....I mean haziest because of natural happenings....I'm ruling out air pollution since I've lived in places that were hazier than northern Thailand but only because of pollutants.

Chownah

Seems that since the rainy season has ended all the mountains are covered with haze that obscures visibility and makes meaningful photography futile. Was up in Doi Tung yesterday and it was very disappointing

I've heard about the haze in March, April, May attributable to mountain burning .... but this is November!

Does anybody who's lived here long-term know if this haze is here to stay until June 2007 and the

next rainy season? I've read websites such as 1stopchaingmai.com and GT-rider.com, and they say that this time of year (especially December) is the best for photography. But, it seems the opposite is true!

Anybody know the real scoop on the haze? Is it everywhere in N. Thailand, will it go away for a while?

Thanks All!

I think what you're probably seeing is "radiation fog"; brought about by the cooler nights we've had lately. When the daytime temps drop a little it should lessen after the early morning hours.

Thanks All!

I think what you're probably seeing is "radiation fog"; brought about by the cooler nights we've had lately. When the daytime temps drop a little it should lessen after the early morning hours.

Simply, it's visible humidity... Very common this time of year

Ajarn Answered:

"Simply, it's visible humidity... Very common this time of year"

Will it go away as the season progresses? I'm hoping to take some excellent photos!

Thanks everyone!

Sure, but I don't know when... :o

Sure, but I don't know when... :D

Anyhow, it isn't gone yet. Yesterday I made a motorcycle tour through the mountains (from waterfall Khun Korn to the hotspring at the Kok River).

Below you find some pictures I made.

Limbo :o

post-6305-1163037740_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1163037761_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1163037782_thumb.jpg

I made a road trip yesterday myself ... to Phu Chi Fa. We took the hard road thru the mountains going east from Chiang Rai. The landscape must be gorgeous ... but the haze simply took away much of the scenery. I took no pics because of the conditions.

It seems the higher you go the more hazier it gets. I can see why ... the mountains are still wet and I guess the haze is evaporating water.

From what I understand now it will not go away until late in the hot season another 5-6 months away.

If anybody knows different please do tell ... perhaps a day or two of clear after a rain perhaps.

I think you are all living in the wrong region.

Down here in the central there is no haze and they days are only hot around 12 to 2 pm with cool nights down to about 22 or so. Most days I sit on the balcony with a cool drink and listen to the birds and watch the butterflies. Sometimes nothing goes past the house for 5 minutes. Ahh, blessed peace and tranquillity until I get my son back from school.

:D:D:D:o:D

sumatra fires

i think this might be the reason

Sumatra is SW of Thailand. The prevailing wind in Thailand at this time is from the NE so that does not add up :o

Also not believe it is humidity as the reletive humidity is way down.

That is correct, Rimmer, the winds have shifted and pushed the smoke back into Indonesia. If you read the news you will have seen that now Indonesia is having problems with their own smoke and Singapore and Malaysia have already cleared. If they are clear it is highly unlikely to even reach Hua Hin, much less Chiang Rai.

Archived