Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

In my neighborhood the rice harvest is going full bore now and will be done in about a week....then a bunch of people up the road a ways will burn thier fields before planting garlic.......just when you think the weather has changed and the haze will disappear, the plot changes.

Chownah

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems that since the rainy season has ended all the mountains are covered with haze that obscures visibility and makes meaningful photography futile. Was up in Doi Tung yesterday and it was very disappointing

I've heard about the haze in March, April, May attributable to mountain burning .... but this is November!

Does anybody who's lived here long-term know if this haze is here to stay until June 2007 and the

next rainy season? I've read websites such as 1stopchaingmai.com and GT-rider.com, and they say that this time of year (especially December) is the best for photography. But, it seems the opposite is true!

Anybody know the real scoop on the haze? Is it everywhere in N. Thailand, will it go away for a while?

Thanks All!

Look at it from the bright side, the haze allows for great pictures early in the morning at sunrise and even later in the day in and around ChiangRai

Seems that since the rainy season has ended all the mountains are covered with haze that obscures visibility and makes meaningful photography futile. Was up in Doi Tung yesterday and it was very disappointing

I've heard about the haze in March, April, May attributable to mountain burning .... but this is November!

Does anybody who's lived here long-term know if this haze is here to stay until June 2007 and the

next rainy season? I've read websites such as 1stopchaingmai.com and GT-rider.com, and they say that this time of year (especially December) is the best for photography. But, it seems the opposite is true!

Anybody know the real scoop on the haze? Is it everywhere in N. Thailand, will it go away for a while?

Thanks All!

Look at it from the bright side, the haze allows for great pictures early in the morning at sunrise and even later in the day in and around ChiangRai

post-38111-1164260787_thumb.jpg

post-38111-1164260911_thumb.jpg

post-38111-1164261234_thumb.jpg

post-38111-1164261654_thumb.jpg

post-38111-1164261870_thumb.jpg

post-38111-1164261921_thumb.jpg

Great pictures !!!!

:o:D:D

Thanks, just wish I have more time and better digital stuff.

have some more pictures coming up

I can see clearly now the haze is gone!

For the past week, so far, the haze obscuring views of the mountains has lifted. Just in time as colors are changing and the views are excellent.

The past seven days has seen me ride over 1000 kms. thru Mae Salong, Doi Tung and Doi Chang, Wawi, Phu Chi Fa and all along the Lao/Thai border region. The weather is great for riding and the clarity is excellent. Finally, I'm able to take clear photos of/in the mountains that do justice to their beauty.

1000 spectacular photos later, I am now peacefully resting in CR and getting ready to ride to CM later this week to see what lurks over that-a-way.

For those so inclined, and who perhaps have not made the journey, the road to Wawi is a great ride lined by wildflowers and provides nice photo ops. Pu Chi Fa is glorious now too. I stayed over night for 500 BHT, took photos in the afternoon and then again the following morning ... and they are spectacular. Because of its altitude, morning views still contain haze ... but of the good variety. My morning photos of Pu Chi Fa are stunning, clouds below you with the rising peaks of Lao jutting above ... and crystal clear. The contrast is beautiful.

a little bit hazier than say a couple of days ago , but nothing to get concerned about. visibility right out to the horizon. must be heat haze , it builds up during the day.

but it aint 'alf hot. should be cooling down by now.

i'm starting to miss the rainy season already.

There is nothing to complain about here in Chiang Rai at the moment. The air is cool, clean, fresh and the sky is virginal blue, so I would almost say that this is the best time of the year.

I am actually thinking about taking the bicycle to Mae Sai to check if everything is alright there as well. That's the least I can do being moderator of this forum :D

Limbo :o

See the photo I just took from my 'office' window:

post-6305-1164948223_thumb.jpg

Archived