Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely hazy here on the eastern seaboard today... visibility is maybe 600-700 yards.

:o

Please excuse the imperial measurement... I'm a golfer... and Thai golf courses are measured in yards not metres... and I reckon I can see just a bit further than a long par 5 today... but not 2 par 4's.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this this the smog I have ever experienced in Chiang Rai. The haze did not use to bother me. But this time my eyes sting from the suspended smoke, and my lungs hurt. I am not a smoker (used to 15 years ago) but this is baaaad.

Lots of small fires, low intensity fires going all over the place. As you know, warm air rises. But if the fire is not very intense, the volume of hot air is not enough to take the smoke to higher altitudes. So the smoke from these small fires rise a bit, cool down and then just hang there, almost hugging the ground.

This sucks!!! REALLY SUCK! !@#!@#$!

Seems that since the rainy season has ended all the mountains are covered with haze that obscures visibility and makes meaningful photography futile. Was up in Doi Tung yesterday and it was very disappointing

I've heard about the haze in March, April, May attributable to mountain burning .... but this is November!

Does anybody who's lived here long-term know if this haze is here to stay until June 2007 and the

next rainy season? I've read websites such as 1stopchaingmai.com and GT-rider.com, and they say that this time of year (especially December) is the best for photography. But, it seems the opposite is true!

Anybody know the real scoop on the haze? Is it everywhere in N. Thailand, will it go away for a while?

Thanks All!

• 3 weeks later...

You CR and CM lot have my deepest sympathies, this isn't just haze you have but pollution. :o

I remember when the forest fires were so bad in Indonesia that the haze reached as far as Koh Phangnan. The air smelled and when my husband went out fishing in his boat he said by about 1km out he could barely make out Koh P anymore. Easy to get lost in the ocean if you can't see where anything is :D

Hope all of you don't suffer long-term health problems because of the smoke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived