Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

Don't think its Haze at all, were 50kms east of Chiang Rai, we've had cool clear fresh nights with mist in the morning for the last few days. Last week I was considering using the Aircon; This week weve Switched the Fans off and are sleeping under a duvet! . Feels just like it did last November . Winters come 6 weeks early ?. Hope not we need more rain.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kinda heard about this place...so thought Id pop in see what its like :o

so all rain and haze and grey? did CR move to England? :D

<<runs off to hide in sunny Rayong>>

Miggies,

The climate in Chiang Rai is most conducive to the cultivation of cacao beans. Yeah, the stuff that CHOCOLATE is made from. And we know that you do like chocolate. Maybe you should come up and visit!

McG

Warning of some bad weather.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/26Sep2007_news18.php

WEATHER PREPARING FOR THE WORST

Storm, flood disaster plan approved by cabinet

POST REPORTERS

A five-year master plan to cope with floods, storms and mudslides was endorsed by the cabinet yesterday amid widespread floods in the provinces. The plan will be implemented next year deputy government spokesman Natthawat Sutthiyothin said. It provides a framework and directions for providing effective emergency aid to victims and strengthening the ability of communities to cope with natural disasters.

These include preventative measures, irrigation management and emergency measures.

The weather office warned that some provinces in the North would feel the effects of tropical depression Francisco which was last night centred in the Gulf of Tonkin and moving westwards into Vietnam. Although it was weakening as it hit land, rainstorms and strong winds were predicted for the Northeast and northern provinces such as Phetchabun, Nan, Phayao, and Chiang Rai.

In Ayutthaya, six districts remained flooded _ Bang Ban, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Bang Pa-in, Phak Hai, Sena, and Bang Sai. Bang Ban was hardest hit.

Thousands of rai of banana farms were damaged and historical sites were at risk of being flooded.

In Phra Nakhon part of Chao Phraya riverbank was reinforced for fear of erosion caused by the rising river.

Don't think its Haze at all, were 50kms east of Chiang Rai, we've had cool clear fresh nights with mist in the morning for the last few days. Last week I was considering using the Aircon; This week weve Switched the Fans off and are sleeping under a duvet! . Feels just like it did last November . Winters come 6 weeks early ?. Hope not we need more rain.

We live in Chang Rai (south) and had the same experience. Several cold nights.....

Can anyone tell me how the winter here is. What is the day temperature and night temperature? Do we

need sweaters on day time (as western european)?

Winter in Chiang Rai - I can only comment on Last Year. I don't have a thermometer so can guess at the Temperature. As I recall it, Cool evenings , Nights and mornings. could be 10 degrees + and then rapidly back to 30 degrees + soon after the Sun Comes out. Still T-shirt weather for us Northern Europeans but occasinally wear a jacket early morning. Best to stay in Bed until the sun comes up if you can. I see Thais in Wooly Hats and duvet jackets. Its my favourite Season , If we are staying home in the evening, we generally sit around a small fire. Beautiful clear skies, funny thing about the winter here; no rain. I don't think it rained from November to February.

Winter in Chiang Rai - I can only comment on Last Year. I don't have a thermometer so can guess at the Temperature. As I recall it, Cool evenings , Nights and mornings. could be 10 degrees + and then rapidly back to 30 degrees + soon after the Sun Comes out. Still T-shirt weather for us Northern Europeans but occasinally wear a jacket early morning. Best to stay in Bed until the sun comes up if you can. I see Thais in Wooly Hats and duvet jackets. Its my favourite Season , If we are staying home in the evening, we generally sit around a small fire. Beautiful clear skies, funny thing about the winter here; no rain. I don't think it rained from November to February.

is it really true about the beautiful clear skies ?

some chaing raiers are constantly speaking of a haze, I still dont know if its a joke of some sort or not.

10 degrees is rather cold :o

is it really true about the beautiful clear skies ?

some chaing raiers are constantly speaking of a haze, I still dont know if its a joke of some sort or not.

10 degrees is rather cold :o

Thursday's rain pretty well washed it away Grover. Took a couple of mates to the airport about 6.30 this morning and there were actually patches of fog, or low cloud, lying around near the old Chiang Mai road.

^ cheers sceadugenga and thanks for not saying the word haze.

I see by your change in avatar you have arrived at the acceptance phase.

I read about the stages of healing some where... rage, grief, acceptance then revenge on those that mocked you. :o

That's the spirit :D

CB

Keeping within the topic of weather. The forecast for Johor Baru where I have been for the last few days has been 25-32,with afternoon showers consistently. The three day forecast is 25-32 - and they have been correct.

CB

Off Topic.

We might accept a report on the 365/24 smog cloud hanging over Chiang Mai though. :D

Didja get laid in JB? Boy I could tell you a story about that town which would last about 2 seconds on ThaiVisa. :o

The rainy season does not usually end until about mid-October. Some days will be fine and others rainy as in the last week or two.

The recent haze is probably smoke from the south. When the cool season kicks in the winds will come from a northerly direction and the atmosphere will be a lot clearer.

The rainy season does not usually end until about mid-October. Some days will be fine and others rainy as in the last week or two.

The recent haze is probably smoke from the south. When the cool season kicks in the winds will come from a northerly direction and the atmosphere will be a lot clearer.

We seemed to think it was coming down from China, there seemed to a be a high pressure hanging there to the North. Probably burning their nuclear waste. :o

We seemed to think it was coming down from China, there seemed to a be a high pressure hanging there to the North. Probably burning their nuclear waste. :o

I think so too. But a little bit better the last couple of days.

Will we see what is happening after the tropical storm Lekima has hit (if it will hit).

We will probably get some rain Wednesday and Thursday.

:D:D:D

The villagers are raking their leaves etc into hopeful heaps, some are already attempting to light them but only achieving a slow smolder.

Could this be taken as a sign as an early end to the wet season?

Something like swallows arriving early in Europe?

Going to work this morning , there was a nip in the air with a slight breeze.

Is winter season coming? Hope so.

I hadn't noticed it myself but the Mrs got her fleecy lined pajamas out last night which is always a sign of a temperature drop.

Will we see what is happening after the tropical storm Lekima has hit (if it will hit).

We will probably get some rain Wednesday and Thursday.

Lekima was late and we got some rain Friday and today Saturday.

I would like to go up in the mountains now when we have som fresh air and good views!

:o:D:D

Floods disrupt Thai-Burmese border trade

Mudslides block road in scenic Doi Suthep

POST REPORTERS

Chiang Rai _ Flash floods, triggered by run-offs from overnight rain on a mountain, disrupted Thai-Burmese border trade yesterday and caused damage worth millions of baht.

The popular Indochina market in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district was inundated, as was the Thalor market on the Burmese side of the border in Tachilek.

Vendors raced against time to beat the rising floods by piling sandbags to protect their goods, as water rose to 150cm in some areas, officials said.

"The flood is more violent than last year," said Pakaimas Viera who runs a duty-free shop in Tachilek. "Many goods are wet, with damage probably worth millions of baht," she said.

The heavy rainfall is the result of tropical storm Lekima, which has lashed the North and Northeast since late last week, causing deaths and damage to households and vast areas of farmland in many provinces.

Many villages in Mae Sai and Mae Chan districts have been hit hard by the storm. A fierce river current also damaged a bridge in Muang district, according to Chiang Rai governor Amornphan Nimanand.

Residents fish in flooded fields near Wat Klong Rua in Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district. Some roads in the district were flooded after heavy downpours caused by tropical depression Lekima.— CHINNAWAT SINGHA

This bridge was washed away by raging floodwaters in Muang district of Chiang Rai yesterday. — — THEERAWAT KHAMTHITA

In Chiang Mai, mudslides blocked part of a road leading to the scenic Doi Suthep mountain. Officials yesterday warned of another mudslide in the area.

post-8092-1191848442_thumb.jpg

Weather expert turns up heat on the dangers of eating raw food

Temperatures this year have been the highest for the past 50 years, with the average temperature increasing by one degree Celsius according to the Thai Meteorological Department

Published on October 9, 2007

Chongkolnee Yusabye, director of the Meteorological Development Bureau, said that after monitoring the impact of global warming on Thailand for the past five years, the agency predicted that the impact of natural disasters would increase in future.

Chongkolnee was speaking at a seminar called "Life, shock, climate change: how to survive the impact of global warming", held to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Krungthep Turakij newspaper, which is part of the Nation Multimedia Group

She said the average temperature across the country had increased in both the winter and summer seasons.

The average temperature last November was the highest for 56 years, up by 1.7 degrees Celsius on the average temperature for winter. The average temperature last December increased from 24 degrees Celsius to 25 Celsius.

Between 1951 and 2007 the number of cool days - classified as below 16 degrees Celsius - has decreased particularly in Chiang Rai and Nakhon Sawan provinces. Information from a monitoring station in Chiang Rai province found that the number of cool days had decreased from 90 days in 1951 to 70 days in 2007.

Chongkolnee said that average summer temperatures had risen, especially in Tak province, where the average temperature was 43.7 degrees Celsius in 1983 and 44 Celsius last April. The number of hot days in the province increased from 16 to 25, the highest number for 54 years, over the same period.

The second hottest province was Phetchabun, where the average temperature rose from 41.7 Celsius in 1992 to 42.1 Celsius in 2007, and the number of hot days from 14 to 24.

The rising temperatures across the country have prompted health experts to warn the public against eating under-cooked food, which could cause severe diarrhoea.

Dr Thirawat Hemachudha, a neurologist at Chulalongkorn University Hospital, said the Public Health Ministry should issue regulations to prevent restaurants from serving semi-cooked dishes like spicy raw meat salad.

Rising temperatures could affect the life cycle of E coli and V cholerae bacteria, particularly in half-cooked dishes. These parasites can cause severe diarrhoea, Thirawat said.

"If the temperature increases by 0.5-1.5 degrees Celsius it can affect the nature of the parasite. It can reproduce more easily and thus come into contact with humans more frequently," he said.

Janjira Pongrai,

Duangkamol Sajirawattanakul,

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

• 2 weeks later...

Archived