Banana boat death - Ubon mother calls for justice from jetski operators

webfact

sounds like she had a subdural hematoma, something completely treatable with good prognosis. she needed an emergency ct scan first then a brave non neurosurgeon on the phone or video link with one {assuming a remote hospital} nowadays you can even watch it on youtube first

Or she simply had a near drowning because she couldn't swim and then succumbed.

Much more likely.

ag

ain. going by the info / history from the story the belief that the delay in diagnostic test led to the demise goes against simple drowning

Diffuse axonal injury occurs in about half of all severe head traumas, making it one of the most common traumatic brain injuries. It can also occur in moderate and mild brain injury. A diffuse axonal injury falls under the category of a diffuse brain injury. This means that instead of occurring in a specific area, like a focal brain injury, it occurs over a more widespread area.

In addition to being one of the most common types of brain injuries, it’s also one of the most devastating. As a matter of fact, severe diffuse axonal injury is one of the leading causes of death in people with traumatic brain injury.

i said "sounds like" not "is" because in fact i cannot say 100%

again going by the history available from the story as it was thought the delay in diagnosis was the reason for the poor outcome.

No, you can't say 100%, probably not even 50%, especially when the only facts you know are:

- She had head injuries

- She wasn't treated in a timely fashion

- She died

So please don't bother PM'ing me your medical qualifications. Even if you are Dr. Robert Spetzler you would wait for the proper scans before even trying to diagnose the injury.

CSI:TV already has enough cops, doctors and forensic experts to solve the case, thank you.

w00t.gif

Or she simply had a near drowning because she couldn't swim and then succumbed.

Much more likely.

Blimey, amazing how some people read too much into it, while others read too little.

She died Monday from head injuries.

Seems pretty unequivocal to me.

except i never stated the diagnosis. just a possibility aka educated guess

your argument against what others have posted would have teeth if you could use scientific factual data even if you google it instead of using bitterness and hostility.

shouldn't be difficult to do.

basically all you need to do is explain why subdural hematoma and diffuse axonal injury are not possibilities.

These banana boats operators are becoming increasingly common in popular places where people come to beat the heat along rivers during the Song Karn period.

They've appeared a couple of years ago where I was in central Thailand. They operate in incredible conditions, the jetski , an old model with open blades of course, cutting through (almost literally) masses of people playing in the water when leaving they stand or returning to it, just yelling "move away" with large arm movements. Incredible. I'm waiting for the first fatality to happen.

At least for now there's only one of them operating, so the scenario of this tragic accident couldn't have happened there. For how long?

Oh purlease....

"sounds like she had a subdural hematoma,"

Pretty specific considering you only knew she had a head injury and died later.

Anyway, I look forward to your next miracle diagnosis, Dr. House.

Oh purlease....

"sounds like she had a subdural hematoma,"

Pretty specific considering you only knew she had a head injury and died later.

Anyway, I look forward to your next miracle diagnosis, Dr. House.

refer to post #36 read it a few times perhaps and something might click, hmm maybe not

try to use critical analytical scientific-medical information (googling it is fine) rather than using resentment. resentment isn't really the way to argue much of anything let alone something scientific-medical.

don't be bitter-resentful towards people.

a PM is just that, a PM. if you don't score high in the integrity category need not wonder why

sounds like she had a subdural hematoma, something completely treatable with good prognosis. she needed an emergency ct scan first then a brave non neurosurgeon on the phone or video link with one {assuming a remote hospital} nowadays you can even watch it on youtube first

How many neurosurgeons do you think are in a 100km radius of the hospital where she was treated and were available at a hospital?? She was most likely transported to Ubon Ratchathani town which has perhaps a handful pf neurologists and neurosurgeons in the region. Upon arrival there would have had to be an assessment and consultations. Outside of Bangkok, trauma care is rudimentary. Foreigners just don't comprehend that if you have a serious incident like head trauma,drowning, or a heart attack with vfib, you will most likely die or be rendered a vegetable. You die because there is no paramedic system, no quick delivery of the patient to a hospital, no fully equipped and properly staffed trauma center that can treat the patient. Someone dressed up in white or wearing a nurse's hat does not make them a trained competent medical interventionist.

agree with you on most points but something ive seen firsthand is the training residents get and its quite intensive. they have a 3 year em residency also. anyway it seems many a rural hospital doc might venture some burr holes in a very acute situation??

http://www.scancrit.com/2012/05/20/hole-head/ interesting read

How many neurosurgeons do you think are in a 100km radius of the hospital where she was treated and were available at a hospital?? She was most likely transported to Ubon Ratchathani town which has perhaps a handful pf neurologists and neurosurgeons in the region. Upon arrival there would have had to be an assessment and consultations. Outside of Bangkok, trauma care is rudimentary. Foreigners just don't comprehend that if you have a serious incident like head trauma,drowning, or a heart attack with vfib, you will most likely die or be rendered a vegetable. You die because there is no paramedic system, no quick delivery of the patient to a hospital, no fully equipped and properly staffed trauma center that can treat the patient. Someone dressed up in white or wearing a nurse's hat does not make them a trained competent medical interventionist.

agree with you on most points but something ive seen firsthand is the training residents get and its quite intensive. they have a 3 year em residency also. anyway it seems many a rural hospital doc might venture some burr holes in a very acute situation??

If you read the article properly, that's after a scan, not from your quack-style diagnosis.

If you read the article properly, that's after a scan, not from your quack-style diagnosis.

FYI (not that logic and reason might sink in) just about 100% of board exam questions do not give the scan results and or other test results that spells out the likely, most likely, or least likely diagnosis. they are actually akin to a history (known from this story) and the person sitting for the exam needs to combine knowledge, experience as well as suspicion and another important terms like "consistent with" and "differential diagnosis" once again 90% of diagnosis comes from the history.

your approach reminds me of an acquaintance of mine that would argue like there is no tomorrow and refuse to accept statements from qualified physicians in the discussion. he would continue to make his own proclamations despite experienced attending physicians trying to explain to the contrary. we did not allow his attitude and behaviors to upset us because we understand alcoholism.

i believe using logic and reason with some people regardless of how knowledgeable they may be is simply futile. theres no reason in the world or in any medical literature that goes against SDH and DAI not being distinct possibilities for death in head injury. i will not participate in your circus of resentment, ignorance, and name calling any more Mr little God.

Archived